Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex declining charges

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Amex declining charges

In my extended fun with Amex saga:  using a new Blue Cash card and a few charges kept failing.  I was expecting fraud alerts or account locked indications somewhere but nothing.   I called and they told me that there was an alert on the account, and the basic member should call.  And "probably" no charge would go through.   Though in fact they did!  After calling, everything worked.

Is charges being declined without any indication normal?  I've never seen that before.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex declining charges

I wanna say i read on the comments of the amex card website it has happened. Dont remember which card i was reading about.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 21
Open123
Super Contributor

I've never seen this either, whether it's Amex or any other issuer.

Message 3 of 21
zarteycranford
Regular Contributor

Amex seems to be getting a litlle strange these days.

Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

In my extended fun with Amex saga:  using a new Blue Cash card and a few charges kept failing.  I was expecting fraud alerts or account locked indications somewhere but nothing.   I called and they told me that there was an alert on the account, and the basic member should call.  And "probably" no charge would go through.   Though in fact they did!  After calling, everything worked.

Is charges being declined without any indication normal?  I've never seen that before.

That's right, keep playing with the piranha...

Message 5 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I'm actually being good.   Well, not good, but not too bad!   Being shutdown without further consequences is a bad learning experience....    They closed my $50K card, but since then Amex have given me $29K new credit, and NASA gave me $30K and I even got a 2K increase from Cap One so ahead of the game!

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I'm actually being good.   Well, not good, but not too bad!   Being shutdown without further consequences is a bad learning experience....    They closed my $50K card, but since then Amex have given me $29K new credit, and NASA gave me $30K and I even got a 2K increase from Cap One so ahead of the game!

Amex is finding out what history has proven before: those darn Brits are tough to kill...Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

You apped a new BC card?!

Message 8 of 21
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

You apped a new BC card?!

No, got a different Amex card.  Using my wife's BC though.

Must say, securiy is heavier than I remember.  When my wife had to call Account Security, they insisted on calling her back.  Fine, but since we can change the contact number easily enough, this is just feel-good security!

Message 9 of 21
NRB525
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

On the AMEX site, you can set up various fraud alerts for your card, and have them texted to your phone. Card Not Present, certain merchant situations, you get an instant text so that gives an indication when AMEX sees certain charges. It tells you to call the number on the card if it isn't appropriate, but it is a good feedback loop from AMEX. Usually these things build over time.

I also had set up another card with monitoring, and during a slew of small charges one day, got a text to confirm Y or N if the charges were mine. A Y reply was all that was needed.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.