Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex charge cards vs credit cards?

tag
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex charge cards vs credit cards?

I agree completely with everything that jamesdwi posted... nice summary!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 11 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Imacdrew; I recommend nfcu flagship visa.... since you already have a relationship with nfcu. Also an amex revolver. The flagship is a visa signature with no foreign transaction fees. Is your cash rewards a mastercard?
FICO 9:

Message 12 of 18
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

imacdrew, 

The value of membership points can vary from being much less than 1% for 1 point to being better. I guess hotels and some flights can be better if you find the right ones. But's a crap shoot. You need to do research on the rewards site to see what you can redeem. However, that doesn't mean you will find precisely what you want what you want to use it at a better rate than 1%. 

Also, the one extra tidbit to consider is another annual fee. You could find, after all the hoopla of putting your 1% spending on the charge card for 1 point, that the extra value you got just got chewed up by the hefty annual fee or that the annual made a year's worth of effort amount to less than $100 of increased net value after the annual fee is factored in (after your 1st year being free). 

Of course, if your lifestyle is such that such lucrative redemptions that pay better than 1% per point (whatever they might be) are used frequently enough to justify the effort and the extra annual fee, then go for it. Only you would know if it's worthwhile based on your plans, tastes and potential point totals.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 13 of 18
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
Imacdrew; I recommend nfcu flagship visa.... since you already have a relationship with nfcu. Also an amex revolver. The flagship is a visa signature with no foreign transaction fees. Is your cash rewards a mastercard?

no my nfcu cash rewards is a visa card. how would i benefit from the flagship other than the no foreign transaction fees? 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 14 of 18
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

imacdrew, 

The value of membership points can vary from being much less than 1% for 1 point to being better. I guess hotels and some flights can be better if you find the right ones. But's a crap shoot. You need to do research on the rewards site to see what you can redeem. However, that doesn't mean you will find precisely what you want what you want to use it at a better rate than 1%. 

Also, the one extra tidbit to consider is another annual fee. You could find, after all the hoopla of putting your 1% spending on the charge card for 1 point, that the extra value you got just got chewed up by the hefty annual fee or that the annual made a year's worth of effort amount to less than $100 of increased net value after the annual fee is factored in (after your 1st year being free). 

Of course, if your lifestyle is such that such lucrative redemptions that pay better than 1% per point (whatever they might be) are used frequently enough to justify the effort and the extra annual fee, then go for it. Only you would know if it's worthwhile based on your plans, tastes and potential point totals.

Well thats why i liked the amex blue pref. lately i stopped charging most of my purchases with credit and just used debit. With the blue pref. The 6% cb on grocery store purchases and 3% on gas is what sold me. I drive a truck so whatever I get back is a plus. I do not want more than one cc with an annual fee though, I went on a bender today and got the barclays apple cc with a 2000 limit and am awaiting a response for my discover more... im not holding my breath though because that would be 4/4.. I did want the disc. more though fore the 5% cb on gas and such and once i reach the spending cap id use the blue pref. as my go to cc. I basically went from 1 true cc to 4 in a matter of 2 days.
I have a Military Star Card for on base purchases( doesnt work anywhere else), BOA Home Depot card, Barclays Apple Visa, amex blue pref, then the amex Zync.. I think I may have overdone it but ill probably start doing some gardening here Smiley Very Happy 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 15 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Flagship has better travel rewards. Also visa sig priveleges.
FICO 9:

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have both types of AmEx, the Costco and the Platinum.  I really use the Costco as you would suspect and the really the Platinum is for travel or hotel's so I guess it just depends on what your looking for.  I now have the Platinum PedFed rewards card which might be my new favorite card!

Message 17 of 18
LOC
Contributor

well said. I can't wait to get my card and start using it.

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: 696
Goal Score: 850

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.