tag
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex charge card denied

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

You wanna know about wasted hard pulls?

1000 Years Too Early for Amex

And this is nothing compared to some of the self-harm I've seen on these boards. One guy had, like, a hundred denials on file before he finally got approved.

I don't have 100 denials on file, but here's my fair share on AMEX:

I know that this thread is over a month old, but, I'm curious to find out what were the reasons for your denials, since you were approved in less than two months later

for two cards. Thanks.

CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 21 of 40
amdm2013
Frequent Contributor

@amdm2013 wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

And this is nothing compared to some of the self-harm I've seen on these boards. One guy had, like, a hundred denials on file before he finally got approved.

I know that this thread is over a month old, but, I'm curious to find out what were the reasons for your denials, since you were approved in less than two months later

for two cards. Thanks.

BUMP!

CSP: $20k / BarclayCard WMC: $20k / US Bank Sig: $12k / Diners Club: $10k / Macy's: $10k / CapOne QS: $8k / Sportsman's Visa: $7.5k / Overstock: $7.4k / Citi DP: $3.6k / US Bank LOC: $2.5k / Cabela's: $2k / Bank of Hawaii AmEx: $1.6k / Chase Marriott: $1.5k / Amazon Visa: $500
Message 22 of 40
corymcd88
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Credit_ wrote:

i applied for an amex gold charge card  and got denied.  I thought charge cards were easier too get ? Should I have applied for the green revolver instead?  I'm lost ? I have 2 baddies  and a 30 day late cap one a year ago... My fico scores  eq 624  exp 629  Tu  747 

Charge cards are easier than revolvers to get, but that doesn't mean just anyone can get them. The green is not a revolver its a charge card as well. The charge cards all have the same underwriting, so its best to go for the one that fits your needs. Your TU score is way above the other ones which is a bit odd,  so you might want to look into that. I don't think amex checks TU or at least they have not on any of my apps. 

For me my EQ score was the worst being almost 100 points diffrent from EX and TU, but EQ is better now.

Message 23 of 40
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I was in the same boat two years ago. I had to get two years of GOOD revolving history before AMEX would let me in the door with even a charge card.

Hopefully you can work on the baddies and try again next year...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 24 of 40
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

And here are mine. I was an idiot for not trying the PRG again when I did and just went for the Green card instead at the time or knowing that the underwriting standards for the charge cards are all the same! And the first few I didn't feel confident about at the time (ED card was one I wanted originally) and in the case of the SPG, someone told me to app for it and I eventually didn't wanna wait days for an app status, so I cancelled those. At least the latest PRG one was just a SP so I didn't lose anything there.

Screen Shot 2014-09-16 at 8.55.44 AM 1.png

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 31 of 40
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Credit_ wrote:

i applied for an amex gold charge card  and got denied.  I thought charge cards were easier too get ?

Easier is relative.  It doesn't mean that anyone will get approved.

@Credit_ wrote:

I'm lost ? I have 2 baddies  and a 30 day late cap one a year ago... 

There you go.  Derogs -- especially recent -- will always hold one back.  Hit the Rebuilding subforum and see what you can do to address them.

Message 32 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I worded this wrong. On the denial letter from Amex, it said my score as of September 9th 2014, my score for Transunion 639. Previously, I was in credit karma review of the Amex charge card it showed a chart. That chart is the reason I applied. Note the score that I was given was not by credit karma.
Message 35 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if I may ask guys, how much damage is done to my CR? Too bad before I applied for Amex on the same day, I was also denied by barclays. O, I must mention this is my 1st time dealing with credit cards. I have never owned one prior.
Message 36 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't seem to post a pic of the letter I received from Amex with the reasons am score. I went to the help section an it says I must upload to my gallery. Well I don't even have a gallery option on my screen.
Message 37 of 40
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well if I may ask guys, how much damage is done to my CR? Too bad before I applied for Amex on the same day, I was also denied by barclays. O, I must mention this is my 1st time dealing with credit cards. I have never owned one prior.

Ooh. See. I don think you did any damage. Other than a few points. Will take a year before the hp loses it's affect completely.  But. You can make up for that.  Patience. It's not the score Aline. You could have 740. But with those negatives being recent. You would still get declined. They tend to look at whole profile.  Amex imo. Should be last card. Not first or second. But my opinion only. Ymmv. 

Message 38 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.