Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex interest

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex interest

So...DH has the Amex version of credit steps on his account. I paid the min by the due date and then paid the statement balance before the statement cut this cycle. Because the steps offer requires the statement cuts with a balance I had to make sure we were going to have a balance.

Statement just cut and he was charged $4 in interest! Read the interest rules and the balance has to be paid by the due date, not statement date to avoid interest. I don't think this is the case with any of our other cards because I've avoided all interest so far until now.

Are there other cards out there like that?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex interest

If I understand you correctly, what Amex did is what every bank does. Let me see if I got this right. A statement cut. Then you paid the minimum before the due date. Then a few days/weeks later you paid the rest of the statement off before the second statement cut. Is that right? If so, you should've been charged interest. You have the pay off the full statement balance before the due date for that statement. 

For example: Statement cuts with $100 September 1st with a due date of September 25th. To avoid interest you have to pay off all $100 before September 25th. What I think you did is pay off the minimum before September 25th and then paid off the rest of the $100 before the next statement cut October 1st. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hummm...I guess we push so much spend thru our other cards & PIF after charges post I haven't been charged interest. I usually let a small balance post on each card, but it must accrue after I've already paid the statement balance off. I thought the grace period extended to the statement cut date. Learn something new every day!
Message 3 of 7
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Your new statement balance should come from new charges. Anything that carries over from previous statements will be subject to interest.

My suggestion at this point would be to get in touch with AMEX to see what you can do to make the interest stop without affecting your eligibility for the built-in limit increase. It's possible that anything you charge might be subject to interest right now.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So...DH has the Amex version of credit steps on his account. I paid the min by the due date and then paid the statement balance before the statement cut this cycle. Because the steps offer requires the statement cuts with a balance I had to make sure we were going to have a balance.

Statement just cut and he was charged $4 in interest! Read the interest rules and the balance has to be paid by the due date, not statement date to avoid interest. I don't think this is the case with any of our other cards because I've avoided all interest so far until now.

Are there other cards out there like that?

I think other cards the due date and the new statement date are pretty close together perhaps that is why you haven't paid interest.  

I am not sure why you are doing what you are doing.  I think you are confused about the statement balance and paying your bill.

For example:

July 8th to August 8th you charge 200 dollars.  Statement come out August 11th pay the 200 dollars after statement comes out and before due date of August 23rd

August 9th to September 8th you charge 300 dollars Statement comes out September 11th you pay the 300 dollars before due date of September 23rd

Simple you have balances on statement and you pay zero interest.    Doesn't matter if you charge 300 dollars between August 9th and August 23rd you would have to pay that until after September 11th and avoid interest.   Just look at your statement and pay that total amount of charges before due date and you will be fine. 

Message 5 of 7
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

If you do not pay the entire balance by the DUE DATE, you will be charged interest.  This is how every credit card works.

If you want to put a non-zero balance on your next statement, it should come from new charges.

Message 6 of 7
NRB525
Super Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

If you do not pay the entire balance by the DUE DATE, you will be charged interest.  This is how every credit card works.

If you want to put a non-zero balance on your next statement, it should come from new charges.

To clarify, you must pay the last Statement Balance by the due date on that statement. After the statement date, those new charges are assigned as part of the next statement cycle, do not need to be paid until after that next statement prints a due date. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.