Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex customer service

tag
bluedog1
Regular Contributor

Amex customer service

I was wondering what everyone thought of Amex customer service? I know they tout themselves as being rated #1 in customer satisfaction but my experience with them over the past few years has been somewhat dissapointing.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex customer service

Sorry to hear that

Most of the people i read here in the forum have the same thinking about their cs

Is like they reading a book to you imo

They are however other ppl who do approve of the Amex cs. reputation

Message 2 of 9
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

It also very much depends on which card you are calling for. I found Zync CS to be script readers. Surpass, OTOH, was incredibly responsive and willing to go off script. I tried repeatedly to get my zync backdated without success, whereas after calling the surpass line, I was able to get it done in one phone call. So maybe ask people to mention which card they are referring to when they post an answer.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 9
Blurbz
Contributor

I'm new to Amex, but in my limited experience I've found it incredibly easy to get a real person on the phone and those real people are able to answer my questions quickly.  That being said, I haven't had any particularly difficult questions yet!  For reference, I've only called about the PRG account.

Message 4 of 9
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I called to close my Green card last week because I recently got the BCP, and the rep offered me a $95 loyalty credit to keep it open (I never asked for it). Because if that, I only have good things to say about Amex CS.

She said the credit would take 6-8 weeks to post, but it has already posted.

However, the 'talk to the robot' part at the beginning of the call is annoying!
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 9
bs6054
Valued Contributor

A lot depends on the individual rep.   I *very* rarely call any customer service, but in the last two days I called:

1) Experian

2) Citi

3) Amex

So my evaluations....

I had contacted Amex by email first, to get an APR reduction on my BCP, they replied saying I had to call as a verbal acceptance was needed.  Bit of a pain.  The CSR sounded very scripted while he processed my request, and had to ask if I would approve the decrease on my account.  (Oh, let me think, I called because I wanted a lower APR, you lowered the APR, should I still keept the old one.   Um, no).   But he did the job, so 6/10

Experian:  I had purchased a report, wanted to dispute something, but the online system wouldn't let me.   On the site, since this is not actually experian but a front end company, it says we are not a CRB and cannot accept disputes, you have to call Experian....  But I called anyway, and because of the nature of the dispute (an address that I have never lived up shows as one of my two addresses), she transferred me to Experian.  It took about two minutes to pass the verification questions, and explain my problem to their CSR.    She looked it up, and said that's been there since 1993, but has no source identified, and she then immediately removed it, took my email, and two hours later I got confirmation.   So 9/10 as I was expecting much more hassle.

Citi: Just to activate a new card.  Got transferred to a CSR who thanked me for being a customer (yes, meaningful sincerity there, I should have thanked her for being my CSR) and then tried to interest me in a BT.   So something that is usually automated took too long, so 3/10  for Citi.

Message 6 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

It also very much depends on which card you are calling for. I found Zync CS to be script readers. Surpass, OTOH, was incredibly responsive and willing to go off script. I tried repeatedly to get my zync backdated without success, whereas after calling the surpass line, I was able to get it done in one phone call. So maybe ask people to mention which card they are referring to when they post an answer.

+1

I found calling the "fee" cards to have better results and better CSRs.  All the Platinum CSRs I've ever spoken with were always professional, courteous, well spoken, articulate and had very good problem solving skills.  They understood Amex products and the idiosyncracies related with certain requests.  It had gotten to a point where I'd just call the Plat number for issues with my other cards.

Only time this didn't work was for the Zync.  They told me the Zync was handled by a different dept, and they didn't have access to it.  The Blue cards--at least when I called--seemed to have different (less senior and not as well seasoned) CSRs than the charge cards.

Message 7 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I haven't had many issues with AMEX. Been pretty pleasant.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 9
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

I have the Gold Card and I've had no unpleasant contacts with customer service. I hope this never changes...lol.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.