Did you mean: 

Amex is overrated

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex is overrated

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

There's plenty of room in here for everyone's opinion, and just because we don't agree on something that is subjective isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.

I'll add that some of my very favorite people in life tend to disagree with me on many things... and we get along great.  Smiley Wink

We also listen to each other, and respect the fact that our opinions are simply different.  To do otherwise would be similar to trying to convince someone that a certain food is 'good'... it just doesn't make sense.

As for lenders, there are a couple that I feel are overrated as well, but if I'm honest I'll admit it's mostly due to past experiences I've had with them.  There are also folks who think those very same issuers are the 'bees knees'... and I'm cool with that, too.  Smiley Happy

I know, I know. I just prefer to walk away from the conversation sometimes rather than get into a "fist fight" with someone.

Sometimes that's the best thing to do as well.  Just keep in mind that even smart, good people can see things differently... and it's OK to just say "I hear ya, but we'll just have to agree to disagree".

At that point, I usually try to point out something that we actually do agree on just to demonstrate that we're not really that far apart after all, then I try to take the conversation in a different direction.  I always keep in mind the person who sees things completely different from me in one thread might be the guy I'll need to help me out with something completely unrelated in another thread, so I try to stay nice and respectful no matter what.  Smiley Very Happy  (That has happened to me!)

Message 31 of 90
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

There's plenty of room in here for everyone's opinion, and just because we don't agree on something that is subjective isn't necessarily a bad thing, either.

I'll add that some of my very favorite people in life tend to disagree with me on many things... and we get along great.  Smiley Wink

We also listen to each other, and respect the fact that our opinions are simply different.  To do otherwise would be similar to trying to convince someone that a certain food is 'good'... it just doesn't make sense.

As for lenders, there are a couple that I feel are overrated as well, but if I'm honest I'll admit it's mostly due to past experiences I've had with them.  There are also folks who think those very same issuers are the 'bees knees'... and I'm cool with that, too.  Smiley Happy

I know, I know. I just prefer to walk away from the conversation sometimes rather than get into a "fist fight" with someone.

Fist fight? I am just telling you that it is an opinion calling them overrated and you want to say  your opinions as facts ....

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 32 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with mountain dew. Amex used to be much better. I think it's time for a new CEO. Not saying their CEO hae always been bad but lately seems like he is running out of ideas to be proactive
Message 33 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closing brings up good points also so nobody is wrong just different opinions.

I think amex needs to adjust and change or they will continue to decline
Message 34 of 90
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I agree with mountain dew. Amex used to be much better. I think it's time for a new CEO. Not saying their CEO hae always been bad but lately seems like he is running out of ideas to be proactive

They used to be much better but I wasnt disagreeing with it ... I was disagreeing with him stating it was a "Fact" that they were overrated... Calling anything something is an opinion not a fact .... but an opinion. Do I thinl they used to be better? yes but I don't see them as overrated... Never really rated them either...

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 35 of 90
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Fist fight? I am just telling you that it is an opinion calling them overrated and you want to say  your opinions as facts ....

Nah, no fighting here tonight... the furniture's too expensive and gdale just replaced the carpet.  Smiley Very Happy

I think we can agree that there are several different valid opinions on Amex, and even on this board the opinions can vary quite a bit from person to person depending on our experience with them.

I'm personally pleased at the moment since the cash back I'm earning is contributing to a new laptop computer (whenever this one finally breaks) but that could always change, and if something were to come up I would have to reassess the relationship at that point.

So far, so good, though...

Message 36 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

You both bring up good points.

One problem I really see with amex that is troublesome is friends, family, and coworkers that used to praise amex doesn't anymore and has moved on to either MC visa or discover. At work there is def a trend of ditching amex for other cards
Message 37 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

To me amex current customer service seems like something you would get from a credit one or first premier. Not from a well established major player
Message 38 of 90
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You both bring up good points.

One problem I really see with amex that is troublesome is friends, family, and coworkers that used to praise amex doesn't anymore and has moved on to either MC visa or discover. At work there is def a trend of ditching amex for other cards

My daily Driver i my Citi Thank you premier but that is more because I prefer the reward structure more than MR points. I do like Amex products as well and use my Amex Hilton card. 

Message 39 of 90
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
To me amex current customer service seems like something you would get from a credit one or first premier. Not from a well established major player

Meh I still find they are great .... Way better than other banks that I have contacted but that is only a few.... 

Message 40 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.