Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex cut me down fr 30K to 6K

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex cut me down fr 30K to 6K

Don't close the card.

What you should do is charge teeny tiny things on it once every other month or so. I'm talking things like a Big Gulp, a Snickers bar, maybe a bag of tees at the golf club. Do that for six months, call back in all sweet and nice, and ask for a CLI.

They'll more than likely get the hint.
Message 31 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
Don't close the card.

What you should do is charge teeny tiny things on it once every other month or so. I'm talking things like a Big Gulp, a Snickers bar, maybe a bag of tees at the golf club. Do that for six months, call back in all sweet and nice, and ask for a CLI.

They'll more than likely get the hint.

good advice, i didn't close mine.

however i won't make a charge on it at all. i use it to secure rental cars and hotel rooms, but always pay with another card. since my cld i've been to at least half a dozen other cities across the us (including st. thomas, san juan) and france. i'm going to europe at least 1 more time prior to my 6 month mark, we'll see how they treat me then.

come january i'm apping the plat and killing my delta converted blue (unless they show me tons of unsoliciated cli's).
Message 32 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Folks, Smiley Happy

In the couple of months that I've been contributing to this forum I have to admit
that I've read just as many 'good' AmEx threads as 'bad' ones. But the bad ones
cut into our psyche pretty deeply. I mean, if a card issuer tells you that it's ok to
make a monthly payment, why would they turn around and decrease your limit
when you're "paying as agreed"? That's the part that really gets under people's skin. Smiley Mad

When AmEx is good, they're great. But when they come after people and reduce
their limits simply because they were following instructions, that kind of thing rubs
everyone the wrong way. Smiley Surprised

And to get back to the original point: no matter what anyone says, AmEx is most
definitely a PIF culture. Just ask Howard and countless others who ended up on the
short end of the stick... Smiley Sad

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything"

Message Edited by CanDoAttitude on 06-27-2008 05:40 AM
Message 33 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here is another article that will shed some light on this, even though I believe that the members have explained and advised very well.

Message 34 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks..I just read an article on Yahoo regarding Amex reducing CLs..Its the financial climate etc. 
Message 35 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting incite with Amex--I have paid $5500.00  and will SD the card as soon as I PIF next statement or even before that....Fr now on will only use them for small puchases..corner store shopping etc. They are not worth my Credit Worthiness going to the dogs...

However, BOA is giving CLI like mad!!!! AMEX uses Experian so do not know how that pans out. Will SD the card until it's PIF.......never to use it except for very small purchases.  
Message 36 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

howardi wrote:
That's interesting incite with Amex--I have paid $5500.00  and will SD the card as soon as I PIF next statement or even before that....Fr now on will only use them for small puchases..corner store shopping etc. They are not worth my Credit Worthiness going to the dogs...

However, BOA is giving CLI like mad!!!! AMEX uses Experian so do not know how that pans out. Will SD the card until it's PIF.......never to use it except for very small purchases.  

LIke most members here, I think that would be the best course of action. They lost their grace with you and for that they should get what they deserve. By keeping the card and using it once every few months on tiny purchases should send them that message.

Way to go!

Message 37 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for posting that article..I was just about to post it myself. My In-Law is the a Director for Amex for the NE...And I will be talkign to her soon about this madness fr her company. I am pissed.
Message 38 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, if you get any "insider information", please share it with all of the great people here in this forum. Knowledge is power.
Message 39 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi getintherequick, Smiley Happy

Thanks so much for posting that article. It complements perfectly
the Bloomberg article I posted earlier in this thread.

So based on the 2 articles, we now know which banks and credit card
issuers are most likely to lower credit limits in the near future:

American Express
Washington Mutual
HSBC
Wells Fargo

And you can add Bank of America to that list as well.

BofA is very good to its clients and provides excellent customer service.
But what BofA giveth, they are also quick to taketh away. So for all of you BofA
customers out there (myself included) I would call to find out what percentage
of a CL they are comfortable with before red flags start popping up. They recently
purchased Countrywide and are looking for ways to be more efficient with
capital. So we want to be on the "plus" side of the ledger, not the "minus" side. Smiley Happy

Once again, thanks for posting the article. Smiley Happy

CanDo

"The right attitude is everything" 

Message Edited by CanDoAttitude on 06-28-2008 09:29 AM
Message 40 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.