Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex card product change

tag
Cstl05
Contributor

Re: Amex card product change

thanks for the reply sir
Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, thanks
Message 22 of 30
Cstl05
Contributor

Bummer, called them and they said I could only upgrade my delta gold to another delta card..  No go on delta to blue i guess, oh well reconed my app
Chase Sapphire Reserve/Chase Sapphire Preferred/Ritz Carlton/Chase Freedom/Amex Blue Cash/Discover IT/Capital One Quicksilver/Bank of America Cash Rewards/Citi Costco/Citi Double Cash/Barclay Apple Rewards
Message 23 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

FretlessMayhem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
So one can get an annual fee card like Amex Gold which is generally easier to get and then do a PC to like Blue Cash before the annual fee is due?

A lot of forum members have done this, and it's probably still possible. However, during the credit crunch, there was always speculation if this would somehow red flag an account. 

My understanding is that you can't PC from a charge to a credit card and vice versa, although it never fails that someone posts an exception.

What I did was close my Gold and open a Blue --no wait, opposite order --before the fee on the Gold became due. It does show as a second account, but it's backdated to the year that the first card was opened, so there was no new account ding. There was a new hard inq, though, of course.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 30
Cstl05
Contributor

Oh i see, what is the difference between a charge and a credit card?  Arent the Gold delta and Blue cash both credit cards?
Message 25 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

gl4662 wrote:
Oh i see, what is the difference between a charge and a credit card?  Arent the Gold delta and Blue cash both credit cards?

Yes, those are both credit cards, so I don't know why they wouldn't let you switch. But AmEx periodically gets strange with the Delta Gold Skymiles card, acting as if it's their red-headed stepchild.

I was replying to a post where it was asked if a Gold (a straight Gold, with annual fee) could be switched to a Blue.

Charge cards have an annual fee, and they MUST be paid off every month (unless you have a taste for financial suicide, American Express style.)

Credit cards generally don't have a fee, although some do, but they allow you to carry a balance from month to month, although that's a terrible idea.

Charge cards:
Zync
Green
Gold
Platinum

Credit cards:
Blue
Blue Cash
Delta Gold Skymiles
CostCo
etc.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 26 of 30
Cstl05
Contributor

Yeah I called Amazon chase with a backdoor number, and they just closed that account for me and gave me the freedom card.  Is there a backdoor number for Amex that might be better than calling their regular number?  If not i guess I will try to recon again for the blue cash..
Message 27 of 30
Cstl05
Contributor

just called Amex again and finally PC'd to the blue cash NO problems!!  Card should be here in 7-10 days!!!!
Message 28 of 30
Cstl05
Contributor

quick questions with the PC change over will I still have to pay the delta gold annual fee?
Message 29 of 30
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Annual fee is only based on the card you have at that time. blue has no annual fee.

The reason you couldn't originally change from delta to blue is because not only does amex only allow you to change charge cards to charge cards but they only allow you to change credit cards within the same rewards programs to the same time.

Delta is considered a points rewards system, so you might have been able to change into Costco or Lowes card but not sure.

I have recently been PC all of our amex cards into things that will do us good.

Green = Zync

Blue = Hyatt

Platinum Cash business = Delta Platinum

trying to still find something for the plan jane Business Platinum but blue seems to be the only option and that's worse than the Plat. 

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.