Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex charge card

tag
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Amex charge card

I have a PRG NPSL and I understand that it does have a secret hidden limit. I pay my PRG every week and I read somewhere that part of what determines this limit is what is regularly spent on it. I don't owe or have a payment plan I just have a habit of paying it once a week. Am I screwing myself out of a higher internal limit doing this or it doesn't matter because it records what was totaled every month?

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex charge card

My guess is the latter.
Message 2 of 14
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

I feel like with these you shouldn't have an issue spending any amount you normally wouldn't. If you did, call them, check spending power limit in the app. I began at a 7,000 purchase being approved down to a 4,000 being approved, but not 4,500. I couldn't even spend 2,000 in a month, so I don't worry about it. I use it like a debit card. With bennys 😊😊😊

Message 3 of 14
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

"I use it like a debit card. With bennys"

This is the best way to use any card really.
Message 4 of 14
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@Gregory1776 wrote:

I feel like with these you shouldn't have an issue spending any amount you normally wouldn't. If you did, call them, check spending power limit in the app. I began at a 7,000 purchase being approved down to a 4,000 being approved, but not 4,500. I couldn't even spend 2,000 in a month, so I don't worry about it. I use it like a debit card. With bennys 😊😊😊

+1. Not sure what "bennys" is but if everyone understood this, then it would help a lot of people avoid debt

Message 5 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

@Gregory1776 wrote:

+1. Not sure what "bennys" is but if everyone understood this, then it would help a lot of people avoid debt

As used in this context "bennys" (or sometimes "bennies") is short for "benefits".  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
drboxing
Established Contributor

I didn't know you could pay your AMEX bill every week. I thought I read somewhere that AMEX frowned on that.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drboxing wrote:
I didn't know you could pay your AMEX bill every week. I thought I read somewhere that AMEX frowned on that.

I don't believe there is any real evidence or data that Amex frowns upon multiple payments ( weekly or whenever). Everyone has their own opinions and input on that topic, however, I think you arent allowed to do multiple payments within the first month of a new account because they have to verify with your paying bank and all that fraud stuff. After the first month I believe youre allowed to start making multiple payments. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@drboxing wrote:

I don't believe there is any real evidence or data that Amex frowns upon multiple payments ( weekly or whenever). Everyone has their own opinions and input on that topic, however, I think you arent allowed to do multiple payments within the first month of a new account because they have to verify with your paying bank and all that fraud stuff. After the first month I believe youre allowed to start making multiple payments. 

I don't remember the number (1? 3?) but yes, first month there was a limit. Since then I've had months when I've had to make five or six payments on my $1000 limit Amex.

Message 9 of 14
drboxing
Established Contributor

Looked around and read that after the 1st month you can make multiple payments. Thanks

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.