cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex mail offer, but I have a FPB on my Credit report..Advice pls!

tag
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex mail offer, but I have a FPB on my Credit report..Advice pls!

Congrats!!!

Message 11 of 20
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

Congrats

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 12 of 20
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@carlismycat wrote:

That's what I was thinking, or if I just waited . Well, at the risk of sounding impulsive I will admitt I just did the application online today. I only have two other inquireys right now ,so not TOO bad .

It was very easy! And I was scared of seeing the results while I waited (which was less than a second lol) so I clicked on another tab in my browser. But still accidentally saw the result when it popped up lol. I was approved and I went ahead and set up the online user&password. I'm not sure how the whole credit limit/spending rules work but I will carefully learn as I go.

Thanks for the debunking (sp?)  the fico myth....Because it WAS a myth about them rejecting me if I had a FPB on my Credit Report . Now, to go kick the FPB to the curb as originally planned !

Congratulations, and welcome to the Amex family!!!

BTW, I was approved for an Amex Green with not only FP, but also Orchard and Cap1 on my reports. Closed accounts included other notrious rebuilders, like Applied Bank and Emerge. Approvals depend upon the whole picture, not just any one thing.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 13 of 20
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Congrats!  You made the right choice.  If you would have waited for the $2k Discover bill to hit your chances would have been much lower.

Message 14 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 15 of 20
carlismycat
New Contributor

Thank you!
Trying to garden again: Myfico Experian: 621, Myfico Equifax : 613, MyFico transunion: 639
Goal : 780

Message 16 of 20
electra
Established Contributor

@LisaJ wrote:

I recently debunked another MyFico myth when I qualified for a BCP with a really nice CL--and I had a charge off with Amex for a hefty amount 10 years back.

AMEX has relaxed their underwriting a bit over the years.  I feel like they approved me because I have two Chase cards with higher limits.  It has been a long time, and they feel like the risk they are taking on me is worth the chance that I will spend my money with them. 

Look at your credit profile and evaluate your current tradelines.  I had a 4 year old tax lien and a 30 day late that is aging, too.  So definitely room for baddies with AMEX.  I also have two Orchard cards that I closed reporting.

Oh, and AMEX knows exactly who I am, so not a chance that they "lost" me in the system...my card backdated to 1994. Smiley Happy

Lisa

Sooo happy to hear this.  Did they pull EX?

Message 17 of 20
carlismycat
New Contributor

electra, I have no idea which it was they used as far as ex,tu,or eq for me applying. If it stated it on the approval page, I must have missed it.
Trying to garden again: Myfico Experian: 621, Myfico Equifax : 613, MyFico transunion: 639

Message 18 of 20
carlismycat
New Contributor

ugh! for some reason my other post dint go through. I was updating all about how I decided that the costco amex would work out much better. I ended up getting approved for the costco amex, with a credit limit of 4,500. Now my second highest limit . Based on the type of spending we do, it made more sense that we would get more benefits this way, and were already planning to get a costco membership anyway. If its allowed, I will be cancelling the amex green that hasnt even come in the mail or been activated. I would keep it just because,... but #1, after reading more bad reviews about FR's and people being declined, plus never knowing how much I can spend even if I would be pif, and lastly I dint know there wouldn't be an actual cl being reported. Ehich would be nice BUT not good if they only report my highest balance. I dont see why thwt wouldnt hurt my credit. And Im now too scared to use a card so many peiple are saying can be "temperamental" .

#2 If all my husbands and my spending will be on both our discover cards and amex costco , (since we will be working on keeping balances very low) there wont be much $left to spend on amex green . So unless its worth it to just keep it for variety, and spend sparingly on it (like partial sock drawering) I probably dont need it at all.

Message 19 of 20
NCGirl
New Contributor

I received that offer back in March. My EX cr was 718 at the time. I called and told them I didn't want the Green card. They then offered me the Amex BCE and I did the app and was approved! Never thought I would ever have an Amex card... didn't even know that they now have cards that can be paid on rather than paying everything in full. I don't carry balances for long periods of time, but I do typically like to have at least three month to pay off my balances.

Starting Score: 689
Current Score: 689
Goal Score: 770

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Amex BCE, Discover, FNBO AMEX, Citi Dividend Platinum Select Visa, Blue for Business
(In the garden until November 2013)
Next card Visa Signature - World Elite MC(Business)
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.