cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex costco

tag
Established Member

Amex costco

I'd like to add an amex to my porfolio sooner rather than later since I've read they are inquiry sensitive.  Based on my history provided do I have a good chance of being approved in store assuming they pull EX only?  Score was EX 644 before new CC opening.

1 inquiry on EX

Oldest account 10 yr

2 - 60 day late 7 years ago

AU on one card reporting 0%  5 years old

One other CC opened less than 4 months ago

Current installment loan, no lates, around 2 years open

No other baddies

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex costco

I don't think so, Webby semi-recently got one and I think her score was around 670-680 EX and I think most other approvals were higher scores.

Right now you might not even be qualified for a Zync (minimum six months, not sure if they include installment loans though on that or only revolving).  If you're just looking at Amex membership, I'd wait for a bit till at least you've made your sixth payment on your current CC and it reports, then I'd apply for a Zync.  Later (next year) I'd go for the Costco card, probably January even.

        
Message 2 of 15
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

660+ is what they say AmEx likes to see, have you tried their pre-approved offers link?

Message 3 of 15
Established Member

What's the link for the amex preapproval and is it a soft pull?  I thought I saw one here but it was dead or I couldn't find the right place to input my information.

The AU account would give me 5 years of CC history, that doesn't help?

Message 4 of 15
-Cain-
Valued Contributor
Message 5 of 15
Established Member

Nope, no existing offers for me. I wonder if that's due to opting-out?

Message 6 of 15
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

@borsin wrote:

Nope, no existing offers for me. I wonder if that's due to opting-out?

probably so.

I'm not sure how the AU accout would affect your app. I'd say it would weigh less in a manual review, might help where there is an instant computer decision.

Message 7 of 15
Established Member

Does anyone know if Costco does manual reviews or do they approve/deny based on the fico score? 

I think if they go by score I could potentially be approved but I'd hate to waste an inquiry.

Message 8 of 15
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

@ borsin   

Are you already an Amex member? If you are it would only be a soft pull if denied. Then if you are approved a hard pull. I would think everything is computer first nowadays. What are scores? 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 9 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would suggest applying for Zync.  If you get approved for that then you can go ahead and run to Costco and apply and see... but Im not sure you are up to Costco area under 650, think it's more around a 675+ with no recent baddies.

Manual review not to mucn, they use to submit it to be reviewed, I helped 3 or 4 friends back in 2003-2005 get Amex Blue - I thought that was easiest and I never saw a CL below $2k... now I think Delta or Costco now.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.