Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex getting refused at more places

tag
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex getting refused at more places

Re swipe fees and small shops...

One thing I've noticed is the really small shops I visit (food trucks, small coffee shops, farmer's markets), they all use Square. So, they're paying the same flat rate regardless of which card I use. So, just throwing that out there... Not all "small shops" necessarily pay more for Amex.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 11 of 53
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

Anyone find the irony that a lot of small mom and pop stores don't accpet Amex, but Amex markets "Small Business Saturday?"  I run into this from time to time and this marketing campaign always pops into my head.

I guess keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Amex must hate mom and pop places cause so many dont use them. I sure it varies but how much of a difference is amex vs visa/mastercard?

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 12 of 53
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@bigblue7722 wrote:

@B335is wrote:

Anyone find the irony that a lot of small mom and pop stores don't accpet Amex, but Amex markets "Small Business Saturday?"  I run into this from time to time and this marketing campaign always pops into my head.

I guess keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Amex must hate mom and pop places cause so many dont use them. I sure it varies but how much of a difference is amex vs visa/mastercard?

Apart from the  possible difference in swipe fee, there is also the perception (on both sides) that Amex is more likely to side with the card holder in disputes.  WHich while great for the consumer, also makes the idea of accepting Amex less appealing to a merchant.  Because there are indeed customers who will try to take advantage!

Message 13 of 53
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

I doubt it. I use my AmexED literally everyday and I have only had it turned away once

since i opened it late May. It was a local rest. 

Message 14 of 53
dize
Regular Contributor

I don't have the pleasure of having an Amex card yet. but this happens to me with my discover fairly often..it is rather annoying.

Message 15 of 53
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

The people who WORK at DelTaco aren't sure what a Del Taco is either

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 16 of 53
Open123
Super Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:

Ah, is it better than Taco Bell?

Message 17 of 53
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@woodyman100 wrote:

Ah, is it better than Taco Bell?

Based on the menu, yes.One opened up in my neck fo the wood, but immediately shut its doors months later. 

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 18 of 53
ecocredit
New Contributor

Yes, I've noted that Amex is not accepted at the smaller stores. However, there are stores that have advertised as accepting Amex however when you go to pay they "request" you to pay with Visa/MC/Discover. In those cases I've reported these unscruplous businesses to Amex.

Message 19 of 53
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

Del Taco is gross

Message 20 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.