Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex conversion

tag
FretlessMayhem
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex conversion

@heirophant wrote:
Ooh! Another question. How long did you have Delta before switching?

I'm terrible. I did it the day after it came in the mail.
Here we go again...
Message 11 of 21
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

I just called and asked about converting from clear to blue cash and was told that they would use the same account number and history from my clear card and just send a blue cash card to replace the clear.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 12 of 21
heirophant
Established Contributor

Well, I guess that debunks the different types of card not getting the same account number.  I think I will call them after my next statement cuts on the 16th so that I still get the miles I have accumulated this month.  Don't want to waste points.  Nothing bad has shown up on my CR and my util is about 16%, so I think I'll be OK.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 13 of 21
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

Heirophant, one thing she mentioned was that I could only convert my clear to blue, or blue cash or an amex costco, but if I wanted a charge card instead of a credit card it would have resulted in a new application and a hard inq.  What are you hoping to convert from/to?
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 14 of 21
heirophant
Established Contributor

Phoenix-rising wrote:
Heirophant, one thing she mentioned was that I could only convert my clear to blue, or blue cash or an amex costco, but if I wanted a charge card instead of a credit card it would have resulted in a new application and a hard inq.  What are you hoping to convert from/to?

Just going from Delta to Blue.  Keeping my Green.  Just cutting my AF by $40 and earning membership rewards across the board.  Not going from a charge to a credit card.

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

heirophant wrote:

Phoenix-rising wrote:

Just going from Delta to Blue.  Keeping my Green.  Just cutting my AF by $40 and earning membership rewards across the board.  Not going from a charge to a credit card.

If you want Membership Rewards, you won't cut your AF this way.  With a qualifying Green card, the AF on the Delta is only $40, and while the Blue has no AF, it does cost $40 AF for it to participate in Membership Rewards.  Otherwise, it gets Membership Rewards Express.

In the end, the AF will be a wash.

Message 16 of 21
heirophant
Established Contributor

cheddar wrote:

heirophant wrote:

Phoenix-rising wrote:

If you want Membership Rewards, you won't cut your AF this way.  With a qualifying Green card, the AF on the Delta is only $40, and while the Blue has no AF, it does cost $40 AF for it to participate in Membership Rewards.  Otherwise, it gets Membership Rewards Express.

In the end, the AF will be a wash.

Since I am using my Green, I thought I read that you are eligible to enroll your Blue for no additional fee in the Membership rewards program.  Do you know where the rules are on their website...such a hard website to navigate.  I could have sworn I have read it on their website as well.  I must be reading other people's posts wrong if this is true.

Mortgage 11/20
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told to wait to make changes last year in 2007 by Amex CSR because around 2/08 they would not have to issue a new account number for my change. I am guessing 2007=new account, 2008=same account. Just a guess. May not apply to all changes.
Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

heirophant wrote:

Since I am using my Green, I thought I read that you are eligible to enroll your Blue for no additional fee in the Membership rewards program.  Do you know where the rules are on their website...such a hard website to navigate.  I could have sworn I have read it on their website as well.  I must be reading other people's posts wrong if this is true.

You are correct.  My mistake.  The $40 only applies if you don't otherwise have a card that participates in MR.

Sorry for the confusion.

Message 19 of 21
heirophant
Established Contributor

So I did it.  I just got off the phone and converted my Skymiles card to Blue.  Was pretty easy.  I figured AMEX would try to keep me on the same card and do some type of sales job on the Skymiles card instead of just going, "Here ya go."  But that's pretty much exactly what happened.  Couldn't have been more painless.  He did tell me that I will still receive skymiles on this account until the blue takes affect on my next closing date of 8-18, though.  Darn it, I was hoping the current Skymiles card would just start earning Blue points if I used it today.

I'm excited!  Can't wait to enroll it in Membership Rewards.

Mortgage 11/20
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.