Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex curiosity question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex curiosity question

My first two credit cards were from a gas company and a Amex.     It was about 1989 and I was approx 20yrs  old at the time.   I bought my wife a engagement ring with the American Express and dont remember if I ever even made a payment??   I was wild  and didnt care about credit at all.    Needless to say I lost both cards.   Well 25yrs later i regret all this and am working to make it better.    My question is when I get my credit  cleaned up  and apply for another Amex will they remember internally or do they just have the info off my CR which hasnt shown any of this for many years?     I was more committed to my wife than credit as we are headed to our 25th wedding anniversary next May.   Thanks for your opinions.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex curiosity question

@Dug3x3 wrote:

My first two credit cards were from a gas company and a Amex.     It was about 1989 and I was approx 20yrs  old at the time.   I bought my wife a engagement ring with the American Express and dont remember if I ever even made a payment??   I was wild  and didnt care about credit at all.    Needless to say I lost both cards.   Well 25yrs later i regret all this and am working to make it better.    My question is when I get my credit  cleaned up  and apply for another Amex will they remember internally or do they just have the info off my CR which hasnt shown any of this for many years?     I was more committed to my wife than credit as we are headed to our 25th wedding anniversary next May.   Thanks for your opinions.  

Its different with every individual the only way you will know if you are on their BL it to apply, for myself I am still BL for BK in 1983 yet I read nearly every day people getting approved with them with BK just 9 10 years ago and they were included...

Message 2 of 9
leegreen
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on nearing your 25th wedding anniversary! As far as your question I have no idea.
06/26/2014 - Gardening until 7/1/15
NFCU NavCheck 15k, cashRewards VS 14k, nRewards 14k
Amex BCE 15k, CapOne Quicksilver MC 3k, USAA Platinum MC 2k, Discover It 1k
Jared 5.1K, Zales 5k, Lowe's 15k, Home Depot 5k
Message 3 of 9
MT936
Established Contributor

They should still have you in their system and should remember i'm not 100% sure though

Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 4 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MT936 wrote:

They should still have you in their system and should remember i'm not 100% sure though

Right, all issuers will have records of who has burned them in various ways, but they have different reactions and timescales.   What you mostly hear about Amex is that you have to pay back the money before you can get another card, ever, but I'm sure there are some exceptions.

Message 5 of 9
Transmogrifying_Bee
Frequent Contributor

Amex most certainly keeps cardholder records that go beyond those visible on your credit report!  How far back I can't say, although it is very common for readers in these Forums, especially those who have had BK's with Amex, to comment how long Amex's "memory" is of such past events!   When I renewed a few years ago my Amex CC's that I had cancelled in 2001, they were able to find my Member Since Date (MSD) going back to 1998 - no big deal!  However (and unfortunately!) they couldn't find any information on the Green card I obtained for the first time back in the early 1980's!  So, at least in MY experience, they probably don't keep such information indefinitely, at least on accounts from that era!  Not sure if they would have handled older BK affected accounts any differently? 

In YOUR case, I'm guessing that they still have you in their system. One way to find out, of course!  Contact them via phone or an application!

BTW, Congratulations on your upcoming 25th anniversary wedding celebration!  Hope this event is complimented by some good news from Amex, if you choose to go that route! 

FICO Score 8: EQ 823 EX 817 TU 825 **** VantageScore 4.0: 825 **** VantageScore 3.0: EQ 823 EX 826 TU 825
TOTAL CL (6 cards): $141.0K **** INQUIRIES 2 yrs (1 yr): EQ 0(1) EX 0(0) TU 0(0) **** UTILIZ: 1 % **** GOAL: FICO Score 8: 840+
r>>
Amex BCE 30K || NASA FCU Rewards Visa 30K || Chase Sapphire Visa Signature 21.5K || PayPal Extras MC 20K
CITI Diamond Preferred MC 25.0K || Discover it 14.5K **** CLOSED 7 cards **** GARDENING since 9-26-2014
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for all the responses.    Im a ways away from asking Amex for a card but Im in no rush.    I have some bad things falling off my reports in Nov , Dec and feb 2015.  So I think this will up my score .   Great site here look forward to keep learning.   Thanks

Message 7 of 9
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@Dug3x3 wrote:

I would say you have to wait til all you baddies are off to even have a chance.  You didn't pay them in 1989 and when they look at your report now it still has baddies on it.  Most people would probably say it is hard to get back with Amex a clean report after previously burning them.

Why Amex anyway?  There will be plenty of CC to chose from no need to jump thru hoops for Amex.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

ezdoesit -  I guess in my mind I want the Amex because to me its a elite card to have.  But after reading here and learning more about cards maybe it isnt the best for me.  We'll see.   Thanks.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.