tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Amex has really gone downhill

@yfan wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@yfan wrote:

@PrimeRate wrote:

(Mod Cut) Red, you definitely have a reason to be upset with AMEX. You're paying for excellence. It may be miniscule, but they did not deliver! I too have noticed the downward spiral. Take your rewards and run. Best of luck!

One could argue that perhaps it's the propensity to "take your rewawrds and run" spreading to more and more people through various websites is what is causing this so-called "downward spiral" in customer service, if there is one. The more customers that "take their rewards (bonuses) and run" rather than using the card for long term value, the more money that has to go to account for those losses and the less left for customer service training. It's not exactly a surprise that Discover, the one card provider that does not provide much of an opportunity to "take your rewards and run" has quickly risen to the top of customer service ratings and Amex had fallen to second place (Chase is third).

Why is this being brought up in yet another thread? 

Because "taking your rewards and running" was brought up in this thread.

Someone making an off-handed comment justifies rehashing this entire debate in a thread that wasn't about that when it started? It just seems like you guys have an anti-churn agenda and if there is even a slightest chance or way of bringing it up it comes out. I'm not saying that to attack you, but what I am saying is I don't think we need to jump at the opportunity to have the same debate over and over just because someone made a minor comment, which clearly wasn't intended to provoke this debate to begin with. Just because someone says something like that doesn't mean its necessary to respond, especially when its not related to the topic at hand. I acknowledge your and KDM's position and you have every right to have your own opinions, but we don't have to keep going over it like this.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 41 of 45
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I agree I don't want to get into it here, that's why I said we should move along.

Message 42 of 45
yfan
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

Someone making an off-handed comment justifies rehashing this entire debate in a thread that wasn't about that when it started? 

I don't think it was off-handed. If that wasn't what the thread was about when it started, you could have interjected as OP when it was brought up first instead of going after me for responding. Whether it was "off-handed" or not, insofar as my response may be considered off-topic, so was the original comment that triggered it. Further, I suggested that as one reason customer service could be suffering, which if I understand correctly, suffering customer service is the topic of this thread, no?

@red259 wrote:

It just seems like you guys have an anti-churn agenda and if there is even a slightest chance or way of bringing it up it comes out.

Who's "you guys?" As for an agenda, I could argue that some here have an agenda to sneak in churning/bonus chasing advocacy. But I am not responding to an agenda. I'm responding to a comment. I can't get inside anyone's head.

@red259 wrote:

I'm not saying that to attack you, but what I am saying is I don't think we need to jump at the opportunity to have the same debate over and over just because someone made a minor comment, which clearly wasn't intended to provoke this debate to begin with.

Well, I don't know that for certain, and even if that were the case, comments provoke discussion that may not have been "intended" all the time. One cannot release something in a public board and assume only reactions will be "intended."

@red259 wrote:

I acknowledge your and KDM's position and you have every right to have your own opinions, but we don't have to keep going over it like this.  

I don't think it's fair for you to expect me to speak for anyone esle, just as I shouldn't group you and LTL into a group just because you hold similar positions on this issue. That's quite alright. We can decide to cease this debate for the purpuses of this thread if you and others do as well.

Message 43 of 45
red259
Super Contributor

@yfan wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Someone making an off-handed comment justifies rehashing this entire debate in a thread that wasn't about that when it started? 

I don't think it was off-handed. If that wasn't what the thread was about when it started, you could have interjected as OP when it was brought up first instead of going after me for responding. Whether it was "off-handed" or not, insofar as my response may be considered off-topic, so was the original comment that triggered it. Further, I suggested that as one reason customer service could be suffering, which if I understand correctly, suffering customer service is the topic of this thread, no?

@red259 wrote:

It just seems like you guys have an anti-churn agenda and if there is even a slightest chance or way of bringing it up it comes out.

Who's "you guys?" As for an agenda, I could argue that some here have an agenda to sneak in churning/bonus chasing advocacy. But I am not responding to an agenda. I'm responding to a comment. I can't get inside anyone's head.

@red259 wrote:

I'm not saying that to attack you, but what I am saying is I don't think we need to jump at the opportunity to have the same debate over and over just because someone made a minor comment, which clearly wasn't intended to provoke this debate to begin with.

Well, I don't know that for certain, and even if that were the case, comments provoke discussion that may not have been "intended" all the time. One cannot release something in a public board and assume only reactions will be "intended."

@red259 wrote:

I acknowledge your and KDM's position and you have every right to have your own opinions, but we don't have to keep going over it like this.  

I don't think it's fair for you to expect me to speak for anyone esle, just as I shouldn't group you and LTL into a group just because you hold similar positions on this issue. That's quite alright. We can decide to cease this debate for the purpuses of this thread if you and others do as well.

I'm not going to get in a back and forth with you over this. If you intend to have this debate you can have it with yourself as I'm leaving the thread. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 44 of 45
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP is leaving the thread it is locked from further discussion. I am also at a loss that some of you continued on even though I had posted a warning, this is going to stop on these boards and if it takes temporarily sending people on vacation then that is what will be done.

Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.