Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex chasing down the balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex chasing down the balance

This is a post about my DBF's card. He has a blue, originally had a $2,000 limit. He carried a big balance for too long, and they started balance chasing him down, first lowered it to $1,000 a few months ago. When he called they said "Just make the minimum payments and we'll raise it again in a few months" Well, he did and they just lowered it to $500 (did it as soon as his balance got under 500). I told him about what I've read here and told him they might close his account. He got a form letter that said they regretted lowering his limit or something like that and they "look forward to doing business with him in the future".

He called and spoke to a general CSR today and he asked if that person would have any way of knowing if his card was going to be shut off once he got to $0. The guy said no and seemed really confused and was like "No.. why would we do that? Just keep making the minimum payments... No, we don't care if members PIF or not.."

So I guess the CSRs don't really know much (at least the ones we get don't)

My question is does Amex ever chase the balance down and then stop and keep the acct open, or do they always go all the way to $0 and close the account?

Message Edited by daggy0001 on 07-12-2008 01:09 PM
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
voidman
Established Contributor

Re: Amex chasing down the balance

Even if they did, it is better not giving them your business but I would PIF and close the acc even if they didn't close it, With all these non-sense with Amex, I don't think I will do business with them in any near future.

If your DBF's Credit score is good then my advice would be look for a different CCC if that is not a problem.
-void
Message 2 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Or he could just keep the balance at about $10 by charging and paying all but $10 each month. He can keep doing this until he brings up his overall score with all 3 CRAs over 720. Doubt they'd cancel it higher than a 720 score. I'd be really surprised if they are doing this now with a high score?? What is his score now? I think it is possible they might close the card but don't really know.
Message 3 of 40
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Or he could just keep the balance at about $10 by charging and paying all but $10 each month. He can keep doing this until he brings up his overall score with all 3 CRAs over 720. Doubt they'd cancel it higher than a 720 score. I'd be really surprised if they are doing this now with a high score?? What is his score now? I think it is possible they might close the card but don't really know.

Score doesn't seem to make any difference from what I am hearing. Amex is like a freight train out of control.
Message 4 of 40
fused
Moderator Emeritus

The OP clearly stated her boyfriend revolved a BIG balance for too long...of course Amex or any CCC might take AA in this situation. Is Amex more likely to do this than BoA, Chase and etc., yes, but they aren't the only one.
Message 5 of 40
Client9
Regular Contributor

the moment I paid off my Amex for students off, Amex closed it down.  My scored has actually gone up over the past 18 months, and they still closed it.  12 years, NEVER LATE and they closed it.
Keep it open with tiny purchases and report back.
Message 6 of 40
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

It's a shame Amex is doing this to people, but I think this is the tip of the iceberg that's coming. I read a blog a few weeks back from Mish's GlobalEconomicAnalysis (great economic blog!), which mentioned an Oppenheimer banking analyst said the impact of recent regulatory proposals on lender profits would be so severe, that she expects banks to cut $2 trillion in credit card lines to the public by 2010. That's about 45% of the available credit card lines outstanding to US consumers, folks. Think for a second what that means to you and me and our credit lines!

If this is even close to being the case, well, in a nutshell...expect more credit card companies to follow Amex's lead fairly soon in chasing down balances and/or closing accounts. Some others are doing it already, of course, but nothing close to what Amex is doing. As far as people suggesting that someone keep a tiny revolving balance on a card to prevent it from closing, I don't think that's going to work for very long. Once you're "targeted" for closure for whatever reason, they're going to close your account regardless. They'll just ask for the final balance to be paid immediately, say thanks and have a good day, most likely.

There has never been a better time to keep your cc utilization levels low, keep making payments on time, and keep those FICO scores as high as possible. That still may not be enough, as some are finding out, but it's your best shot at keeping those nice credit lines intact.

Message Edited by TangMeister on 07-12-2008 03:56 PM
Message 7 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

they are doing the same thing to me on my Amex accounts, except for 1 of them. I am going to pay them down to like 75.00 and then make min payments until whenever. Peace
Message 8 of 40
voidman
Established Contributor

@fused wrote:
The OP clearly stated her boyfriend revolved a BIG balance for too long...of course Amex or any CCC might take AA in this situation. Is Amex more likely to do this than BoA, Chase and etc., yes, but they aren't the only one.

And the fact that the OP has reduced to balance below 500 is not a good indication to amex (and any bank that I don't know yet)that the credit situation of the person is improving ?
-void
Message 9 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

He has had two collections come on his report since opening the card. They are definately going by score instead of account history with Amex, because hes been steadily paying this one down.

Thanks for your replies, he will probably keep a small balance on the card just incase they close it at 0...

One collection seems to be an error, and he left a message with the CA today... The other is also medical, for a legit drs visit, but they were sending his bills to the wrong address, so he's going to try to GW it.

Hopefully when he gets those cleared up, and at least the one taken off his report, his scores will rise dramatically, and the problems with Amex can be cleared up.

ETA: His FAKO's are very low 600's, down from over 700.

Message Edited by daggy0001 on 07-12-2008 04:55 PM
Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.