Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex card 9y after BK?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex card 9y after BK?

Could anyone help with advice on whether to bother applying for any type of AMEX? I was considering the SPG Amex for the hotel benefits. May also want a Gold or Platinum again.

in 2008 I filed chapter 7 in which an AMEX OPEN business card was included. IIRC it had a balance of $5-7k. I also had an AMEX Platinum at the time which had always been current for ~20 years.. The business, a medical practice, went BK and took me with it. They cancelled my Platinum card even though it had always been current since the 1980s.

Today I have 2 VISA (local bank) and 1 MC (Capital One) with credit lines of 15k/15k/10k (all over 5 years old and I use $4-8k at any given time), a 2 y/o 15-yr home mort (payment $3800/ mo, balance $375k), a 60k HELOC (max $63k), a Wells Fargo LOC of $150k with $0 balance. Also have Porsche lease of $1000/ month since 2015.

My FICO score is 777 last month and my Mint app credit check says 724...not sure why they’re so different. The credit report lists only the BK (on all three agencies) discharged in Jan 2009. There are no other derogatory records, no late payments. Income is over $500k yearly.

Is AMEX likely to deny me a card at this point? Would the SPG be ‘easier’ to get than a gold or platinum? Because of my bk history any credit application makes me nervous, but particularly Amex given all I have read about their blacklisting.

Also at what point can I get the agencies to remove the BK reporting? I filed in Oct 2008 and the discharge was Jan 2009.

Thank you, I appreciate any advice!

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex card 9y after BK?

If you search around here for AMEX blacklist, you should find reports from people in similar situations.

I think what I remember reading is, if you are on a blacklist, they will immediately deny you, without doing the hard pull. If that's the case, you have nothing to lose by trying.

Do you get prequals?

2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 2 of 28
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

You are eligible for AMEX 5 years and 1 Month post BK filling, so you are good to apply.

Both SPG and charge cards have more relaxed underwriting. App for SPG first, then if approved. Apply for Platinum the same day.
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

No prequals from Amex but plenty from others.
Message 4 of 28
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Went bk7 2007, AMEX IIB, got back in last year almost 9 years , now have 3 cards. Like said make sure your Ex is not frozen and apply for the Amex you want. If you dont get a hp , may mesn you are still on bl but i doubt that will happen. Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Could anyone help with advice on whether to bother applying for any type of AMEX? I was considering the SPG Amex for the hotel benefits. May also want a Gold or Platinum again.

in 2008 I filed chapter 7 in which an AMEX OPEN business card was included. IIRC it had a balance of $5-7k. I also had an AMEX Platinum at the time which had always been current for ~20 years.. The business, a medical practice, went BK and took me with it. They cancelled my Platinum card even though it had always been current since the 1980s.

Today I have 2 VISA (local bank) and 1 MC (Capital One) with credit lines of 15k/15k/10k (all over 5 years old and I use $4-8k at any given time), a 2 y/o 15-yr home mort (payment $3800/ mo, balance $375k), a 60k HELOC (max $63k), a Wells Fargo LOC of $150k with $0 balance. Also have Porsche lease of $1000/ month since 2015.

My FICO score is 777 last month and my Mint app credit check says 724...not sure why they’re so different. The credit report lists only the BK (on all three agencies) discharged in Jan 2009. There are no other derogatory records, no late payments. Income is over $500k yearly.

Is AMEX likely to deny me a card at this point? Would the SPG be ‘easier’ to get than a gold or platinum? Because of my bk history any credit application makes me nervous, but particularly Amex given all I have read about their blacklisting.

Also at what point can I get the agencies to remove the BK reporting? I filed in Oct 2008 and the discharge was Jan 2009.

Since you filed BK Oct. 2018, it should be removed Oct. 2018. You may be able to get it removed up to 6 months early on TU, up to 3 months on EX, usually no early removal on EQ.

The 5 years 1 month post BK is if you did not include Amex in you BK, not sure if you included them in your BK.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the advice!

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you filed BK Oct. 2018, it should be removed Oct. 2018. You may be able to get it removed up to 6 months early on TU, up to 3 months on EX, usually no early removal on EQ.

The 5 years 1 month post BK is if you did not include Amex in you BK, not sure if you included them in your BK.

Thank you!

Amex Open for business was included in the bk, but the Plat card wasn’t since there was zero balance.

Do I just send a “Goodwill letter” to the credit agencies for early bk removal or is it more complicated than that?

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Thank you!

Amex Open for business was included in the bk, but the Plat card wasn’t since there was zero balance.

Do I just send a “Goodwill letter” to the credit agencies for early bk removal or is it more complicated than that?

You can dispute online using the reason 'acct is too old to be on my report.'

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
You are eligible for AMEX 5 years and 1 Month post BK filling, so you are good to apply.

This typically applies if you did NOT include in BK.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.