Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex getting refused at more places

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Amex getting refused at more places

@MT936 wrote:

just have to say where I live I have never been to a place that doesn't accept amex so it is a non issue for me

Moreover, a while ago, another Poster pointed something that I had never thought about.  For restaurants who need to save save 1% - 1.5%, one needs to wonder what else they're cutting corners on?  Are they not making enought to buy quality ingredients, excericse proper sanitation, or ensure the food is well kept and fresh?

This post was a few years ago, and has stuck in the back of my mind ever since.

Message 31 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what the swipe fees are in the US, but overseas I have seen 5% added to the bill for Amex, and 2% for Visa/MC.  I have also seen 3% more for Amex, but no extra for Visa/MC which matches the 5% and 2% (they just allow for the 2% in the price).

Looking at my wife's usage (she uses an Amex as her preferred card), I would say as much as 10% do not take Amex.  Overseas it depends on country, but when I travelled a lot on a company Amex, on average only 50% took Amex.

Message 32 of 53
One7
Valued Contributor

I don't think I've ever seen a restaurant that didn't take Amex.

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 33 of 53
One7
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know what the swipe fees are in the US, but overseas I have seen 5% added to the bill for Amex, and 2% for Visa/MC.  I have also seen 3% more for Amex, but no extra for Visa/MC which matches the 5% and 2% (they just allow for the 2% in the price).

Looking at my wife's usage (she uses an Amex as her preferred card), I would say as much as 10% do not take Amex.  Overseas it depends on country, but when I travelled a lot on a company Amex, on average only 50% took Amex.

Wow that's alot! No wonder why many smaller shops don't accept it. $50 for every $1000 of Amex CCs can add up very quickly, especially if the mark up is low.

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 34 of 53
irrational
Frequent Contributor

@One7 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Wow that's alot! No wonder why many smaller shops don't accept it. $50 for every $1000 of Amex CCs can add up very quickly, especially if the mark up is low.

Luckily Amex interchange fees are nothing like that in the states. From what I've read, they're more like:

Fast Food Restaurant 3.50%

Lodging 3.50%

Mail Order & Internet 3.50%

Restaurant * 3.50% plus a $0.05 Transaction Fee

Telecommunications 3.50%

Other Transportation 3.50%

Independent Gas Stations 3.25%

Retail * 2.89% plus a $0.10 Transaction Fee*

Services, Wholesale & All Other 2.89% plus $0.15 Transaction Fee*

Office-based Doctor, Dentist, Orthodontist 2.55%

Healthcare not office-based 2.89% plus $0.15 Transaction Fee

Tuition 2.40%

Supermarket 2.30% 

* A surcharge of 0.30% will apply to transactions that are not swiped. For example, keyed-in, e-commerce and other card-not-present transactions will be charged a discount fee of 3.80% instead of 3.50%

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 35 of 53
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

I went to pick up Chinese food last weekend and they didn't accept Amex. Luckily, I thought they might not and shoved another card in my pocket before I left the house. However, when I was in NYC last weekend I noticed that EVERY little mom and pop shop took Amex and even had a little AMEX pen holder to sign your receipt. Regional differences, I suppose.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 36 of 53
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@MT936 wrote:

just have to say where I live I have never been to a place that doesn't accept amex so it is a non issue for me

Moreover, a while ago, another Poster pointed something that I had never thought about.  For restaurants who need to save save 1% - 1.5%, one needs to wonder what else they're cutting corners on?  Are they not making enought to buy quality ingredients, excericse proper sanitation, or ensure the food is well kept and fresh?

This post was a few years ago, and has stuck in the back of my mind ever since.

Based on what my recipts have looked like over the past several years, I am pretty sure they are just raising prices and lowering portions. 

They arent going to risk a health code violation, fines and closure for a 1% swipe charge. They are either the kind of place that takes care of those things, or they arent. A 1% swipe fee doesnt change the core of their principles. 

Message 37 of 53
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@PDXoriginal wrote:

In the last week I have been refused using Amex as a payment more than in the last decade. Granted most of the places were small businesses i.e. cafes, but even Del Taco refused to accept Amex!

Is this a sign of mass revolt?

I noticed the same in some Countries, they no longer accept AMEX.

Message 38 of 53
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@peaceonearth wrote:

@PDXoriginal wrote:

In the last week I have been refused using Amex as a payment more than in the last decade. Granted most of the places were small businesses i.e. cafes, but even Del Taco refused to accept Amex!

Is this a sign of mass revolt?

I noticed the same in some Countries, they no longer accept AMEX.

WHen i goto Thailand in September i will keep my eyes open how many places accept amex. I won't use my card over there since they have ftf lol , but will just keep my eyes open l

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 39 of 53
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@bigblue7722 wrote:

a lot of mom and pop places in CT dont take amex or discover. Atleast with amex they have the special offer deals, 3x cli, and backdating. All I have ever gotten for my discover it card was a 5 dollar starbucks card. Thanks but no thanks.

Yeah in Fairfield county few places don't like taking amex because the really high swipe fees from what I understands 

Have you ever been to bills seafood in westbrook,ct? Its a little drive for you but that place drives me insane. They have two full bars one outside one inside plus a full restaurant and they dont take credit cards at all. The owner must be doing it to avoid taxes. I hope they catch him. It makes no sense to me. They just have a stupid atm. I hate carrying cash. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.