Amex knows who pays before statement date

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex knows who pays before statement date

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

TWhen I app'd over the phone, and the CSR was explaining how there's a due date, but it's not really the due date, I told her that I usually PIF before statements anyway.

Any idea what that cryptic remark about the due date is supposed to mean?

Danged if I know! She was saying something about in one place it will say one date, but in another it will say a later date, and the later date's the real one. I was like, "Uh-huh."

Most of the time when I go on their website, etc., I feel like I'm on another planet. Like there's something there that I just don't... quite... get.

I sympathize. The most irritating tidbit on their website is their definition of "grace period". They say that the grace period is not the time from your bill to the due date, but the time from your date of purchase to the point when interest will be charged. I found this most irritating.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

With you ALL THE WAY ON THAT ONE!!!!
Message 12 of 16
ChemGuy
Frequent Contributor

Ulan wrote:

It's pretty curious.  I made a payment over the phone because the online system would not allow me to make a payment--that is, I had a string of charges totally 2K but a balance of $0 because the statement had not cut.  So I had to call to make the payment.  The representative then led in with how I usually pay before the statement, etc.  Well, she accepted my payment over the phone and life went on.

BUT, the next day I had a credit limit of $7,977.  I noticed that I had just made a purchase of $22, but otherwise it looked like a CLI?  Laughable, right?  Amex isn't doling out auto-CLI's anymore :-).  So, I called and asked about the peculiar balance, but I phrased it as concern that my payment had been reversed.  The representative researched the situation and said that they're system is "jammed" because I made the payment on an account with a $0 balance!  It wasn't a $0 balance...I had charged 2K!!!  But, she did comment that my CL was still 6K, even though the "jammed system" says its higher.  So, who knows......
Message 13 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@TangMeister wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When I app'd over the phone, and the CSR was explaining how there's a due date, but it's not really the due date, I told her that I usually PIF before statements anyway.
Danged if I know! She was saying something about in one place it will say one date, but in another it will say a later date, and the later date's the real one. I was like, "Uh-huh."

Most of the time when I go on their website, etc., I feel like I'm on another planet. Like there's something there that I just don't... quite... get.

It's because you're resisting. You must be assimilated further into the Amex entity before reaching full comprehension. Give in and become one with the BorgAmex...it's futile to resist. Smiley Very Happy

Whoa, I wonder, when I had Lasik a couple of years ago, and one of my eyes came out so much better than expected, whoa... Did they already start the assimilation process that long ago?? Smiley Surprised

I really hope not. I finally got my hair looking the way I like it, and that helmet thing will really screw that up! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 14 of 16
Zar
Regular Contributor

Hello,

I would like to ask if paying before the statement cuts is bad or not? I do this all the time so I always have a $0.00 balance after the statement drops on my Amex Blue card.

Thank you!

Zar Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Zar wrote:
Hello,

I would like to ask if paying before the statement cuts is bad or not? I do this all the time so I always have a $0.00 balance after the statement drops on my Amex Blue card.

Thank you!

Zar Smiley Happy

It certainly has never hurt me with them.

They come out winners by getting your money sooner than otherwise.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.