Established Contributor

Amex hard limit reached.. Charge approved after how ??

Hello everyone so back in feb. I had a hard limit placed on my card for 3k... In the past 6 months I have been reaching that amount every month.. I have some auto pay things every month which I see that Amex always pushing through. So this statement ending on the 29th at 3249.64 that's $250 over my hard limit. Today I logged in an see that a charge went through for 1150.63.. I was shocked cus I have tried before to go over but it always denies me. Anyway I excited thinking maybe my hard limit was removed, but I just logged in and under my balance it still shows available credit 0... How did this charge get approved ??? The company I bought it from pushed the payment through.... Manually. But I have been getting alerts that they have been trying to push the payment for 3 weeks now but Amex is declined the charge cus it will go over my hard limit.. But what happened now how did the charge get approved ???
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex hard limit reached.. Charge approved after how ??

This is definitely a question for Amex customer service, since only they are going to know the details of the situation.

Anything we tell you would be modestly informed speculation at best.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12)
Current: EQ 670 (myFICO 9/8/14), EX 694 (Prosper 7/17/14) , TU 693 (WalMart 9/2/14) Goal: 700+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Amex Zync NPSL (> 10k), C1 Venture VS $5k, Amex SPG $4.5k, Walmart (Store) $2.5k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Best Buy Rewards MC $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k
Valued Contributor

+1

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 748 Wishlist: CSP, Simply Cash, SPG, BOLD, INK, United MP,
Goal Score: 800

Walmart: 10k |Usaa: 8k|BCE: 13k| Amex: NSPL|Dis: 9.4k|Cap: 5.5k|CAP: 2k|CSP: 13.4k| Pen:4.5k

Established Contributor

In the past I have gone $3500 over a hard limit with AMEX.

Established Contributor

How do they let you go over though ??
Contributor

Did Amex even send you an email about the large purchase?  Just last month, although it says I have NPSL, I got a call card issuer message for a $824 charge...my statement had just cut and although I had paid 1000 off my 3690 due I figured let me try and see if they would put that through...but when i called them the guy said let me see what I can do, he went on to say I see that you had an unusual spending pattern, i told him yes had some car troubles this month on both cars, he goes ok well i will approve the charge, just go back to the merchant and run the charge again..then asked when will i make a payment, told him the thursday i will pay 1700 and by the following monday pay the balance, way before the due date too and he said fine.  All this to say that maybe your account got reviewed and they decided to just let it go....be happy about it eh.

My Wallet: AMEX Gold NPSL, AMEX BCE 1K, Express 1350, Victoria Secret 2250, Macy's 2000, Kay's 7600, Capital One 1400, Capital One 4000, Quicksilver One 3500; Quicksilver 3000; QVC 1600, Walmart 5000, Pier 1 1250, Kohl's 1500, JCrew 1550, JCPenny 3600, Discover 1500, Lowes 12000, Amazon 1200

Lender Pull: 2/16/13 TU: 672 EX: 681 EQ: 671
Current Scores: 2/6/15: TU 696 EX: 679 EQ: 658
Goal Score: 700
Frequent Contributor

So you have been stringing the merchant along for three weeks? They probably got tired of it and submitted it as a force post without a preauthorization. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. And it can seem to work and backfire later.

You aren't supposed to do it, but can if you have the proper permissions on their terminal.

Established Contributor

I didn't do it on purpose...the merchant would never listen to me and charge on the right time. Then sandy hit us bad, anyway I didn't do anything I just logged into my account and was like wow how did the charge get approved...
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.