Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex cli...when to ask?

tag
Awesomely
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex cli...when to ask?

When you are eligible for a CLI where on their website do you go to request one?

Message 11 of 17
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Honestly I think they only do it over the automated telephone system now...someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Message 12 of 17
android01
Valued Contributor

Does AMEX do hard pulls for CLI these days?  It seems like other banks are doing that more frequently.

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 13 of 17
amp0804
Regular Contributor

No Amex is always soft and they use an interal review system
Message 14 of 17
grifter93

I just got a CLI last night (Costco AMEX)- went from $5K to $15K - but quickly relized afterwards, I probably should have put in for $20K as I'm looking to travel this summer and wanted to take advantage of buying the tickets and getting some residual rewards for the purchase - but I'm careful to not over extend my usage/DTI percentages. 

I'm wondering if it's wise/beneficial to have multiple AMEX cards (asking, cause I don't know...but I know that the approval process was nearly instantanous)?  Also, with me already having an AMEX account already, will me applying for another one - be a soft or a hard pull? 

One more if you don't mind - what do you AMEX do you recommend? I'm looking for generous CL so that I can buy the tickets without worrying about my utilization percentages. 

Thanks...

EQ: 719  

USAA MC:  18K

Costco AMEX:  15K

Message 15 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

AmEx loves you having multiple cards.

Even if you're a cardholder, there will be a hard inq if you apply (as opposed to upgrading) for a new card. However, it will be backdated to the year in which you opened your first-ever account, so there will be no new account ding. Well, unless your first card is very young, as in <6 months old.

I don't know if there's much difference in CL's between the cards. (There might well be; I'm just not aware of it.) I'd go for the card that gives you the best rewards.

I'm kinda alarmed; it almost sounds as if you're planning to carry balances. (As in $15K isn't high enough.) AmEx gets very twitchy when a new-ish member carries a balance more than a month or two...

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 17
amp0804
Regular Contributor

You can only request 3x your current limit. So you were right on it by requesting 15k.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.