Did you mean: 

Amex green card benefits!!!!!

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex green card benefits!!!!!

@flowfaster wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

I would just point out that the thread Ron links to was from before the discontinuation of the zync. While zync existed, the green had little value. Now, however, it is the cheapest charge card available for personal use. It's main benefit is for people with high monthly spends, but low credit limits or people who used to have plat or prg, don't travel any more, but have a bunch of mr points they want to keep active.

AKA......No benefit at all! 

IMO the Green card is a straight rip off.  There are tons of no/low af cards that give better benefits/cashback/points. Hell, even the US Bank Cash+ is better.  5% back on airfair/hotels/restaurants/car rentals and Visa Sig benefits.  It's a no brainer IMO.  Even if you transfer the MR points to an airline at 2-3x value the Cash+ would still save you money.  Just my opinion.  Now the BCP is a different story....

There is a major difference in approval criteria between the two though. There have been many Green approvals reported with subprime scores (<680), whereas to stand a good chance at the Cash+ a suoerprime FICO (740+) is typically needed. In many of those cases it still wasn't enough.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 11 of 45
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@garci349 wrote:
Im putting about 1k a month. Its my only card with rewards
If your annual spend is only 12k, you'd be better off with a no AF 2% cash back card. I'm not sure if you spend enough to justify a $95 AF from the Green.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 45
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

IMO with Green part of that $95 is your interest. Since charge card requires you to PIF, part of the AF is used to compensate lack of interest fee.

You will be better off with AMEX Blue.

Message 13 of 45
garci349
Established Member

Since I've had BoFA for 4 years they have never gave me a CL. So I should upgrade my bofa to a rewards card and close my Amex! 

1. Which is a better choice?

BoFA cash rewards card or travel rewards card? is there more difficutly in getting on or the other?

I dont want to apply for another bofa, i just want to upgrade or swap.

Im looking for points for flights, or cash back...

Thanks guys. you know a lot!

Amex Green Card, U.S. Bank Platinum $2,000, U.S. Bank Line of Credit $1,500, BoFA Visa $500, C1 $500
Message 14 of 45
garci349
Established Member

thanks Smiley Sad

Amex Green Card, U.S. Bank Platinum $2,000, U.S. Bank Line of Credit $1,500, BoFA Visa $500, C1 $500
Message 15 of 45
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@garci349 wrote:

Since I've had BoFA for 4 years they have never gave me a CL. So I should upgrade my bofa to a rewards card and close my Amex! 

1. Which is a better choice?

BoFA cash rewards card or travel rewards card? is there more difficutly in getting on or the other?

I dont want to apply for another bofa, i just want to upgrade or swap.

Im looking for points for flights, or cash back...

Thanks guys. you know a lot!

Amex Delta Gold? 

I wouldn't close your Green if you aren't being charged the AF yet.

Message 16 of 45
Ron1
Super Contributor

IMO Amex Gold PR has more spending power than Green and Zync. Both of my PR Gold Amex Green Amex come with Select and Pay later (pay over time). I never used it and I always pay it in full.  I don't really like BofA credit cards and I use it once a while. They might CLD/close any time they want.

By the way, I heard Amex Delta is the easiest one to get.

Ron.

Message 17 of 45
Exonumist
Established Contributor

I didn't read through all the posts so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but Green is great if your a borderline approval for an Amex. The first year af is waived and , at least for me, the Amex Sync feature through Facebook, Twitter, Xbox Live, etc is awesome. Just in the past month I have gotten $115 in statement credits for money that I would have spent anyways. $50 for a $100 Best Buy purchase, $25 for a $100 Costco purchase, $5 for a $10 AMC purchase, $10 for syncing to Xbox, and $25 for beating Halo 4. That's just this month. I'm sorry, but that's nearly 40% off of the money that I spent. They also have things like extended warranties and roadside assistance. All of that plus 1 point for every dollar and I'm building a positive payment history with them. I love my Green card. I think it just really depends on how you use it.

Message 18 of 45
laboi_22
Established Contributor

I'm a fan of the Green card as well! Yes the AF of $95 is expensive, but lets look at the benefits to determine if it's worth it. Again this is all subjective and may or may not make sense or appeal to you, but for me this is my point of view.

1)I enjoy the free roadside assistance. I work on the road in sales and this benefit is invaluable and worth the $95 fee. They will pay $50 per need up to 4 times a year so that means if you do take advantage of this, you they will have paid out $200 at no cost to you.

2) Protections such as purchase protection, extended warranty, fraud prevention. Using any of these benefits just once can certainly pay off the AF

3) I love the no spending limit. I'm happy to pay $95 for the ability to use a card and not have to worry about running into issues against a credit line. Most importantly I can let a balance post, pay it off a week later on there will be no effect on my credit utilization. That is worth the AF to me. I think us myficoer's let credit lines bother us. If I have a low CL with a bank I'm worried about how long it will take to grow and when I should request a CLI. Not necessary with the Green card.

4) I love the ability to track my expenses, organize them into categories, tag them, group them, and graph them. Another invaluable benefit.

5) I love the service and prestige AMEX provides. I don't really care about MR points because I don't collect them as much I as do cash back etc. I actually got my first year AF waived, collected enough MR points to pay off this year's annual fee. Since I don't see much more benefit in the MR, I choose this option. I intend to keep it that way and enjoy the benefits of my AMEX Green.

Having said all of this, the Green card is not even my primary card and serves it's purpose in my wallet. I love my AMEX Green and despite it's flaws and high AF, I"m proud to carry it around!

Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 19 of 45
distantarray
Established Contributor

@Default4 wrote:

I didn't read through all the posts so I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but Green is great if your a borderline approval for an Amex. The first year af is waived and , at least for me, the Amex Sync feature through Facebook, Twitter, Xbox Live, etc is awesome. Just in the past month I have gotten $115 in statement credits for money that I would have spent anyways. $50 for a $100 Best Buy purchase, $25 for a $100 Costco purchase, $5 for a $10 AMC purchase, $10 for syncing to Xbox, and $25 for beating Halo 4. That's just this month. I'm sorry, but that's nearly 40% off of the money that I spent. They also have things like extended warranties and roadside assistance. All of that plus 1 point for every dollar and I'm building a positive payment history with them. I love my Green card. I think it just really depends on how you use it.

I got a Amex BCP and I have 4 authorized users and we went and bought 125$ worth of gift certificates on small business saturday and got it for free =) all credited back within a day.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 20 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.