Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex consolidation requirements?

tag
Kenro
Regular Contributor

Amex consolidation requirements?

What are Amex requirements for consolidating credit lines from their cards??

I have attempted twice and rejected both times... However, no hard pull.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Amex consolidation requirements?

@Kenro wrote:

What lines did you try to consolidate? What was the basis of the rejection? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 11
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Kenro wrote:

13 months since card opening.

Message 3 of 11
ksantangelo23
Frequent Contributor

The "donor" card must have generated at least 13 statements, and the receiving card must have generated at least 6. After that, good standing with AMEX is generally the only requirement.

AMEX Hilton Ascend: $55,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve: $30,000 | PNC Points: $17,500 | AMEX BCE (AU): $18,000 | AMEX BCP: $15,000 | US Bank Cash+ $15,000 | AMEX Business Prime: $14,000 | AMEX SimplyCash: $12,000 | Capital One QS: $13,500 | Chase Business Ink: $12,000 | PNC Everyday (AU): $12,000 | JCPenny Store Card: $10,500 | Chase Slate: $9,400 | Capital One QS: $6,500 | (2nd) US Bank Cash+ (2nd): $7,500 | Discover IT: $6,000 | Chase Freedom: $3,500 | Auto Lease: $0/$21,000 | Auto Loan: $0/$18,000 |

TU: 818 EX: 809 EQ: 801

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Kenro wrote:

What lines did you try to consolidate? What was the basis of the rejection? 

Very good question here ^^^^..

Message 5 of 11
Kenro
Regular Contributor

Well they only generated 2 statements... No wonder I get rejected...

Letters said that accounts havent been open long enough... I dont understand why Amex rep couldnt have just told me about the 13 months.

Message 6 of 11
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

funny seeing this thread on here when i got back online.  i just got off the phone with amex about 3hrs ago asking to consolidate my credit lines.  i have the amex dsm and everyday.  i rarely use my gold delta card so i asked if that credit line could be consolidated with my everyday (which i do & will use a lot) .... he did some work on his end and put me on hold for a minute or so and said my request has been approved.   the credit line of my delta gold card was added to my everyday card.   he said i would get a letter explaining everything in about 3-5 business days. 

ive had my delta card since january and my everyday card less than a month.   i didnt know amex would even do that when i called, i was just calling to inquire about it.  glad they do it.   wish capital one would allow this.

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 7 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@JcT21 wrote:

funny seeing this thread on here when i got back online.  i just got off the phone with amex about 3hrs ago asking to consolidate my credit lines.  i have the amex dsm and everyday.  i rarely use my gold delta card so i asked if that credit line could be consolidated with my everyday (which i do & will use a lot) .... he did some work on his end and put me on hold for a minute or so and said my request has been approved.   the credit line of my delta gold card was added to my everyday card.   he said i would get a letter explaining everything in about 3-5 business days. 

ive had my delta card since january and my everyday card less than a month.   i didnt know amex would even do that when i called, i was just calling to inquire about it.  glad they do it.   wish capital one would allow this.

Ive also heard of the 13 month rule. but i guess it did not apply in your case since you only had it 3 months. wow that is incredible. maybe rep did not know what he was doing. hmm. will see when you get the letter i guess. as i also would like to get the everyday. to earn more points. but since they are not backdating anymore. i felt it was a wasted effort.

i will just wait until my delta is at 25k. then next year decide if i want to keep it. more than likely yes. since i fly delta whenever i fly. which is not too often. but this year big vacation. anyway. let us know how it works out with the transfer of funds to your everyday card.

Message 8 of 11
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

after reading this thread im also thinking the rep might not know what he was doing.   i asked how long it would take for the transfer to complete, he said "3-5 business days"

however i didnt want to completely close out my dsm card.  a small credit line of $500 was left on the card and that gave me the option to keep it open.  1.5k was then added to my everyday credit line, which will help with my utilization of that card since i just did a 3.5k BT at 0%.    he said if i wanted to close out he dsm card it would be best to wait until the transfer was complete. 

i will def keep you guys posted on whether or not this really happens.  i get the impression that this is out of the ordinary for amex.  ill give it a week or so and reply on this thread. 

Message 9 of 11
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

apparently the rep did not have a clue what he was doing.   i contacted amex this morning and was informed of the whole 13 month / 60 day rule.   i asked what i was approved for because the rep told me my request was approved.  i informed them i was even on a recorded line when he told me.    they checked and couldnt find any record of my request and informed me my accounts are not old enough and the rep should have told me that from the start.   they apologized for the misunderstanding and informed me it would be best to wait 1 year from the opening of my dsm card and then make a request.  which would be jan 2016

since i rarely use my dsm card i could have used he xtra $$ on everday.    oh well atleast i still have both my amex cards with original limits.  glad i didnt close anything!  Smiley Indifferent

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.