Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex denied.... again.....

tag
GoingTo800
Contributor

Re: Amex denied.... again.....

I look at it different than most people do. You invited Amex to have the privilege of sending you one of their cards so that THEY could make money off of your purchases and they made a mistake of not jumping on the opportunity to have the prestige of having you in their portfolio. There are plenty of other companies out there, I would give someone else the chance to make that money off of you and never look back. Businesses need to be slaves to the consumer, not the other way around. Keep your head up, better things are in store for you.
Equifax Feb 2012 690
TU Feb 2012 720
Message 61 of 85
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

Frugal,

I am actually 21 years old. I actually plan on entering into grad school in two years, might take an extra year to pursue other interests, which should put me at about 27 when I finish. I hope I answered your question. I just feel that in some ways that the above might not be the answer you were looking for. Smiley Embarassed.

****On a side note: I think MyFICO Forum needs a multi-quote feature badly****

In other words,  you are at LEAST 2-3+ years removed from a major purchase, like a mortgage.

What I am trying to get at, is that you have TIME on your side, a luxury that a lot of us older folks sometimes can't afford because we're in a transitional era where we want the best interest on a house in 7 months or the lowest APR with the highest CL on a card NOW.

Just give it some time, and you'll get there. You're building. Most of the people on these forums are rebuilding and when it comes to that, sometimes time is of the essence.

Time is truly on your side with this issue.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 62 of 85
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

GBPac12 wrote:

@SenorDragon wrote:

+1 to IdiotSavant, do what works for you. I will agree with the others in the post as they have provided sound advice to get in with AmEx and for your credit profile in general, but as it has also been noted in other threads, Amex is a quirky one. My brother, age 20 and in college applied and was approved for the BCE about a month ago. He has a very thin credit file, having a couple of student loans and a 500CL CU credit card that he opened about a year and a half ago on his file. He works part-time and as a student, you can imagine he is not the big-income big-spender type Amex looks for. The things that I think helped in his case were low inq and low util. I had a very similar profile when I got my first Amex (TE), only difference was I had a $800 CLI CapOne for about 6 years but similarly I had no inqs and very low util. These cases may be the exception, but based on what I personally have seen, low inqs and low util counts big. Again though, you can't go wrong following the advice that's already posted, pretty solid IMO.

+1 to IdiotSavant as well. It all depends on an individuals personal preference as to the amount of CC they feel comfortable with, for you it was 1 other might be 10 and some even more. 

SenorDragon,

I think the inquiries was one of the major factors taken into consideration at the time of my application request, but then again Amex is a hard nut to crack.

Frugal,

I am actually 21 years old. I actually plan on entering into grad school in two years, might take an extra year to pursue other interests, which should put me at about 27 when I finish. I hope I answered your question. I just feel that in some ways that the above might not be the answer you were looking forSmiley Embarassed.

I am sure it played a role, income probably did as well. They like more established credit histories, as a rule, especially on their revolvers.

Not to speak for Frug, but he probably was just trying to get a perspective on where you are in your life journey, and understand your perspective on credit management.  Don't be embarassed to be young.  At the same time, don't be in such a hurry. Some good things take time to bulid (like a solid credit history).

GBPac12: do I detect a preference for green and yellow jerseys and triangular foam cheese hats? Smiley Happy

I have taken to using multi colors when I can. I agree 100%!

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 63 of 85
FrugalRican
Blogger

@crunching_numbers wrote:

Not to speak for Frug, but he probably was just trying to get a perspective on where you are in your life journey, and understand your perspective on credit management.  Don't be embarassed to be young.  At the same time, don't be in such a hurry. Some good things take time to bulid (like a solid credit history).

Until you pointed it out, I didn't realize what he was embarassed about.

You were exactly right on my intentions.

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 64 of 85
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Frugal,

I am actually 21 years old. I actually plan on entering into grad school in two years, might take an extra year to pursue other interests, which should put me at about 27 when I finish. I hope I answered your question. I just feel that in some ways that the above might not be the answer you were looking for. Smiley Embarassed.

In other words,  you are at LEAST 2-3+ years removed from a major purchase, like a mortgage.

What I am trying to get at, is that you have TIME on your side, a luxury that a lot of us older folks sometimes can't afford because we're in a transitional era where we want the best interest on a house in 7 months or the lowest APR with the highest CL on a card NOW.

Just give it some time, and you'll get there. You're building. Most of the people on these forums are rebuilding and when it comes to that, sometimes time is of the essence.

Frug, didn't I read on a previous thread that you are in your 30's? Smiley Very Happy 

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 65 of 85
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Frugal,

Frug, didn't I read on a previous thread that you are in your 30's? Smiley Very Happy 

LOL, 30 is a great number and age too Smiley Tongue.

I will try not to rush things, but I keep thinking that an extra year of credit histroy might come in handy one day, you never know Smiley Happy

Message 66 of 85
LS2982
Mega Contributor

GBPac12 wrote:

@SenorDragon wrote:

+1 to IdiotSavant, do what works for you. I will agree with the others in the post as they have provided sound advice to get in with AmEx and for your credit profile in general, but as it has also been noted in other threads, Amex is a quirky one. My brother, age 20 and in college applied and was approved for the BCE about a month ago. He has a very thin credit file, having a couple of student loans and a 500CL CU credit card that he opened about a year and a half ago on his file. He works part-time and as a student, you can imagine he is not the big-income big-spender type Amex looks for. The things that I think helped in his case were low inq and low util. I had a very similar profile when I got my first Amex (TE), only difference was I had a $800 CLI CapOne for about 6 years but similarly I had no inqs and very low util. These cases may be the exception, but based on what I personally have seen, low inqs and low util counts big. Again though, you can't go wrong following the advice that's already posted, pretty solid IMO.

+1 to IdiotSavant as well. It all depends on an individuals personal preference as to the amount of CC they feel comfortable with, for you it was 1 other might be 10 and some even more. 

SenorDragon,

I think the inquiries was one of the major factors taken into consideration at the time of my application request, but then again Amex is a hard nut to crack.

Frugal,

I am actually 21 years old. I actually plan on entering into grad school in two years, might take an extra year to pursue other interests, which should put me at about 27 when I finish. I hope I answered your question. I just feel that in some ways that the above might not be the answer you were looking forSmiley Embarassed.

I am sure it played a role, income probably did as well. They like more established credit histories, as a rule, especially on their revolvers.

GBPac12: do I detect a preference for green and yellow jerseys and triangular foam cheese hats? Smiley Happy

I have taken to using multi colors when I can. I agree 100%!

so colorful...................................Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 67 of 85
FrugalRican
Blogger

@Anonymous wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Frugal,

I will try not to rush things, but I keep thinking that an extra year of credit histroy might come in handy one day, you never know Smiley Happy

Yes, crunching, I am 31, but I feel 50 on really cold days.

If you apply to AMEX and get approved by the end of the year, it still counts as 2012. That backdating would come in MOST handy one day.

I started with my first credit card at 23 and didn't learn a lick about credit until I was 30. You already have one foot in.

That ONE card and a cellphone account gave me the AAOA I needed to gather up the rest of my cards, so you are right, the extra year may come in handy, but the knowledge of what to do with it and how to amass it, comes in even more handier! If not, handiest! Handierest!

Message 68 of 85
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Frugal,

Yes, crunching, I am 31, but I feel 50 on really cold days.

If you apply to AMEX and get approved by the end of the year, it still counts as 2012. That backdating would come in MOST handy one day.

I started with my first credit card at 23 and didn't learn a lick about credit until I was 30. You already have one foot in.

That ONE card and a cellphone account gave me the AAOA I needed to gather up the rest of my cards, so you are right, the extra year may come in handy, but the knowledge of what to do with it and how to amass it, comes in even more handier! If not, handiest! Handierest!

I wish I had the sense to do right when I was 23.......so stupid back then about credit!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 69 of 85
FrugalRican
Blogger

The good thing is that it's never too late to build/rebuild/re-rebuild.

Message 70 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.