Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex canceling Secure Messaging

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Amex canceling Secure Messaging

I logged on to send a message this morning and was greeted with this :

In order to better serve you, we now offer Live Chat with a Customer Care Professional as an alternative to Email. If you send us an email between now and August 30, it may take up to 72 hours for you to receive a reply. After August 30, the option to Email Us will no longer be offered.

Just a heads up.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Amex canceling Secure Messaging

Thanks for the heads up ...Interesting indeedSmiley Surprised

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 17
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

It's better I guess. I used to miss Live Chat on AMEX. They are little late to the party...

Message 3 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

In order to better serve you, we now offer Live Chat with a Customer Care Professional as an alternative to Email. If you send us an email between now and August 30, it may take up to 72 hours for you to receive a reply. After August 30, the option to Email Us will no longer be offered.

Just a heads up.

Interesting!   I don't think Chat is a great substitute.  I use secure email where maybe I don't have time to talk (either via chat or on the phone), for stuff that isn't time critical.  Not sure of the rationale, my employer encourages customers to use chat as it is cheaper than handling phone calls (a CSR can multi-task between 5 chats, whereas a customer on the phone might complain about a CSR switching between 5 calls!), but email, with no real-time requirement, is the cheapest.

Message 4 of 17
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

In order to better serve you (Hey AMEX...isn't this an oxymoron??) , we now offer Live Chat with a Customer Care Professional as an alternative to Email. If you send us an email between now and August 30, it may take up to 72 hours for you to receive a reply. After August 30, the option to Email Us will no longer be offered.

Just a heads up.

Interesting!   I don't think Chat is a great substitute.  I use secure email where maybe I don't have time to talk (either via chat or on the phone), for stuff that isn't time critical.  Not sure of the rationale, my employer encourages customers to use chat as it is cheaper than handling phone calls (a CSR can multi-task between 5 chats, whereas a customer on the phone might complain about a CSR switching between 5 calls!), but email, with no real-time requirement, is the cheapest.

PLUS 1 ! ! !

On another forum, it was (correctly) pointed out that, with losing email capability, one loses the documentation in writing of a query and response.  It was also pointed out that, when AMEX CSR was confronted by this, their response was that "you can print the chat transcript".  All well and good if you're near a printer.  Not so good if you're using a mobile app at 35,000 feet in a flight across the USofA!! They also admitted that there was no other means to save a chat session provided by them, but that one could "cut and paste" the chat into a word processing document.

Tell me again about AMEX's vaunted customer service????

Message 5 of 17
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Meh. I'll call. If it's important I will ask if the line is being recorded. If it's very important I will put it in writing and mail certified with return receipt (RRR or RRE). For almost everything chat is fine. They can multitask and so can I, same with a call as I put them on the Polycon speakerphone and keep doing other stuff. 

Message 6 of 17
thecentury303
New Contributor

Thx for the head sup !!

But IMHO, AMEX secure message is nearly useless nowsday. Especially if they start to offer a live chat.

Capital One Cash Rewards for New Comer: $1,500 (09/12), Local Credit Union: $1,500 (10/12), Chase Freedom: $1,500 (04/13), Discover IT: $2,100 (04/13), AMEX Gold Charge Card: NPSL (06/13), AMEX BCE: $6,000 (06/13), Chase United Explorer: $6,000 (10/13), Chase Ink Cash: $3,000 (10/13), Barclays Arrival Platinum: $3,000 (10/13), US Bank Flexperk Travel Rewards: $5,000 (01/14), Capital One Venture: $5,000 (01/14), Citi AA World MC: $6,500 (01/14),Citi AA Executive World Elite MC: $5,000 (01/14)
Message 7 of 17
thom02099
Valued Contributor

I just went in to my AMEX on line account, and I'm not getting any prompts or information about live chat. There's still the option to send secure email available.  Is this card specific, perhaps?  Not seeing it with my Gold/Zync/Clear combo. 

EDIT:  Nevermind!  Found it!  Have to open the secure messaging window and click on "ask a question" to get the prompt.  I was looking for something on the home page for chat!Smiley Surprised

Message 8 of 17
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm totally diggin' the live chat though.

Message 9 of 17
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

@lhcole77 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm totally diggin' the live chat though.

+ 1

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.