cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex is terrible. Will be cancelling soon.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex is terrible. Will be cancelling soon.

After poking around the internet the consensus is that a business is not legally obligated to charge after shipment. They can indeed place the charge immediately although it seems most don't as it can be bad for business.

I did find something stating that its both Visa and MC's policy to only charge after shipping...although that info may not be reliable. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on visa and MC's policy.

Sorry OP not trying to hijack the tread just adding some clarification.
Message 71 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@atomicfront wrote:

American Express customer service is 100 times better than Chase.  Seems like you are adding to your aggrevation by getting upset about something that you can pick up at a local store for the same price. 

what chase card and amex cards are you comparing?  sapphire support vs gold or platinum?  you have to be kidding.  chase is 100% us based.  amex is 100% outsourced unless it gets run to to the EO.  sapphire is without peer imo from a support standpoint.  I have done a downgrade, 2 pc's and a ton of cl moves all in the same call without issue.  never seen anything like it

Chase is the worst company I have ever dealt with. About 9 years ago they sent me a deal where if I transferred money to their card they would give me for a 2 percent fee  a 2.9 percent interest for life on the card.  I had it in writing.  So I transferred 20k to the card.  And a year later they informed me they were raising the interest rate to 5.9 percent.  I called up their customer service and talked to a ton of people.  Everyone was from India.  Everyone said they were raising rates because Chase wasn't making enough money.  Everyone was condescending.   I would never deal with Chase again.

12 years ago I ordered some checks from an advertisement in the newspaper that had a local sporting team on them.  The check printing company printed the wrong number on the checks. I turned out being 30 days dues to this with three credit card companies.  The check cashing company paid my late fees but Chase refused to take the 30 days late even with a letter from the check printer.  They were rude once again. I had the account for 7 years and never made a late payment before.  This caused other companies to lower my limits which caused my score to go down. 

If American Express is overseas it is probably in the UK as most of the people I talk to sound like they have a British accent.  Whenever I have disputed charges from merchant with American Express they have been totally on my side.  I have a corporate card and had a charge card in the past and the customer service has always been exmplemary.   I recently rented a car in foreign country and had to turn it back in at a key drop.  The rental agency made some bogus claim that their was damage to the car.  American Express immediatley removed the charge.  Said they would handle it.   Many years ago I had to cancel a hotel stay after 2 days of 4 day trip becuase the place not beinig up to standards.  The hotel refused to refund the money called up American Express and they got me my money back.

Message 72 of 102
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@atomicfront wrote:

@bourgogne wrote:

@atomicfront wrote:

American Express customer service is 100 times better than Chase.  Seems like you are adding to your aggrevation by getting upset about something that you can pick up at a local store for the same price. 

what chase card and amex cards are you comparing?  sapphire support vs gold or platinum?  you have to be kidding.  chase is 100% us based.  amex is 100% outsourced unless it gets run to to the EO.  sapphire is without peer imo from a support standpoint.  I have done a downgrade, 2 pc's and a ton of cl moves all in the same call without issue.  never seen anything like it

Chase is the worst company I have ever dealt with. About 9 years ago they sent me a deal where if I transferred money to their card they would give me for a 2 percent fee  a 2.9 percent interest for life on the card.  I had it in writing.  So I transferred 20k to the card.  And a year later they informed me they were raising the interest rate to 5.9 percent.  I called up their customer service and talked to a ton of people.  Everyone was from India.  Everyone said they were raising rates because Chase wasn't making enough money.  Everyone was condescending.   I would never deal with Chase again.

12 years ago I ordered some checks from an advertisement in the newspaper that had a local sporting team on them.  The check printing company printed the wrong number on the checks. I turned out being 30 days dues to this with three credit card companies.  The check cashing company paid my late fees but Chase refused to take the 30 days late even with a letter from the check printer.  They were rude once again. I had the account for 7 years and never made a late payment before.  This caused other companies to lower my limits which caused my score to go down. 

If American Express is overseas it is probably in the UK as most of the people I talk to sound like they have a British accent.  Whenever I have disputed charges from merchant with American Express they have been totally on my side.  I have a corporate card and had a charge card in the past and the customer service has always been exmplemary.   I recently rented a car in foreign country and had to turn it back in at a key drop.  The rental agency made some bogus claim that their was damage to the car.  American Express immediatley removed the charge.  Said they would handle it.   Many years ago I had to cancel a hotel stay after 2 days of 4 day trip becuase the place not beinig up to standards.  The hotel refused to refund the money called up American Express and they got me my money back.

good grief.  as I always say, case by case.  I have just gone through my own amex mini saga, nothing like your dealings by a long shot.  just shows once an individual get burned it's hard to get them back as a customer.  I felt the same way you do re chase before I talked to an amex EO rep a week ago, he did a lot of damage control and made everything all bright and fuzzy again.  my only focus is points, if I get bad service once in a while its not the end of the world just as long as my scores don't get touched lol

Message 73 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are horror stories out there for every creditor, as there are fantastic stories about all of them as well.  It's all about personal experience and naturally we are going to go with what we've personally experienced over everything else.

Message 74 of 102
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@atomicfront wrote:

If American Express is overseas it is probably in the UK as most of the people I talk to sound like they have a British accent.

At the risk of derailing this thread, most calls for "lower tier" charge cards and revolvers are routed to India and the Philippines and most people in the world who speak English would not speak with one of many American or Canadian accents.

Message 75 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah. After a day of thinking about this logically, it is the merchant's fault. They should have charged the full amount. Anyways, the problem has been resolved. My mother will receive her iPad for mothers day 

Message 76 of 102
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Mrm-na wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:
I don't want it to sound like everyone is ganging up on you, but it sounds like AmEx approved the (likely $1) authorization charge that Apple put on the card to verify that it was a legitimate card, but then declined the larger charge later when Apple submitted it because you exceeded your internal NPSL limit for the month or moment. Neither Apple nor AmEx are really at fault here.

I don't understand why retailers do that, especially with credit cards.  What are they trying to accomplish?  Is this supposed to make the customer think the retailer is being "nice", as if they're actually only going to get charged $1?  Are they trying to help people run across the street and double dip on their limits, and pay them back really fast before the first transaction posts?

If I have a pending charge for $200, then that money is no longer available to me.  I don't need the illusion that it's available when in fact it is not.  Nor do I want to be surprised if there's a problem when they charge the real amount. The bottom line is that if there's a problem, I want to know now, not later. In my mind that's the whole point of preauthorization.

The only explanation I can think of is the situation I used to run into with debit cards at a local gas station.  They'd authorize the debit at $75, even though the purchase was in fact much less than that, and the hold would not be released until it expired several days later.  That was very annoying when I had limited funds on that card.

But the solution to that problem is to not keep holds beyond when they are needed.  Promptly charge the correct amount and release the hold (or alternatively, reauthorize for the correct amount) as soon as they know the total - ie 5 minutes later when I'm done pumping gas.  Just set the correct holds properly and promptly and then there's no issues.  I don't see the point of this $1 thing.  Maybe I'm missing something.

I blame the retailer.  If they had authorized the correct amount, it would have been accepted or declined immediately based on the correct amount, saving the customer the annoyance of it being declined 2 days later.

The reason retailers do this is to ensure they will get paid.

At a self-service gas pump, with a debit card, setting the $75 preauthorization covers them. With a CC, the $1 ensures they have a valid card.

They don't know how much your fill will be, whether .5 gallon, 10 gallons or 35, so they have to wait before sending the actual charge through.  If they did not preauthorize (get a deposit) you can bet certain people would figure out how to rush the transaction, use a dummy card, get some gas and drive away without the station being able to complete the actual charge. 

Merchants do it this way because it makes business sense, reduces cost to the consumer (not necessary to have an attendant for each transaction) and ensures the merchant is paid.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 77 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, I did not rush to spend 5k to meet the bonus. I had to spend that much anyways and I normally run 3-6k each month. It's normal spending. 

Message 78 of 102
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I did not rush to spend 5k to meet the bonus. I had to spend that much anyways and I normally run 3-6k each month. It's normal spending. 

I'm in that same boat, where essentially everything but loan payments go on my cards every month and I've operated that way for many years.  Sign-up bonuses are easy since I just switch my spending for a few weeks rather than needing to figure out how to spend to meet a deadline.  There was a lot going on in this thread quickly, so I'm not sure if you saw my question concerning your other Amex account, but for the sake of a data point do you mind letting us know how long you've had that one and how you've used it?  That one had me curious since while there were valid points made for it being a fair amount of spend for a new card, if you've had a previous relationship with them and they know what your spending normally looks like that should not have raised any flags or caused them to have a (relatively) low ceiling for charges.  Also, are you the primary on that?  (AU accounts don't seem to factor in at all for NPSL and SL purposes.)

Message 79 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

The blue everyday cash card is mines. It has 15k on it. One of my very first cards. I'm not sure why amex limited me to just 5k. I spent 10k before on the blue cash. I'm still confused as to why 5k was an issue on the plat.
Message 80 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.