Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex knows who pays before statement date

tag
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Amex knows who pays before statement date

Duh, this is obvious.  It's just odd to have a Customer Service rep tell me, out of the blue, that I usually pay before statement date.  It's like they have a prompt on their screen that says, "this person pays such and such".
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex knows who pays before statement date

They are on to you-

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

all part of thier internal scoring system.
Message 3 of 16
wmarat
Valued Contributor

BOFA knows that too.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would never occur to me that they wouldn't know it (why wouldn't they - they can see everything else you do with the card, so I'd imagine they'd note whether you just about scrape the minimum payment on the due date, or pay the whole balance down before the statement even hits while they're at it!)... but I wonder what they think of it. To me, it's a good thing - but I suppose it could equally be seen as some way of 'gaming' them, jumpy little darlings that they are! Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually pay before statement on my green charge card just to be able to charge more. I know my exposure limit is $5000  and I usually run about $6000 a month on it. The only way I am able to charge more is to make payment before statement date. Is that a bad idea? I was hoping that eventually my exposure limit will increase.
Message 6 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

There are better ways of going crazy than trying to guess if AmEx regards this as good, bad, or utterly meaningless. Smiley Tongue

When I app'd over the phone, and the CSR was explaining how there's a due date, but it's not really the due date, I told her that I usually PIF before statements anyway. She made some sort of vaguely admiring noise, and on we went.

No reason for them to object; they get their money that much sooner.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
TWhen I app'd over the phone, and the CSR was explaining how there's a due date, but it's not really the due date, I told her that I usually PIF before statements anyway.

Any idea what that cryptic remark about the due date is supposed to mean?
Message 8 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

TWhen I app'd over the phone, and the CSR was explaining how there's a due date, but it's not really the due date, I told her that I usually PIF before statements anyway.

Danged if I know! She was saying something about in one place it will say one date, but in another it will say a later date, and the later date's the real one. I was like, "Uh-huh."

Most of the time when I go on their website, etc., I feel like I'm on another planet. Like there's something there that I just don't... quite... get.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 16
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Danged if I know! She was saying something about in one place it will say one date, but in another it will say a later date, and the later date's the real one. I was like, "Uh-huh."

Most of the time when I go on their website, etc., I feel like I'm on another planet. Like there's something there that I just don't... quite... get.

It's because you're resisting. You must be assimilated further into the Amex entity before reaching full comprehension. Give in and become one with the BorgAmex...it's futile to resist. Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.