Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex charge PIN number?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex charge PIN number?

Do Amex charge have PIN numbers? I never got one.

When I called a number I found it wanted me to enroll in some Express Cash Program where I linked my bank account to my Amex card to take money out of my bank at an ATM with the Amex card. I have no idea why people would do this instead of just using your ATM card but I must not be understanding something.

If anyone can explain this I would appreciate it.

I don't ever take out cash advances but I do keep all my pins and change them so if I ever needed to I could. It's odd I have not got one for my PRG yet. I know my BCE gave me one.

Thanks
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
krmurrayjr10
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex charge PIN number?

I can think of 2 scenarios where this service would be useful:

1.) You need cash but you can't physically use your ATM card - either it's been lost or stolen and you don't yet have a replacement, or the ATM isn't on the right network, or the card is damaged or otherwise not working.

2.) You need cash and have already exceeded the card's withdrawal limit for the day or you want to access cash that's not yet available in your account, but would be by the time Amex collects it from your bank account.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@krmurrayjr10 wrote:

1.) You need cash but you can't physically use your ATM card - either it's been lost or stolen and you don't yet have a replacement, or the ATM isn't on the right network, or the card is damaged or otherwise not working.

2.) You need cash and have already exceeded the card's withdrawal limit for the day or you want to access cash that's not yet available in your account, but would be by the time Amex collects it from your bank account.

+1 to these

I think it's a fantastic option!

Message 3 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I had Express Cash "back in the day" (mid 90s) and even then it was fee-heavy, but it did come in handy a few times when I didn't have another alternative.

Fast-forward to today... I haven't bothered to enroll in Express Cash again (this time with my PRG) since I have better options available, but if my only option to get cash was my debit card I would definitely consider it again.  With better options (lower fees), though, it's not something I'm currently interested in.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not saying I would do it... my main question was do the Amex Charge Cards give PINS? I don't want my PIN number lost in the mail, and even tho I don't use them I do keep them and change them so if I needed to use it in an emergency I could.
Message 5 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

For AMEX charge cards they only provide/send a PIN for your card if you enroll in their Express Cash service first.

Message 6 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

For AMEX charge cards they only provide/send a PIN for your card if you enroll in their Express Cash service first.

^^^ This.

I recall I was able to change mine over the phone to make it the same as my debit card at the time, but again it's been a while (enrollment is likely much easier now). 

In my case I had to proactively enroll my personal card, but my corporate card was automatically enrolled (probably at the request of my company).  For personal charge cards, ATM withdrawals will be deducted from your checking account (ACH).

The number for more information or to enroll is 800-CASH-NOW.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/search/faq/?aid=836&intlink=US:Amex:NewSiteSearch:Link2

Message 7 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@UncleB wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

^^^ This.

I recall I was able to change mine over the phone to make it the same as my debit card at the time, but again it's been a while (enrollment is likely much easier now). 

In my case I had to proactively enroll my personal card, but my corporate card was automatically enrolled (probably at the request of my company).  For personal charge cards, ATM withdrawals will be deducted from your checking account (ACH).

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/search/faq/?aid=836&intlink=US:Amex:NewSiteSearch:Link2

I wish they offered this feature say on my CSR where I could opt out of cash advance, but instead link it to my bank account if I was ever to need cash.. I rarely use cash maybe 100 a month in cash, but would be nice elimiting one card in my wallet (granted I never carry my atm card with me), but would be nice if it is a card I have everyday in my wallet whatever that card would be whether CSR/PRG/Costco card to have an option similiar to how amex Charge card works and links to your bank acocunt.  Wonder why more card companies haven't thought of this?  Probably cause they want cash advance fees?  A feature I would love..

Message 8 of 11
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

^^^ This.

I wish they offered this feature say on my CSR where I could opt out of cash advance, but instead link it to my bank account if I was ever to need cash.. I rarely use cash maybe 100 a month in cash, but would be nice elimiting one card in my wallet (granted I never carry my atm card with me), but would be nice if it is a card I have everyday in my wallet whatever that card would be whether CSR/PRG/Costco card to have an option similiar to how amex Charge card works and links to your bank acocunt.  Wonder why more card companies haven't thought of this?  Probably cause they want cash advance fees?  A feature I would love..

I feel your pain.  Smiley Sad

"Back in the day" I had a checking account and MasterCard with AmSouth (now Regions) and I could use the MasterCard (credit card) at ATMs to make withdrawals from my checking account or get a cash advance... there was actually no reason at all to carry my debit card. 

Fast-forward nearly 20 years, and suddenly I'm told by my current two banks that this isn't an option.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@krmurrayjr10 wrote:

I'm genuinely curious after thinking about this, what situations would those scenarios even apply to in the modern American economy?

I'm not talking about things one might not want showing up on a transaction record tied to you anyway Cat LOL

        
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.