tag
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Re: Amex card limit

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

AFAIK, revolvers were limited to four; business cards are separate and do not count towards the total.  You may have as many charge cards as you like/can be approved for.  

Is there a benefit in having more than 2 charge, i.e. if you have the Plat and the PRG, are there additional benefits from one of the other charge cards?

Unless it's for an additional sign up bonus or benefits (ie plat vs others), I don't think so. It may not even be worth it with all the AFs you'd pay on all the charge cards. 

I applied for the Green to try to get my foot in last month and after approved realized I should have applied for the PRG for the sign up bonus. I went ahead and did it and now I have a Green and PRG (yet my Green is SD'd and I don't list it in my siggy). For me there's no point in having both considering I have to PIF every month anyway. After the year, I will decide which one I want to actually pay the AF fee for and cancel the other. 

I would like to have the PRG but I don't wanna risk getting FRed by Amex and I was hoping to do it in January to get that maximum backdating effect. I was only approved for the Green last month and that was mainly because I thought I would get denied if I tried the PRG again.

Why would you get FR'd?

I'm pretty sure AMEX only does a FR when you're requesting a CL that exceeds a pretty large amount...or if you're apping for a revolver and the amount of open credit you have with them + the potential new revolver line is again an amount that would question your income. 

I was worried I would that I was going to get denied for the PRG because at the time I app'd for the Green and ED 5 days prior. I spoke to several CSRs and they told me I shouldn't worry about it and it would probably be approved. 

Message 11 of 24
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

AFAIK, revolvers were limited to four; business cards are separate and do not count towards the total.  You may have as many charge cards as you like/can be approved for.  

Is there a benefit in having more than 2 charge, i.e. if you have the Plat and the PRG, are there additional benefits from one of the other charge cards?

Unless it's for an additional sign up bonus or benefits (ie plat vs others), I don't think so. It may not even be worth it with all the AFs you'd pay on all the charge cards. 

I applied for the Green to try to get my foot in last month and after approved realized I should have applied for the PRG for the sign up bonus. I went ahead and did it and now I have a Green and PRG (yet my Green is SD'd and I don't list it in my siggy). For me there's no point in having both considering I have to PIF every month anyway. After the year, I will decide which one I want to actually pay the AF fee for and cancel the other. 

I would like to have the PRG but I don't wanna risk getting FRed by Amex and I was hoping to do it in January to get that maximum backdating effect. I was only approved for the Green last month and that was mainly because I thought I would get denied if I tried the PRG again.

Why would you get FR'd?

I'm pretty sure AMEX only does a FR when you're requesting a CL that exceeds a pretty large amount...or if you're apping for a revolver and the amount of open credit you have with them + the potential new revolver line is again an amount that would question your income. 

I was worried I would that I was going to get denied for the PRG because at the time I app'd for the Green and ED 5 days prior. I spoke to several CSRs and they told me I shouldn't worry about it and it would probably be approved. 

I mean I have two revolvers with them right now besides that charge card which I was approved for last month so I thought maybe that might have concerned them a bit. Strange how even though I have the most inquiries on my EX report, that hasn't really been that much of an issue with them in my case so perhaps I could try again seeing as how similar the underwriting standards for the PRG are. So far my Chase card has just started reporting to all three bureaus and no FR from that either.

The two revolvers I'm probably gonna consolidate the limits when I'm eligible next year and just upgrade that to an EDP anyway.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 12 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

explain a bit more OP 

Not sure what there is to explain. Other people understood the question. Seems to be three categories of people. Group one believes there is no limit on the number of amex cards a person can have, group 2 believes there is a limit of four personal cards and group three believes there is a limit of four cards total including personal and business. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Hah! Would be nice if we could have one amex thread without FR being discussed. Smiley Happy

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 14 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

at one point there was, when the ZYNC was a first class citizen, its packs were awesome, 2% on telecommunication bills  cell phone, cable bill. among others

This was one of my favorite cards!  

The dining pack was great and easily paid for itself with the $5 GCs and $50 Morton's dining credit.  Also, it was the only card that earned 2 MR Points at Costco with the free Green/Environmental pack.

Message 15 of 24
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Why would you get FR'd?

I mean I have two revolvers with them right now besides that charge card which I was approved for last month so I thought maybe that might have concerned them a bit. Strange how even though I have the most inquiries on my EX report, that hasn't really been that much of an issue with them in my case so perhaps I could try again seeing as how similar the underwriting standards for the PRG are. So far my Chase card has just started reporting to all three bureaus and no FR from that either.

The two revolvers I'm probably gonna consolidate the limits when I'm eligible next year and just upgrade that to an EDP anyway.

UW for all Charge Cards is the same. If you were approved for the Green, you could have also been approved for even the Plat. Good news is, if you apply for the PRG now and get denied, it'll be a SP. 

Message 16 of 24
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Hah! Would be nice if we could have one amex thread without FR being discussed. Smiley Happy

It's just that the horror stories really discourage me from wanting to do anything crazy with them. Asking a rep right now and she says that would be fine but I'm not sure whether to take her words at face value.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 17 of 24
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Why would you get FR'd?

UW for all Charge Cards is the same. If you were approved for the Green, you could have also been approved for even the Plat. Good news is, if you apply for the PRG now and get denied, it'll be a SP. 

I'm gonna go for it at your suggestion and the rep is also saying that would be fine. In January, I'll decide which one I would want to close.

And I'm getting this message so far.

"Apply for the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express

Since you're already an American Express Card Member, we can use some information from one of your current accounts to process your request. We'll just need to ask you a few additional questions. Please select one of the accounts below:"

Message 18 of 24
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Eh, I'll just try again in January, wait for an upgrade offer or wait a few more months. Instantly denied.

Message 19 of 24
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@AvadaKedavra wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Why would you get FR'd?

I'm gonna go for it at your suggestion and the rep is also saying that would be fine. In January, I'll decide which one I would want to close.

And I'm getting this message so far.

"Apply for the Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express

Since you're already an American Express Card Member, we can use some information from one of your current accounts to process your request. We'll just need to ask you a few additional questions. Please select one of the accounts below:"

I got that when I applied also. Was the sign up bonus displayed? I think it's 25k for 2k spend. 

Insta denied? Interesting...curious to know why...

Sure it's not pending? Mine was pending for security for a few days.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.