Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex cards working together

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex cards working together

I know with Chase the Freedom card pairs well with the CSP and Ink Plus/Ink Bold, becuase the UR points can be pooled together.

I get confused with Amex because they have the SPG with starpoints and PRG has member rewards and the Blue cards have rewards dollars, etc. I would like to get the SPG eventually. Is there any other amex card that would generate rewards that I could pool with the SPG rewards? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex cards working together

Directly - No. Indirectly - you could see if there are any overlap between the transfer partners for both MR and SPG.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 2 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I know with Chase the Freedom card pairs well with the CSP and Ink Plus/Ink Bold, becuase the UR points can be pooled together.

I get confused with Amex because they have the SPG with starpoints and PRG has member rewards and the Blue cards have rewards dollars, etc. I would like to get the SPG eventually. Is there any other amex card that would generate rewards that I could pool with the SPG rewards? 

Amex Blue, Amex Mercedes, Amex charge cards (Centurion, various variations of the Platinum, PRG, Gold and Green) issue MR points.

In a way you will have a pool of just MR points if you're using those cards.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

Oh I didn't realize Amex Blue was MR points. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Oh I didn't realize Amex Blue was MR points. 

Only the standard Blue.

the Blue cash and Blue sky are technically cashback cards.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 9
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@parakleet wrote:
Directly - No. Indirectly - you could see if there are any overlap between the transfer partners for both MR and SPG.

I would agree that to look at what transfer partners overlap but in my opinion the two best cards together would be the PRG and Mercedes Amex because the PRG gives 2x gas and groceries and the Mercedes gives 3x on gas and 2x on restaurants.  So between the two on your average every week purchases you can get more that the 1:1 rate.  Also if you have a have a Mercedes you can get 5x on some dealer purchases. 

Message 6 of 9
TheConductor
Established Contributor

If you stay at Starwood properties frequently, then Amex Platinum + SPG is a good combo because the Platinum comes with instant SPG Gold status while the SPG card does not.  And the Gold status boosts your point earning rate on spending at Starwood properties.  This only makes sense though if you actually plan to stay at (and earn lots of points at) Starwood,  If you're just using SPG for its general good qualities as a travel card you have little to nothing to gain from this pairing.

And TrueEarnings pairs well with the Blue Cash Preferred since it adds 2% dining and travel to the BCP's 6% groceries and 3% gas and 3% department stores. I think if you are looking strictly within the Amex portfolio of cards this is the best pairing available.  The Mercedes-Benz non-platinum offers 2x dining but no travel bonus, and the PRG offers 3x travel but no dining bonus. And both of these cards have annual fees of $95+, where the TrueEarnings has none so long as you are a Costco member.

Also, the late, lamented Amex Zync paired very well with other Amex charge cards because the optional Packs allowed you to add bonus multipliers in a variety of categories including the essential ones like dining and travel, and some unexpected ones unique to the Zync like green/eco retailers and mobile phone/cable/internet bills.  It made it very easy to design your complementary card to whatever card(s) you already had. Hopefully they will bring it back in its true form, because I still believe it was a genuinely good idea that probably just needed better marketing and messaging.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 7 of 9
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

If you stay at Starwood properties frequently, then Amex Platinum + SPG is a good combo because the Platinum comes with instant SPG Gold status while the SPG card does not.  And the Gold status boosts your point earning rate on spending at Starwood properties.  This only makes sense though if you actually plan to stay at (and earn lots of points at) Starwood,  If you're just using SPG for its general good qualities as a travel card you have little to nothing to gain from this pairing.

And TrueEarnings pairs well with the Blue Cash Preferred since it adds 2% dining and travel to the BCP's 6% groceries and 3% gas and 3% department stores. I think if you are looking strictly within the Amex portfolio of cards this is the best pairing available.  The Mercedes-Benz non-platinum offers 2x dining but no travel bonus, and the PRG offers 3x travel but no dining bonus. And both of these cards have annual fees of $95+, where the TrueEarnings has none so long as you are a Costco member.

Also, the late, lamented Amex Zync paired very well with other Amex charge cards because the optional Packs allowed you to add bonus multipliers in a variety of categories including the essential ones like dining and travel, and some unexpected ones unique to the Zync like green/eco retailers and mobile phone/cable/internet bills.  It made it very easy to design your complementary card to whatever card(s) you already had. Hopefully they will bring it back in its true form, because I still believe it was a genuinely good idea that probably just needed better marketing and messaging.

The reason I mentioned the PRG and Mercedes was the OP mentioned the UR so I figured he talking about two cards with similiar reward structures.  The TE and BCP both have AF just that the TE has it indirectly.  Plus they are cashback cards.  Not a versatile as the MR points or SPG.  I do agree if the OP just wanted a good pairing regardless of the type of reward then the BCP and TE would be up there to.  I was also looking at t the respective sign up bonuses for each.

Message 8 of 9
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

This alone makes me think Amex wants you to have multiple accounts with them!
I could use an SPG with my BCE and Delta Gold!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.