cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex froze my accounts, Citi to the Rescue!

tag
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Amex froze my accounts, Citi to the Rescue!

As I was browsing Starwood's website to use my SPG card to plan an impromptu trip this week, I get a notification that a $1 charge on my BCP fails. I immediately knew something was wrong with my whole entire Amex account because I recently charged up about $50k in charge card charges.

I logged into my account and all my cards were suspended and just as I thought, it was my business platinum that locked everything down. I called Amex and they confirmed they wanted a payment even though a statement hasn't cut. They already have a recent 4506-t on file, I've never gone through an FR and was happy to learn that they didn't want to perform one. I offered to pay my personal platinum in full which had a higher balance than the biz platinum and actually had a payment due in a few weeks but they indicated that wouldn't fix the problem. I found it interesting that they only wanted a relatively small payment on the account which I paid and it indeed unfroze all of my accounts.

By the time all my accounts were unfrozen, I missed out on the room I wanted to book which was a blessing in disguise. I was able to find a beach front room that isn't advertised for some reason through a travel agent at a resort on a private-ish island where the doors literally open up to the sand with a private jacuzzi in the room. I called up Citi's concierge and immediately recouped my annual fee+ thanks to the 4th-night perk. 

This incident is making me consider canceling my SPG card next month considering the AF comes due unless I receive a retention offer. I already have the Marriott & Ritz cards, I spend about $5k annually @ Marriott on the Ritz card, probably on track to spend about $20k total. $0 spend on Marriott since obtaining Ritz. Any advice from the Marriot/Ritz/SPG experts (jsu?) is welcomed.

TL;DR - Was looking to book a stay with SPG, ran up a high balance on Amex Biz Platinum, all cards including personal cards were frozen, got account unlocked. Missed out on SPG room, found a way better room/resort, Citi 4th night to the rescue. 

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.