cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex hard limit reached.. Charge approved after how ??

tag
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Amex hard limit reached.. Charge approved after how ??

Hello everyone so back in feb. I had a hard limit placed on my card for 3k... In the past 6 months I have been reaching that amount every month.. I have some auto pay things every month which I see that Amex always pushing through. So this statement ending on the 29th at 3249.64 that's $250 over my hard limit. Today I logged in an see that a charge went through for 1150.63.. I was shocked cus I have tried before to go over but it always denies me. Anyway I excited thinking maybe my hard limit was removed, but I just logged in and under my balance it still shows available credit 0... How did this charge get approved ??? The company I bought it from pushed the payment through.... Manually. But I have been getting alerts that they have been trying to push the payment for 3 weeks now but Amex is declined the charge cus it will go over my hard limit.. But what happened now how did the charge get approved ???
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: Amex hard limit reached.. Charge approved after how ??

This is definitely a question for Amex customer service, since only they are going to know the details of the situation.

Anything we tell you would be modestly informed speculation at best.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 2 of 8
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

+1

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 8
bahbahd
Established Contributor

In the past I have gone $3500 over a hard limit with AMEX.

Message 4 of 8
youngman1234
Established Contributor

How do they let you go over though ??
Message 5 of 8
EmpressLuv
Contributor

Did Amex even send you an email about the large purchase?  Just last month, although it says I have NPSL, I got a call card issuer message for a $824 charge...my statement had just cut and although I had paid 1000 off my 3690 due I figured let me try and see if they would put that through...but when i called them the guy said let me see what I can do, he went on to say I see that you had an unusual spending pattern, i told him yes had some car troubles this month on both cars, he goes ok well i will approve the charge, just go back to the merchant and run the charge again..then asked when will i make a payment, told him the thursday i will pay 1700 and by the following monday pay the balance, way before the due date too and he said fine.  All this to say that maybe your account got reviewed and they decided to just let it go....be happy about it eh.

My Wallet: AMEX Gold NPSL, AMEX BCE 1K, Express 1350, Victoria Secret 2250, Macy's 2000, Kay's 7600, Capital One 1400, Capital One 4000, Quicksilver One 3500; Quicksilver 3000; QVC 3500, Walmart 6000, Pier 1 1250, Kohl's 1500, JCrew 1550, JCPenny 3600, Discover 1500, Lowes 12000, Amazon 2400

Lender Pull: 2/16/13 TU: 672 EX: 681 EQ: 671
Current Scores: 2/6/15: TU 696 EX: 679 EQ: 658
Goal Score: 700
Message 6 of 8
bostonte
Frequent Contributor

So you have been stringing the merchant along for three weeks? They probably got tired of it and submitted it as a force post without a preauthorization. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And it can seem to work and backfire later.

You aren't supposed to do it, but can if you have the proper permissions on their terminal.

Message 7 of 8
youngman1234
Established Contributor

I didn't do it on purpose...the merchant would never listen to me and charge on the right time. Then sandy hit us bad, anyway I didn't do anything I just logged into my account and was like wow how did the charge get approved...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.