Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex charge card 30 days to pay ?

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Amex charge card 30 days to pay ?

Don't overthink it. Pay the bill before the due date. I don't think there's any evidence that early payments really give you any advantage.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

In all fairness, I've noticed that statements aren't reported regularly if there's no balance to report. It may make you look good with that particular creditor, but to other creditors, the reporting gaps mean other things. Leave something ($10) on all your accounts, just so they stay regular with reporting.

Got credit cards? Use. All. Of. Them.
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
In all fairness, I've noticed that statements aren't reported regularly if there's no balance to report. It may make you look good with that particular creditor, but to other creditors, the reporting gaps mean other things. Leave something ($10) on all your accounts, just so they stay regular with reporting.

That's true, but at the same time, most creditors will report the gap along with the current statement info when you use the account andleave a balance to generate a statement. I do this with comenity a lot. Several accounts and CLI's, so i purchase a $5.00 item every few months on each account, and the account status is updated not only for the current month, but also for the past months with no data to report. Comenity said they do it up to 2 years. I know most credit card companies will update your account every month. It is usually the charge cards and the store cards that you have to have a statement activity for it report.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you saying leave 10.00 reporting on all your accounts?  

All but certain my fico scores would drop for "too many accounts with balances"  

From watching month after month of ficos, my scores are maximized by reporting only one balance and a very small one at that.  Mine atleast.

Comenity in my limited experience has been the only issuer that  would regularly not report when there has been no activity and continue to not report untlil activity again. Glad I no longer have a comenity account.

Macy's was sketchy so I just closed them at the two year mark.  While there are missing months, this closure and those missing months seem to have had no adverse impact.

Thinking my plan will be to continue to pay  my  new AMEX Prg PRIOR to statement close in full (leaving no balance).  Next closing date is the 18th and the new account has not yet reported. 

I could only hope that if there is no balance to report, they dont report at all.  Then maybe my AOAA wont be impacted as much for a new account if it ever does report... Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 18
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you saying leave 10.00 reporting on all your accounts?  

All but certain my fico scores would drop for "too many accounts with balances"  

From watching month after month of ficos, my scores are maximized by reporting only one balance and a very small one at that.  Mine atleast.

Comenity in my limited experience has been the only issuer that  would regularly not report when there has been no activity and continue to not report untlil activity again. Glad I no longer have a comenity account.

Macy's was sketchy so I just closed them at the two year mark.  While there are missing months, this closure and those missing months seem to have had no adverse impact.

Thinking my plan will be to continue to pay  my  new AMEX Prg PRIOR to statement close in full (leaving no balance).  Next closing date is the 18th and the new account has not yet reported. 

I could only hope that if there is no balance to report, they dont report at all.  Then maybe my AOAA wont be impacted as much for a new account if it ever does report... Smiley Happy

Amex will always take at least couple months to start reporting a new account. However, your strategy is very smart. They may end up not reporting it if it keeps closing with a 0 balance. We need to try this Smiley Happy However, i assume they still will report at least once because it is a new account.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm about to find out for sure. The first statement on my PRG closes on the 19th and I'm going to PIF before the statement cuts, so I'll keep y'all posted.
Message 16 of 18
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm about to find out for sure. The first statement on my PRG closes on the 19th and I'm going to PIF before the statement cuts, so I'll keep y'all posted.

Please keep us posted. That would be great find, as to keep it as an HTL by paying it off every month before statement.

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KSK1912 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Please keep us posted. That would be great find, as to keep it as an HTL by paying it off every month before statement.

Well, I jacked that experiment up... Had it PIF, the 19th is the closing date, so I started using it again.. This thing took one charge, cleared it and the cut the statement with a $7.00 balance.... AAAARRRGGGHH!!!! Crap. So much for it being hopefully a hidden account... Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.