Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex cards, need advice on which 1

tag
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex cards, need advice on which 1

NPSL == no preset spending limit, it means you aren't told your limit its usually based on your income and your payment history with AMEX and fluxuates monthly. for most people its at least 50% of your monthly income. If you are ever declined call in make a payment, customer service rep will then allow the charge and your internal limit will grow if your income supports it in a few months. 

When I last checked my Zync limit it was over $4000 (had $500 balance and checked my spending ability for a $3500 purchase approved. )

MR  == Membership Rewards its AMEX reward system  usually 1pt per dollar spend, you can redeem for resturant and store gift cards for a 1 penny a pt. AMEX gift cards are avaiblile but cost  1 pt per  .65 cent.You can also transfer MR points freqent flyer programs

Zync has the option to get Packs that give 2pts per $ spend on specific catagories. but Zync Reward program is slightly different it has MRE's  Membership Reward Express pt/s  they can't be transfered to other programs but can be converted to MR pts, if you have a Green/Gold/Platinum card. 

With AMEX charge cards the basic rules are,  use it, pay in full before payment is due. and don't spend more than your monthly income in a month.  Everyone will be happy. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 11 of 14
quarius
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No preset spending limit, they will let you charge as much as amex feels you can afford.

Very nice, i learned so much today. Thanks

{NFCU-25k}{NFCU-Flagship-25k}{Saphire-15k}{BOA-25k}{DCU-10k}{Slate-7200}{FirstNat-4k}{DiscoverIT-6k}{CitiCash-$4100}{AmexBCE-$8500}{Venture-$6500}
12/23/18 [Experian-Fico 799][TU-Fico799][Equifax-Fico786]
Message 12 of 14
Pworld
Regular Contributor

I say apply for the Zync or Green at those scores. Criteria is the same. I applied for the zync, and also the green and got approved for both with your scores. I use the green just so my Zync points can be converted to standard MR points from MRE (called to have my MR combined under one account). 

Current EQ:809 EX: 808 TU:809

Amex Platinum/ NPSL | Amex Zync/NPSL | Amex Green/NPSL | AMEX BCP/18.1k | Chase Freedom/2.2K | Discover IT/10.9K | Amex HHonors Surpass/9K | Chase Hyatt/5k | Sapphire Preferred/13K | Ink Business Preferred/13K
Message 13 of 14
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

I believe as posted before, a lot of people get the charge card as a gateway to their revolver w/AMEX and the backdating.

I also believe people get the charge cards for the "flash" value of it as it is AMEX's most noticeable and known cards.

Sure they have the NPSL but to me that is not a practical reason to get it, as you can build your credit cards (good ones obviously)  to have a credit limit that is comfortable for your day to day life, NPSL is for people who are making purchases FREQUENTLY that are EXPENSIVE and most of us I would say safe to say are not buying a car every single month.

Try for the revolver you want, if you get denied for it, then I say get the ZYNC just to have your backdating available.

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.