Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex cards...

tag
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex cards...

Have you explored the syncrony beast?

*edit: Getting off track here. If you want an amex, it sucks to say, but wait...use your cards you have, and build up payment history. You'll get your amex in a year or less.

Don't saddle yourself down with a bunch of low limit cards, as it will hurt you in the short/mid run, when trying to get more prime cards.

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes a little off track.. Sorry but yeah I have a walmart store credit card with a measly 300$ limit (I applied when I was a 605 a month ago) So I'll probably pay that and get a CLI every 4 months or so and one day get graduated to the normal credit card.

Message 22 of 29
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

Have you explored the syncrony beast?

*edit: Getting off track here. If you want an amex, it sucks to say, but wait...use your cards you have, and build up payment history. You'll get your amex in a year or less.

Don't saddle yourself down with a bunch of low limit cards, as it will hurt you in the short/mid run, when trying to get more prime cards.

Yes!!! I've learned that first hand from experience and knowing that makes me glad I closed some store cards including a Fingerhut account I didn't need anymore and this 300 dollar limit Target card. Those cards can serve a purpose for a while but in the long run, they become really useless and unnecessary to have if you seriously want better cards I think though I have kept 3 GE ones which have grown well overtime.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 23 of 29
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes a little off track.. Sorry but yeah I have a walmart store credit card with a measly 300$ limit (I applied when I was a 605 a month ago) So I'll probably pay that and get a CLI every 4 months or so and one day get graduated to the normal credit card.

I made the multiple cards, with low limit, quickly mistake when I started out. I figured out what I needed to do, and here I am. It doesn't happen overnight, but keep in mind that cards only grow when you use them, and when you gain lender trust. The guy with three cards or less in his wallet has better odds of reaching 10k, over the guy with a dozen $300 cards...lol.

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

True, Thanks ! I'll keep my 3 cards for now and build off of those. At least I got a 1200$ with Chase. Not too shabby LOL

Message 25 of 29
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

True, Thanks ! I'll keep my 3 cards for now and build off of those. At least I got a 1200$ with Chase. Not too shabby LOL

When I had solid footing, I'd do a few apps every three months, and kept pace with the inquiries. After years, your profile will support app sprees, and multiple inquiries without creditors blinking an eye.

Message 26 of 29
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Just give it time with those approved card you just got. Garden for about six months or so , and try their pre qual link and make sure you are opted in. You will start getting all the offers that present amex customers only wish they could get ....

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 27 of 29
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Just give it time with those approved card you just got. Garden for about six months or so , and try their pre qual link and make sure you are opted in. You will start getting all the offers that present amex customers only wish they could get ....

Your mouth is watering over the 50k PRG, isn't it?

Message 28 of 29
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

Your mouth is watering over the 50k PRG, isn't it?

lol watering wouldn't be the right word i think annoyed about it would be more accurate. I am done with amex for an while looks like chase and possibly citi may be getting my business. TYP now seem to be worth something now with all these new partners popping up

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.