Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex logo glows in blacklight!!?

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex logo glows in blacklight!!?

if I remember correctly, I believe the zync has this as well. 

But I don't remember from all the wonderfull stuff I got too do at an undisclosed location... 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 11 of 20
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

@NonSufficientFunds wrote:

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
So I was out this past weekend at an undisclosed location 😜, and I noticed that on my BCE, there was a glowing "AM" in big letter on the far left of the card and an " EX" logo on the far right... It was from a blacklight!
It was super awesome! I took a picture, but alas I have no way of posting that here!
Just thought it was an interesting feature Ive never seen in a CC before...
Anyone else notice?

This security feature has been used for at least 35 years. 

I first noticed the glowing AMEX while I was tending bar in a large nightclub, where black lights were hung over the cash register. 

I also observed that gin & tonic drinks have a glow, when under the black lights, though I have no idea why.

Many drivers licenses and state IDs also have this feature.

It's the quinine in the tonic. Same for vodka and tonic. Quinine is awesome stuff. 

Message 12 of 20
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

All of my mastercards do it as well.  Noticed it playing glow in the dark mini golf.

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: Discover TU: 829 Discover EX: 827
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 830!!
Message 13 of 20
SCoach
Established Member

Current American currency has many tricks up it's sleeve like this.  But I'd never played with the credit cards...  So I decided to lay out all my cards old and new.  Was very interesting.  The Mastercards glow with an "M   C", the Visa's with a "V" across the logo (CSP only on the back), and the AmEx cards with an "A M E X" across the face of the cards... even the Bluebird does it.

Fun stuff.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx Gold | AmEx Bluebird | CSP | Chase Freedom
Message 14 of 20
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Certain things suprise you in a good way when you look under a black light....while others things not so much.  (think hotel bedspread)

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 20
Ailee
New Visitor

No way!!!!! I will have to bring my IT next time I go out!!! I wish there was a card that did 5% on bars/clubs haha!

Last I checked Citi Forward covers bars under restaurants.

Message 16 of 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Haha I don't like Citi.
Ahh! I was thinking that Amex had some exclusive echnology!
Im know fo sho my Chase Freedom did not do anything special under that same blacklight.
I also know sometimes Chase/Discover will classify "bars" as "restaurants"
I've noticed, however, Amex is pretty strict with their cash back category classifications. Must be all these folks participating in "manufactured spending"
Thanks you bastards! :-P
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 20
lazylane
New Contributor

Visa and MC does too. My bf showed me a while ago. It is cool.
Message 18 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

No way!!!!! I will have to bring my IT next time I go out!!! I wish there was a card that did 5% on bars/clubs haha!

Ah now we're getting 'closer' to the 'undisclosed' location lol !!

I went to a bar in NH and took my BCE. It's really cool looking. I didn't try the IT yet

Message 19 of 20
CS800
Super Contributor

@Ailee wrote:

Last I checked Citi Forward covers bars under restaurants.

CITI doesn't liek me. I have most prime cards out there but cant even get a CITI for the life of me. Always delcined.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.