Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex green card

tag
ripstick20
New Visitor

Amex green card

My credit history is pretty limited. I only have one credit card through discover that's been open for about 4 months and a few student loans that are still in deferment because I am still in school. Yesterday I got letter in the mail from Amex trying to get me to apply for the Green Card. The annual fee for the first year was waived but there was no sign up bonus. I looked into the card and I'm not interested in the Green Card but wondered what my chances of getting approved for another amex such as the BCE of Delta skymiles.

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex green card

Do you have a credit score?

What is your Discover limit?

You would probably be good for the Gold Premier Rewards Charge also... then if approved for that you could try for Blue or Delta and cancel the gold before year is up and AF bills.

Message 2 of 18
ripstick20
New Visitor

I don't have my current score but when discover approved me for a $1500 limit four months ago my score was 679

Message 3 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The revolvers would require a longer credit history than 4 mos. if you really want a revolver, wait another 2-4 mos.
Message 4 of 18
ripstick20
New Visitor

Also I've had no lates and always PIF

Message 5 of 18
missambitious
Established Member

Delta is pretty easy to get in with, but if you do go for the green you could always wait til you've had it a year and try for the bce while you have the green (to make a denial a soft) I would wait until you were closer to the one year mark for your discover and hope for an auto cli since they are known for those. You'll have a better chance because AMEX likes history. In the meantime keep PIF & low reported util because of your def student loans. Good Luck!

123 BOA Cash Rewards 2K, Macy's Store, GE Capital (local furniture) 4K & counting

Long Term Goals:
Amex BCP, Discover, CSP
FICO score 750+ Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 18
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

You would probably get approved for the green card, I did with a score around yours, although I do have more credit history.

Does anybody know if it's possible or even worth it to upgrade a charge card to gold rewards maybe?

I think its cool that I have AMEX Green. Applied back in August via invitation letter just to see where I stand in the credit game. Instant approval, but without a rewards program, a charge card to me is pretty useless, not to mention a $95 dollar fee due next year. 

Would I be eligible for upgrade at the 6 month mark?

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 7 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I would never upgrade a charge card and lose out on the sign up bonus. But, it is possible it's done all the time.

The UW is the same for all charge cards. IMO, its wiser to app for the card you want and get your sign up bonus.
Message 8 of 18
Shock_
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
I would never upgrade a charge card and lose out on the sign up bonus. But, it is possible it's done all the time.

The UW is the same for all charge cards. IMO, its wiser to app for the card you want and get your sign up bonus.

I already got my 25k points bonus. If I upgrade, I'm pretty sure it's transferable?

It wouldnt hurt to have more TL's, but I don't want to pay 2 AF's of 95 and presumably 175, especially if a charge card let alone two of them arent that beneficial for FICO purposes. A 175 AF is justifiable with rewards...hence a 95 AF without rewards is not.

Capital One Quicksilver MC $3000 6/2011 | Chase Amazon Visa $1400 8/2012 | Citi Diamond Preferred MC $4200 7/2013 | AMEX Green NPSL 8/2013 | Chase Freedom $1000 Visa 8/2013 | AMEX BCE $7000 2/2014 ==> 2/2013
Message 9 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

The sign up bonus for the PRG includes the AF waiver for the first year. Assuming you haven't paid for the Green card, cancel it before the AF is due. Keep in mind, Amex may not honor a sign up bonus if it falls within a certain timeframe of receiving the first bonus.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.