Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex credit cards--why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex credit cards--why?

I was looking at what Amex cards I might be eligible for.  If as forum members suggest Amex does not prefer that customers carry a balance on their credit cards but that they PIF each month, then why apply for them at all when you have their charge card?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex credit cards--why?

No Annual Fee

and

You can carry a balance if you need to.

Message 2 of 13
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Amex credit card - why?

Why not? Decent rewards with good customer service.

We've all "heard" this or that about Amex CC. One of these rumors is that they like to be paid in full each month. Maybe it's true, maybe not.

All I notice is that a lot of people with baddies (lates, collections, even older bankrukptcies) on their reports get approved for Zync.

That means that the illustrious company Amex has either discovered their heart for those with less than perfect credit history or that they are engaging in a fierce fight for new customers with the other companies.

These days, it seems to be easier to get an Amex Zync (ok, not a CC) than a Discover More or a Chase Freedom. I don't know about the Amex CC products. I got my Amex CC when I had only one other credit card reporting for a year on a completely new credit history. I had 12 months of regular payments on one card on my reports. Thin, to say the least. Amex was nice to me and approved me for one of their CCs. Instantly! No questions asked! Nonetheless, my credit file was as thin as they come at the time. That tells you a lot about Amex's "pickiness".  

Nobody get me wrong, please. More power to those with less than perfect credit who can snag up an Amex.

Message 3 of 13
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

No Annual Fee

and

You can carry a balance if you need to.

Some do have an annual fee, don't they? The Delt Gold and Platinum for example. There are others, I think... But then, they do have enough CC without an AF.

Message 4 of 13
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I like mine for the early ticket-buying opportunities and the no annual fee.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 13
voidman
Established Contributor

IMO Costco Amex has a AF.... though it is not really a AF but Costco's membership fees. But you can not have Costco Amex without paying for the membership fees even if you do not shop at costco.

-void
Message 6 of 13
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I have CCs from different creditors like BofA, Discover, Wells Fargo, and so on. Of all of them is my Amex. I like having the requirement in place to PIF monthly. I put all of my purchases on it and that forces me to not be in CC debt. Another advantage that may or may not be mentioned is backdating. If you open an Amex today and close it next month, it'll still report with a 2010 open date. If you decide to open an Amex 12 years from now, that new card would show a 2010 open date.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clocktick wrote:

I get this with my penfed amex - works like a charm - bought backstreet boys tickets for my girl before they went on sale - for amex users only...

Message 8 of 13
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

I get this with my penfed amex - works like a charm - bought backstreet boys tickets for my girl before they went on sale - for amex users only...

I'm pretty sure you get the early access with any AMEX card whether it's issued by American Express or not. I have a Green but also a Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards AMEX that recently got me presale tix with the options for the backstage passes. Paid with the Citi over the 'real'.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrShush wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@clocktick wrote:

I'm pretty sure you get the early access with any AMEX card whether it's issued by American Express or not. I have a Green but also a Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards AMEX that recently got me presale tix with the options for the backstage passes. Paid with the Citi over the 'real'.

Sweeeeet.... gotta love the co-branded AMEX card.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.