Did you mean: 

Amex imposed spending limit

tag
Lyythine
Established Contributor

Re: Amex imposed spending limit

@Anonymous wrote:

@youdontkillmoney wrote:

What was your imposed limit that was sent to you?

I checked online and mine typically ranges from $100,000 - $125,000 but never received any letter from AMEX formaliznig this explicitly without me asking.

Wow, is 100k+ normal for the Plat?

"Normal" is a relative term. Typically, those that find the benefits of the Amex Plat worth the annual fee either travel quite a bit, spend a lot, or both. In my case, I travel constantly and I can easily put 100k on my card each month.  Im the odd one out on these boards as I have not had any issues with Amex and declining purchases, etc:

As discussed in depth, the amount they let you spend greatly depends on your average usage. I had to purchase a bunch of things for a job a couple weeks ago and over the course of 2-3 days, I charged 186k to the card with no questions asked. I then got the card declined later that day at a gas station because they flagged that charge as fraud, but they called me within 1-2 minutes of the card being declined and it was all taken care of.  All this is to say, is 100k+ normal? Perhaps moreso than other cards only because of the client base of the Amex Plat, thats about it.

Message 21 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

"amount charged and PAID with other creditors."  Theres no way that I am aware of that any creditor can see amount charged and paid with other creditors.

I look on my reports and it shows if a balance was reported, not always the exact payment amount.... it does not show anything of use. 

What is it that I am missing?  Because if a  person always paid before statement cut date amex would have no idea other than the total credit line...

And also am I correct in stating that the amount charged over the credit limit on an amex credit card is treated like a charge card and that portion plus the minimum payment must be paid by the due date?

Depending on the Issuer, when examined the hard copy of my CRAs, they listed the amount I paid.  In today's data mining environment, it wouldn't surprise me if Amex had a way to easily factor in not only the amounts we charge on other cards, but the amount we pay.  One of the often used reasons for an Amex decline has/had been, "amount paid too small," something along those lines.

Amex Revolvers limits aren't "hard" in the traditional sense.  You can always go above the CL without penalty, but just have to pay that portion in full by the due date.  In other words, you're free to charge above an Amex Revolver's CL without a fee/penalty, but you just can't carry the balance.  

Since we are on the topic, would the amount charged over the limit report to the CRAs?  just thinking down the road about options ....

Message 22 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since we are on the topic, would the amount charged over the limit report to the CRAs?  just thinking down the road about options ....

Yes.

In the short term, unless you pay before the statement cuts, a short term drop in your scores would be likely.  There would be no effect on a business card, since the TLs are hidden from your personal CRAs.

I don't track my scores from month to month, but I'm sure they dropped when I exceeded my CLs.  However, once paid, I'm sure the score returns to normal the following month.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.