Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex card number before arrival

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex card number before arrival

Hey all,

I've heard stories of people getting their amex card numbers before the card arrives. My card is gonna be here next wednesday, and I wanna do some black friday shopping online. Does anyone know how this is accomplished? thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Amex card number before arrival

I'm not really sure. I was able to add the card to my login page before it gets here though.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 2 of 10
rlx01
Established Contributor

If available, it's shown online at time of application.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chalupaman wrote:

I'm not really sure. I was able to add the card to my login page before it gets here though.

I've got them in my online account. just havent arrived.

Message 4 of 10
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

When I was approved for the Everday card online, I was given this option. When I was approved for the BCE, I wasn't. You'll see it immediately after approval and I believe if you don't take advantage at that point you have to wait until the card arrives. Through chat I asked if I could have access to the number on my BCE account and was told I couldn't.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a 7-10 day message and was eventually approved, so i didnt actually have an approval page. guess ill just have to wait.

Message 6 of 10
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

I've heard stories of people getting their amex card numbers before the card arrives. My card is gonna be here next wednesday, and I wanna do some black friday shopping online. Does anyone know how this is accomplished? thanks

I am happy to finally get an Amex, but I want to share my frustration after getting the account # prior to the card arriving.  Maybe it's all just my isolated luck, but never the less.  

I opted for the temp number because I was going to use the Walmart discount offered through Amex for an online purchase.  I attempt to purchase the gift and when I put in the acct #, it warned me to verify the 4 digit security code and I did.  The same warning, so I go back and verify what I wrote down, again, another error warning.  So, I log onto Amex and it shows 3 pending transactions (2 separate for 1 dollar, which I am familiar with the first time a card is used and then 130 dollars).  Good, but no.   Walmart online still shows the item in the cart and the purchase not completed.  I call Walmart and they tell me that Amex hasn't approved the purchase.  I chat online with Amex and they say it is Walmart's issue because they approved it, hence, the pending charge.  The Amex rep tells me to re-contact Walmart and try again, so I did.  Same thing again.  Now I have 5 total pending charges, all which count towards the limit.  I chat online with Amex and the rep says Walmart hasn't completed the sale and that the pending charges will cancel out in 24-48 hours.  I call Walmart and talk to finance and they say that Amex is refusing the payment and even provided me with a series of codes to read to Amex.  This time I call Amex and speak to a hard to understand foreign dialect who assured me that I don't need to worry about fraud blah, blah, blah.  I tell him that I am the one trying to make the purchase so I know it isn't fraud.  He tells me that the pending charges will come off in 24-48 hours and maybe there is an issue with the temp. account number.  He is not interested in any codes from Walmart, so whatever.  I am beyond frustrated so I give up.  The next day I decide to log on and still see the pending charges on the account so I chat again.  The rep tells me it will take 8 days before it will cancel the pending charges.  I tell him what each rep has said thus far and he just apologizes.  So, I simply opted to use another rewards card for the purchase.

Again, maybe just my bad luck, but it has been a bumpy road thus far and the customer service is sub par and not on same page, as far as my very first experiences.  

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 7 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dapps06 wrote:

When I was approved for the Everday card online, I was given this option. When I was approved for the BCE, I wasn't. You'll see it immediately after approval and I believe if you don't take advantage at that point you have to wait until the card arrives. Through chat I asked if I could have access to the number on my BCE account and was told I couldn't.

Yes, this seems to be the case, available on some and not others (BC was also not eligible).

Message 8 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@VirtualCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

I am happy to finally get an Amex, but I want to share my frustration after getting the account # prior to the card arriving.  Maybe it's all just my isolated luck, but never the less.  

I opted for the temp number because I was going to use the Walmart discount offered through Amex for an online purchase.  I attempt to purchase the gift and when I put in the acct #, it warned me to verify the 4 digit security code and I did.  The same warning, so I go back and verify what I wrote down, again, another error warning.  So, I log onto Amex and it shows 3 pending transactions (2 separate for 1 dollar, which I am familiar with the first time a card is used and then 130 dollars).  Good, but no.   Walmart online still shows the item in the cart and the purchase not completed.  I call Walmart and they tell me that Amex hasn't approved the purchase.  I chat online with Amex and they say it is Walmart's issue because they approved it, hence, the pending charge.  The Amex rep tells me to re-contact Walmart and try again, so I did.  Same thing again.  Now I have 5 total pending charges, all which count towards the limit.  I chat online with Amex and the rep says Walmart hasn't completed the sale and that the pending charges will cancel out in 24-48 hours.  I call Walmart and talk to finance and they say that Amex is refusing the payment and even provided me with a series of codes to read to Amex.  This time I call Amex and speak to a hard to understand foreign dialect who assured me that I don't need to worry about fraud blah, blah, blah.  I tell him that I am the one trying to make the purchase so I know it isn't fraud.  He tells me that the pending charges will come off in 24-48 hours and maybe there is an issue with the temp. account number.  He is not interested in any codes from Walmart, so whatever.  I am beyond frustrated so I give up.  The next day I decide to log on and still see the pending charges on the account so I chat again.  The rep tells me it will take 8 days before it will cancel the pending charges.  I tell him what each rep has said thus far and he just apologizes.  So, I simply opted to use another rewards card for the purchase.

Again, maybe just my bad luck, but it has been a bumpy road thus far and the customer service is sub par and not on same page, as far as my very first experiences.  

I had two somewhat similar (but also different!) situations on my wife's new card.    In the first case, the available credit was $2K lower than it should be, and no indication of why.  After a long conversation, it turned out that there was a pending charge that the rep could see but wasn't visible to us.  Nice!  Also told it would drop of in 8-10 days and it did.

In the second one, every charge that had posted for the last 7 days, ALSO appeared, with slightly different wording, as Pending.   In this case though available credit wasn't impacted, so it didn't really matter but I wanted to understand what was going on.   I chatted with a rep, and that was useless script driven stuff, explaining what pending charges were, and how they reduce available credit (even though in this case they didn't!) and that if the merchant doesn't confirm them (they were also already posted) they would go away.   After about a day they did, so probably a glitch.

But annoying, especially now that Amex has removed the secure email option in favor of chat and calling.

Message 9 of 10
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

you had to request it at the time of approval. it gave you the option to see your number. if not you must wait now. no other way to retrieve it. good luck

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.