Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex inquiries

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Amex inquiries

I'm a little confused about Amex inquiries. I'd like to know if anyone has apped for BOTH the charge and revolver on the same day without 2 HP.

I thought that ANY 2 apps the same day was only one HP. But then, someone corrected me and said that it was 2 apps of the SAME time (e.g. 2 revolvers or 2 charges). So, I would *really* appreciate some clarification of what others have experienced with multiple Amex apps on the same day, so I can decide what I want to app for and when.

Thank you!!! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex inquiries

I have read here in the past that ppl have tried to apped for 2 Amex CCs in the same day. For the most part, the ppl who did get approved for the 1st card will not get approved for the 2nd Amex within the same day. So unless you get approved for both CCs in the same day, you are more than likely will get a 2nd HP if Amex approved you for the 2nd card on a different date. But than again....YMMV.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but keep in mind that Amex could pull all 3 too. They don't always only pull 1, and reading some of the other posts here, I know I'm not the only one they've triple-pulled. They even tried to triple-pull for the Zync (and did in the past). So no matter what, you're not guaranteed it'll only be 1 HP.

Message 3 of 11
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but keep in mind that Amex could pull all 3 too. They don't always only pull 1, and reading some of the other posts here, I know I'm not the only one they've triple-pulled. They even tried to triple-pull for the Zync (and did in the past). So no matter what, you're not guaranteed it'll only be 1 HP.

On my 1st Amex apped, they pulled EX and than TU. On the 2nd Amex apped 6 months after, they only HP Ex....YMMV.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

I'm a little confused about Amex inquiries. I'd like to know if anyone has apped for BOTH the charge and revolver on the same day without 2 HP.

I thought that ANY 2 apps the same day was only one HP. But then, someone corrected me and said that it was 2 apps of the SAME time (e.g. 2 revolvers or 2 charges). So, I would *really* appreciate some clarification of what others have experienced with multiple Amex apps on the same day, so I can decide what I want to app for and when.

I applied for 2 Amex cards the same day within minutes of each other...first card approved instantly..second went for review and approved a few days later so I got 2 HP but I'm okay with that since I was approved for generous credit limits Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Hmmm... Sounds like the idea of only one HP for multiple Amex apps on the same day is a bit of an urban legend. Maybe a few people got lucky, but it's looking like for the most part, it's a least one HP per card. It would make my life so much easier if I could get my darned EX FICO, so I knew where I stood before I apped!

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 11
winstars
Regular Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Not an urban legend...

IMHO, many people who have done the "double app, single HP" move apped for the AMEX PRG (credit card) first and then (after instant approval) the BCP or BCE. (revolver)  They (including myself) first and most importantly cleaned up their reports as much as possible, baddies, INQ's and credit UTI wise. The thinking is that the credit card is easier to get so you app for that first and IF instantly approved, you then go for the second card, the revolver. I waited until I got my report without any baddies and then double apped and got the one INQ. I was a little anal in waiting for all the stars to align, I am sure others got the same results but with possibly some minor negatives on their reports. As always YMMV but the above is basically what has actually happened, again IMHO...

Do a search for PRG and BCP apping here on myfico, there were more than a few threads answering your questions in the summer and the fall of 2011...

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@winstars wrote:

IMHO, many people who have done the "double app, single HP" move apped for the AMEX PRG (credit card) first and then (after instant approval) the BCP or BCE. (revolver)  They (including myself) first and most importantly cleaned up their reports as much as possible, baddies, INQ's and credit UTI wise. The thinking is that the credit card is easier to get so you app for that first and IF instantly approved, you then go for the second card, the revolver. I waited until I got my report without any baddies and then double apped and got the one INQ. I was a little anal in waiting for all the stars to align, I am sure others got the same results but with possibly some minor negatives on their reports. As always YMMV but the above is basically what has actually happened, again IMHO...

Do a search for PRG and BCP apping here on myfico, there were more than a few threads answering your questions in the summer and the fall of 2011...

I don't have any baddies and have low util, but I have a short credit history and a thin file. My oldest CC will be one year in March; though I did have a loan for a year before that. Still, short AAoA and thin file. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I got hit with two.  I believe if it's two cards of the same type it'll only be one, i.e. two charge cards.  But if it's one charge and one revolver it will be two, that's how it was for me.

Message 9 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

I got hit with two.  I believe if it's two cards of the same type it'll only be one, i.e. two charge cards.  But if it's one charge and one revolver it will be two, that's how it was for me.

Yeah, it sounds like that's the most likely outcome, and some people have been lucky with only one pull. Kind of like the luck of the draw.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.