Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex is overrated

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex is overrated

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with you OP, Amex does not suit everyone's needs.

They seem a bit skittish when it comes to "higher" utilization and carrying balances. Not my kind of bank and I would never apply for one of their cards.

Asking for a 4506 on a green charge card is laughable. If they were so concerned, then they needed to ask for a 4506-T before approval.

Drop 'em like a hot potato. Good riddance.

I notice people sometimes complain about Discover and how they can be stingy with starting limits or CLI on new accounts; the thing is Discover doesn't flinch when you need to utilize and carry a large percentage of your credit limit, at least in my experience. That's the kind of bank I want to do business with.

If they've given me 15k in borrowing power I expect to be able to USE a substantial percentage of that limit without a FR or CLD. If they only want me to use < 30% of my limit, don't give it to me in the first place. The whole 30% thing is arse backwards. I'm not interested in high limits just for show.

They have CLD chase people as well.....  I wouldn't want to be spending 30% of my avaliable credit considering total credit that i have is like $140k .

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 21 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for the Amex Green Card last week and today I receive a letter from them with a 4506- T tax request. My income is only 37k which is exactly what I listed but I will not be sending that form back. I would not fill out that form for any creditor including Amex. I don't have any relationship with them either.

So, you are basing your statement on a request for documentation? I have never been asked for any verification of income and I have 6 cards with them. Amex must have seen something in your credit profile that they did not like.

I think the bigger question is why is AMEX sending the OP a 4506-T form? It's not like theOP is reporting a $500,000/year income, they're reporting 37k. Does it look like the OP is lying to the card issuer?

It's just the Green card. A crap card with a $95 annual fee, no revolving capabilities, no benefits, and a rewards program not suited for anyone at all compared to what the compeition offers, even AMEX's own competition.

If the OP doesn't pay their balance in full every month, just axe their card. No need to send ridiculous forms. I think AMEX would be the only one to do that in this situation.

I agree AMEX is overrated, and will continue to be until they axe their CEO. Not sure why they haven't done it yet.

Message 22 of 90
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for the Amex Green Card last week and today I receive a letter from them with a 4506- T tax request. My income is only 37k which is exactly what I listed but I will not be sending that form back. I would not fill out that form for any creditor including Amex. I don't have any relationship with them either.

So, you are basing your statement on a request for documentation? I have never been asked for any verification of income and I have 6 cards with them. Amex must have seen something in your credit profile that they did not like.

I think the bigger question is why is AMEX sending the OP a 4506-T form? It's not like theOP is reporting a $500,000/year income, they're reporting 37k. Does it look like the OP is lying to the card issuer?

It's just the Green card. A crap card with a $95 annual fee, no revolving capabilities, no benefits, and a rewards program not suited for anyone at all compared to what the compeition offers, even AMEX's own competition.

If the OP doesn't pay their balance in full every month, just axe their card. No need to send ridiculous forms. I think AMEX would be the only one to do that in this situation.

I agree AMEX is overrated, and will continue to be until they axe their CEO. Not sure why they haven't done it yet.

Just because they do that and what they do in general doesn't make them overrated.... Overrated is an opinion and not a fact as well. You might think so but doesn't actually make them overrated either...

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 23 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just because they do that and what they do in general doesn't make them overrated.... Overrated is an opinion and not a fact as well. You might think so but doesn't actually make them overrated either...

Look what AMEX used to be, and look what the are now... Of course they 're overrated. They still have that "prestigous" outlook from many people.

Just like Apple is overrated. Apple and AMEX are the best two companies one can compare when it comes to being overrated. What used to be premium products are no more.

Message 24 of 90
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Look what AMEX used to be, and look what the are now... Of course they 're overrated. They still have that "prestigous" outlook from many people.

Just like Apple is overrated. Apple and AMEX are the best two companies one can compare when it comes to being overrated. What used to be premium products are no more.

Still an opinion.... NOT a fact. 

Calling Apple overrated is still an opinion and this is from somebody who has an iPhone 6 Plus and have Android devices as well... 

a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to producecomplete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Your belief is that Amex is Overrated .... I disagree with that opinion.

Message 25 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Calling Apple overrated is still an opinion and this is from somebody who has an iPhone 6 Plus and have Android devices as well... 

1) Customer service, gone very down hill.

2) Acceptance still spotty in some places.

3) Losing card partners and exclusive acceptance left and right.

4) Credit line decreases during the recession, for no reason.

5) Scared lending tactics, with looser requirements at the same time.

6) Slashing CEO's pay by 30% recently.

But yeah, don't let facts get in the way. Before this turns into a mess, I'm just going to leave the conversation with you, and speak with someone else. See ya. Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree that the 4506-T is completely ludacris, and I am a CPA. I do, however, think that there should be some sort of verification system in place for creditors to verify income information real-time in this day and age. 

That sounds like a good concept. 

What information is on a tax transcript that is more personal than a person gives when applying for a credit card?

It's basically a printout of your entire tax return line-by-line, including your spouses name, SS#, and income/deductions as well as your children's SS#'s (if applicable).  They also get to see your annual medical expenses if you itemize - which many people feel crosses the line - and anything else you itemize that you might not want in a database somewhere.

Personally if my spouse were to get a request for a tax transcript (if I were married) there would be a very long discussion before moving forward, since I would have a big problem with my personal information being handed over to a creditor I had no account with, especially if we each earned enough anyway to not have to rely on the other's income to qualify. 

In an example such as this I'm not their actual customer, so if there were to be a data breach I'm not sure what level of responsibilty they would be required to assume for me.  And that goes even more so for dependent children's information... to me that's actually the worst part of the whole thing... children have no say in the matter at all.

I agree, it's not the creditors business. If the creditor wants verification of income, call the cardholder's/applicant's employer and get paystub information, or request it from the cardholder.

Message 27 of 90
UncleB
Credit Mentor

There's plenty of room in here for everyone's opinion, and just because we don't agree on something that is subjective isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.

I'll add that some of my very favorite people in life tend to disagree with me on many things... and we get along great.  Smiley Wink

We also listen to each other, and respect the fact that our opinions are simply different.  To do otherwise would be similar to trying to convince someone that a certain food is 'good'... it just doesn't make sense.

As for lenders, there are a couple that I feel are overrated as well, but if I'm honest I'll admit it's mostly due to past experiences I've had with them.  There are also folks who think those very same issuers are the 'bees knees'... and I'm cool with that, too.  Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

There's plenty of room in here for everyone's opinion, and just because we don't agree on something that is subjective isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.

I'll add that some of my very favorite people in life tend to disagree with me on many things... and we get along great.  Smiley Wink

We also listen to each other, and respect the fact that our opinions are simply different.  To do otherwise would be similar to trying to convince someone that a certain food is 'good'... it just doesn't make sense.

As for lenders, there are a couple that I feel are overrated as well, but if I'm honest I'll admit it's mostly due to past experiences I've had with them.  There are also folks who think those very same issuers are the 'bees knees'... and I'm cool with that, too.  Smiley Happy

I know, I know. I just prefer to walk away from the conversation sometimes rather than get into a "fist fight" with someone.

Message 29 of 90
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1) Customer service, gone very down hill.

2) Acceptance still spotty in some places.

3) Losing card partners and exclusive acceptance left and right.

4) Credit line decreases during the recession, for no reason.

5) Scared lending tactics, with looser requirements at the same time.

6) Slashing CEO's pay by 30% recently.

But yeah, don't let facts get in the way. Before this turns into a mess, I'm just going to leave the conversation with you, and speak with someone else. See ya. Smiley Happy

1) still the 2nd best from experience

2) Never had any issue with acceptance ( NYC Home city) and elsewhere but hey Same with Discover But they aren't overrated?

3) Meh IDC

4) I only had my Amex since Nov 2013 and never got a CLD

5) I got FR'ed and not a scratch ....

6) MEh IDC? 

Still what facts are there ?  Other than 6. Overrated is a term which is an opinion in of itself. You can call them overrated but it is still an opinion. 

Message 30 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.