Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex charge cards-Payment Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex charge cards-Payment Question

I make 3-4 payments per month on my BCE. I made one on my new PRG and it went though fine, but now it has not let me make a second for the last 4 days. What's up? Do charge cards only let you make payments once per month or something? I can't figure it out. Doesn't make sense.

Any advice would be appreciated

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

Re: Amex charge cards-Payment Question

I posted that quested on my charge when I had an issue a couple weeks ago. They told me if I made a payment and need to make another one, just call in and do it that way. I only had my green card about a month and made payment yet. My BCE, I cam make payment whenever I want.

Message 2 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

There are many reports of people being limited to one payment in the first month, but usually that's when they add a new bank account (i.e. the restriction is on the payment source, not the card).  Basically for a brand-new person it's a limit of one payment in the first 30 days regardless (since both the bank account and card are new). 

If you were already an Amex cardholder and were able to link an existing payment account to your new card I thought that would prevent the problem you're describing, but possibly not.  If you re-entered all the payment info manually that would likely be treated as a new payment account, though - even if it was the same checking account already on file - and would explain why it has the 30 day restriction.

In any case, you can always push the payment from your checking account... it will take a couple of days or so but there are no restrictions on that at all. 

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was already a customer and had my bank info in there. Guess I will hope it gets fixed. It tells me "no payment is due" when I try. I had forgotten when I got my BCE last year this happened the first month. I hope this one gets worked out. I know I can push it through my bank but I like to make my payments the other way for some reason.

Thx for the replies. I'll update once my statement cuts and update if it was fixed
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

keep us posted on what happens!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 AMEX charge cards I don't have a problem making more than one payment per month. I do have a problem making more than one payment per day. Btw isn't there people on theirs forum that have reported AMEX requires you to make a payment early if your spending power isn't high enough?
Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

There are many reports of people being limited to one payment in the first month, but usually that's when they add a new bank account (i.e. the restriction is on the payment source, not the card).  Basically for a brand-new person it's a limit of one payment in the first 30 days regardless (since both the bank account and card are new). 

If you were already an Amex cardholder and were able to link an existing payment account to your new card I thought that would prevent the problem you're describing, but possibly not.  If you re-entered all the payment info manually that would likely be treated as a new payment account, though - even if it was the same checking account already on file - and would explain why it has the 30 day restriction.

In any case, you can always push the payment from your checking account... it will take a couple of days or so but there are no restrictions on that at all. 

+1

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The payment system is not that sophisticated. It strictly sees that this is a new bank account on this particular AXP account, and so you are therefore under a 30 day verification period. There is no way to bypass this. In the meantime, if you must make a payment, you can either send in a cheque or push a payment via your bank's bill-pay service.
Message 8 of 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
The payment system is not that sophisticated. It strictly sees that this is a new bank account on this particular AXP account, and so you are therefore under a 30 day verification period. There is no way to bypass this. In the meantime, if you must make a payment, you can either send in a cheque or push a payment via your bank's bill-pay service.

Once again @Anonymous to the rescue!  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks (as always!) for the clarification on this... now we know!  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.