Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex credit limit reallocation/transfer drama

tag
JosephS112
Established Member

Amex credit limit reallocation/transfer drama

Okay, so recently I decided the Delta Gold Amex annual fee was just not worth paying anymore, Delta prices didn't sit well with me anymore. (Plus, their 2015 changes to the Skymiles program is ridiculous). So I wanted to change the card. I called and asked (as well as requested through live chat), that I wanted to do a product change, I didn't care for any of the application perks. Should be simple and straight forward, right? Nope, I was told I could only product change to an upgraded Delta card (eventually they offered me a Mercedes-Benz Amex, which I obviously declined with its annual fee and due to the fact I do not even drive let alone a Mercedes-Benz). I was told I had to apply for a different card, then transfer over the credit limit in order to gain the equivalent of a product change. So I went ahead and did so, got approved for the Everyday Card at a pretty tiny limit (2k). After I got the card, I called and inform them that I wanted to do the transfer now. The man said okay, asked questions then said he could transfer all my limit except for the amount equivalent to my current balance (600 dollars), I was a bit taken back and said I will pay off the balance then get back to him so that the entire credit limit can be transferred. He confirmed that this was possible and the best option. I call back, and this other lady says that is not possible. That I cannot transfer my limit permanently, and that the she can only do a 'temporary' reallocation that is for a 'one-time use only'. I was pretty ticked off, I could have gotten everything but 600 dollars transferred a day ago, but now I was told nothing can be transferred and that the limit would disappear after I close the account.  Up until this point I thought Amex customer service was great and I never had any problem. Now, they are basically making me pay the annual fee so that I can keep the limit after I went through apply for another card, dealing with the hard pull, just to close off this card. Ridiculous. Anyone successfully transfer a credit limit from one card to another and close out one of the cards?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
rlx01
Established Contributor

Re: Amex credit limit reallocation/transfer drama

You can reallocate limits online if the donor card has generated 13 statements.
Message 2 of 6
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

The old card needs to be atleast 12 months old, that's the only restriction really. 

Message 3 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

The old card needs to be atleast 12 months old, that's the only restriction really. 

The policy was donor cc 13 billing statements to recipient cc 61 days. Some have gotten the reallocation with moving less than the full CL. 

Message 4 of 6
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

i've been having the same problem for MONTHS

and it's frustrating.

I have both my Delta GOld and Hilton Surpass sitting at zero balance because they aren't very useful cards tbh.

I use my BCE all the time and typically pay in full. (1-2K per month)

I tried to transfer some of my Delta's 10k cl to Surpass when first openened(denied due to Surpass not being open greater than 30 days per the letter)

I tried transferring some of Delta to BCE (denied to due Delta not being 13 months old)

AND THEY DO SOFT PULL when you ask for CL re-allocations.

I don't really understand the risk in a credit line re allocation. It's the same amout of credit regardless.... I understand if they dont want it to be done every month or what not. But it's the SAME amount of credit. If I have an excellent PIF history then why cant I just move over the line???

I was told specifically that they do this to prevent AF cards that gave bonuses originally from being closed without EVER getting an AF paid. Amex told me they incurred"heavy losses" because of this or people just closing accounts before the AF hits. I figure though, even if I do end up moving over the credit line, I'll pay the stupid $95 AF since my bonus last year turned out to be worth nearly a grand.

lol And in my case, when/if Im able to move over my delta limit, I could have a $35k credit line with BCE!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 6
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

OP, I would try again with a different rep if you had success with the one previously you might again.

I will say this though... just because the CSR said so doesn't make it the Gospel. Because he told you that he could move the line, doesn't mean that it would actually be approved. These things happen all of the time. Can't be mad at the company because those are their rules -- while their CSRs may be clueless at times -- we still know their rules and shouldn't expect differently when it's been reported back time and time again.

Best of luck, though! Sounds like best of patience is really needed more, though. Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.