Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - blocked from CLIs?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex - blocked from CLIs?

@Anonymous wrote:

yeah, you may be waiting awhile.. when I had credit crash in 2008 amex cancelled my 30k limit account and gave me a $500 account as a consolation prize..  (which was nice as they never closed it despite the hundreds of thousands in debt that defaulted subsequently..) but, despite paying on time everytime for the last 6 years Ive never seen a CLI..  thinking I might need to just apply for a new card from them.  I feel Im on some kinda fixed credit line don't cancel don't raise card.

I applied originally in 2008 and provided 4506-T to get my SL raised. It was never CLD or Closed even when I had several derogs on reports over the years.

Never got an Auto-CLI or had the nerve to request a CLI until middle of last year. Lol.

Message 21 of 22
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

Re: Amex - blocked from CLIs?

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Jamex wrote:

Each time the denial letter cites the fact that my CR shows a seriously delinquent account and an unsatisfactory payment history. Which is true - but was also true when I was approved.

You're trying to compare getting approved for X with getting approved for X+Y.  You qualified for the former but not for the latter.  Simply getting approved in the first place doesn't mean that you'll be approved for a CLI down the road if your credit doesn't meet the criteria for the CLI.

If you keep getting denied and haven't addressed the reason(s) for denial then why are you expecting different results?  CLI's are based on credit.  They're not just handed out in exchange for time.

We always recommend addressing derogs first as they tend to have significant impact and hold one back.  If you have not already done so then hit the Rebuilding subforum to see what you can do about them.  Then request your CLI's once your reports have improved.

But with internal scores, it's not quite that simple. A positive history w Amex, can sometimes overcome negatives on decline letters.  But I agree, it's not a matter of 60 or 90 days.

In my case, I had a charge off w Amex, and was surprised they let me back in.  But my first few CLI attempts gave me the "Your American Express account indicates previous delinquencies"" letter.  So I can't "fix" the charge off ... but with time, I'm now getting CLI's.

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.