Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex green card benefits!!!!!

tag
garci349
Established Member

Amex green card benefits!!!!!

List best benefits from using amex green card. or your favorite :-)      $95 annual fee worth it?

Amex Green Card, U.S. Bank Platinum $2,000, U.S. Bank Line of Credit $1,500, BoFA Visa $500, C1 $500
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
eviLution
Established Contributor

Re: Amex green card benefits!!!!!

The only benefit I see is it helps you get your foot in the door with Amex to qualify for their better cards and that leads to a lot of good benefits! ;P

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 2 of 45
garci349
Established Member

haha. I hope I end up making good money to use those high cards! My parents have the platinum but they charge over 250+ alone on bull**bleep**. they want a black.

Amex Green Card, U.S. Bank Platinum $2,000, U.S. Bank Line of Credit $1,500, BoFA Visa $500, C1 $500
Message 3 of 45
Ron1
Super Contributor

Message 4 of 45
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I would just point out that the thread Ron links to was from before the discontinuation of the zync. While zync existed, the green had little value. Now, however, it is the cheapest charge card available for personal use. It's main benefit is for people with high monthly spends, but low credit limits or people who used to have plat or prg, don't travel any more, but have a bunch of mr points they want to keep active.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 45
garci349
Established Member

Im putting about 1k a month. Its my only card with rewards
Message 6 of 45
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I would just point out that the thread Ron links to was from before the discontinuation of the zync. While zync existed, the green had little value. Now, however, it is the cheapest charge card available for personal use. It's main benefit is for people with high monthly spends, but low credit limits or people who used to have plat or prg, don't travel any more, but have a bunch of mr points they want to keep active.

AKA......No benefit at all! 

IMO the Green card is a straight rip off.  There are tons of no/low af cards that give better benefits/cashback/points. Hell, even the US Bank Cash+ is better.  5% back on airfair/hotels/restaurants/car rentals and Visa Sig benefits.  It's a no brainer IMO.  Even if you transfer the MR points to an airline at 2-3x value the Cash+ would still save you money.  Just my opinion.  Now the BCP is a different story....

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 7 of 45
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Double post and off topic. sorry

@garci349 wrote:
Im putting about 1k a month. Its my only card with rewards

Why don't you ask BoA to add 123 rewards to your card?  Or ask US BANK for a PC?  Boa was more than happy to PC my Visa card to whatever I wanted, Visa plat to 123 to travel rewards and to a Travel Rewards Sig.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 8 of 45
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

AKA......No benefit at all! 

IMO the Green card is a straight rip off.  There are tons of no/low af cards that give better benefits/cashback/points. Hell, even the US Bank Cash+ is better.  5% back on airfair/hotels/restaurants/car rentals and Visa Sig benefits.  It's a no brainer IMO.  Even if you transfer the MR points to an airline at 2-3x value the Cash+ would still save you money.  Just my opinion.  Now the BCP is a different story....

I agree, but it's always difficult to know whether a card is really worth it! 

One common thing is people "saving" with points etc, but are in fact buying things that that wouldn't otherwise buy, just to get the rewards (which is of course why the issuers and partners create these cards).   

For that reason I prefer straight cash back cards that don't encourage special behavior like "Since Chase Freedom has 5% at store X this quarter, I will go there and buy..." 

So I like cards like the Fidelity Amex, which you can just use instead of cash (where they take it of course) without changing your behavior and get 2% off, and then special cases like BCP and PenFed Platinum Rewards, which have very generous (near)-cash back in the useful year-round categories of groceries and gas.

(But nothing like hypocrisy: I have bought arguably unnecessary gift cards at grocery stores with my BCP "because they are 6% off."!)

If your patterns are different, such as always eating out and not driving, but love travel, the Amex Green is a better choice (but as flowfaster says, probably not the best choice).

Message 9 of 45
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@garci349 wrote:

haha. I hope I end up making good money to use those high cards! My parents have the platinum but they charge over 250+ alone on bull**bleep**. they want a black.

Other than the prestige factor, airline status and CSRs, I didn't notice too many tangible differences benefits-wise from the platinum vs the centurion. The only thing that really stood out is how people received you upon showing them the card. In many cases it was more hassle than it was worth.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.