Amex maximum amount of cards issued

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex maximum amount of cards issued

@jamesdwi wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@anderl wrote:

Ummm no. I know someone who has 7 Amex accts. (5 personal and 2 business)I have 5.

I know I should just go sit in the corner and shut up, but I gotta ask .... Why would you need or want 5 or 7 AmEx cards? .... or Visa cards for that matter?

because each has there own benefits. Zync has rewards on stuff that no other AMEX cards don't,  Then the BCE or BCP have cash rewards, Including up to 6% rewards on some catagories.so Then we move into Travel reward cards and get other benefits tied to those cards, Green cards converts all your MRE points from standard blue and zync cards to MR points that have much higher value. Gold and Platinum and Centurion cards bring lots of other goodies if you travel alot. I am happy with my 2x AMEX cards Zync and Blue next year may add BCE or BCP depending on deals availible, and possibly Green for a year if they offer AF waived on the first year combined with MRE points conversion. 

of course the other main feature is backdating, if you have a 12 year relationship with AMEX 5 cards is equivalent to 60 years of card history. 

Seems like an awful lot of effort to me. Of course I'm old so keeping track of which card to use at which store while carrying a wallet full of cards 3 inches thick, well that's not going to happen. My oldest tradeline is 34 years, then 28, 24 and 22, so even though my ex-AmEx said 1978 on it, I have no interest in getting another AmEx to remind me how old I am.

I do have another question though.....how come the Spell Checker on this Forum suggests "Peggy" every time it sees "Pipeguy" ? (yes it actually does....)

Message 11 of 22
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@jamesdwi wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@anderl wrote:

Ummm no. I know someone who has 7 Amex accts. (5 personal and 2 business)I have 5.

I know I should just go sit in the corner and shut up, but I gotta ask .... Why would you need or want 5 or 7 AmEx cards? .... or Visa cards for that matter?

because each has there own benefits. Zync has rewards on stuff that no other AMEX cards don't,  Then the BCE or BCP have cash rewards, Including up to 6% rewards on some catagories.so Then we move into Travel reward cards and get other benefits tied to those cards, Green cards converts all your MRE points from standard blue and zync cards to MR points that have much higher value. Gold and Platinum and Centurion cards bring lots of other goodies if you travel alot. I am happy with my 2x AMEX cards Zync and Blue next year may add BCE or BCP depending on deals availible, and possibly Green for a year if they offer AF waived on the first year combined with MRE points conversion. 

of course the other main feature is backdating, if you have a 12 year relationship with AMEX 5 cards is equivalent to 60 years of card history. 

Seems like an awful lot of effort to me. Of course I'm old so keeping track of which card to use at which store while carrying a wallet full of cards 3 inches thick, well that's not going to happen. My oldest tradeline is 34 years, then 28, 24 and 22, so even though my ex-AmEx said 1978 on it, I have no interest in getting another AmEx to remind me how old I am.

I do have another question though.....how come the Spell Checker on this Forum suggests "Peggy" every time it sees "Pipeguy" ? (yes it actually does....)

I can only dream of having opennned a AMEX card when I was 18 or 19, keeping it in good standanding and closed 3 months later and do the same every 10 years since, it would of made a big difference on my AAoA which now stands at 13 months..

The delelopers here really need to read this site's content and adjust the internal spell dictionary accordingly it would make the site much more readable. With less work by the users. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 12 of 22
dmbtay
Regular Contributor

i have 3 (Plat/Zync/BCP), all used for different reasons and all utilize the AF.  Will def being going for a 4th in a few months (probably SPG). 

Message 13 of 22
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I know of 7 or 8 for one person... mix between personal and business and 1 charge for person and business... rest being revolving.

Message 14 of 22
Open123
Super Contributor

@dmbtay wrote:

i have 3 (Plat/Zync/BCP), all used for different reasons and all utilize the AF.  Will def being going for a 4th in a few months (probably SPG). 

Likewise, in my view, this is the most effective combination to maximize MR rewards + cash.

Message 15 of 22
JaysonT
Regular Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@anderl wrote:

Did you not get the memo???  The forum member with the most cards at the end of the year will get 50 points add to their score from each of the 3 agencies.  Plus, I hear there is a really awesome superhero cape awarded but thats just rumor.  All runners up get an invite to the CCAA (Credit Card Applicants Anonymous) 12 step program.

Message 16 of 22
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I have 3 (BCP, Costco, and a Zync (formerly a Green) all backdated to 1982.  It has helped keep my FICO scores in the 760-790 range and I like the diversity of benefits each card has.  I have a Delta FF account which has some miles from a recent trip to Asia and I've been getting e-mail invitations to apply for the Delta Gold card with a sign-up bonus of 35k miles which will put my over 53k in my FF account.  First year free.  Plus backdating?.... its sooo tempting.

But honestly... Amex CSRs are some of the best around and they have always been very nice on the phone and make an effort to resolve any issue you may have. Plus they protect their cardholders which is very important to me.  It's probably why folks like to have multiple cards with them.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 17 of 22
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@JaysonT wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@anderl wrote:

Did you not get the memo???  The forum member with the most cards at the end of the year will get 50 points add to their score from each of the 3 agencies.  Plus, I hear there is a really awesome superhero cape awarded but thats just rumor.  All runners up get an invite to the CCAA (Credit Card Applicants Anonymous) 12 step program.

LOL !!

I never get the memo.....

Message 18 of 22
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

I have 3 (BCP, Costco, and a Zync (formerly a Green) all backdated to 1982.  It has helped keep my FICO scores in the 760-790 range and I like the diversity of benefits each card has.  I have a Delta FF account which has some miles from a recent trip to Asia and I've been getting e-mail invitations to apply for the Delta Gold card with a sign-up bonus of 35k miles which will put my over 53k in my FF account.  First year free.  Plus backdating?.... its sooo tempting.

But honestly... Amex CSRs are some of the best around and they have always been very nice on the phone and make an effort to resolve any issue you may have. Plus they protect their cardholders which is very important to me.  It's probably why folks like to have multiple cards with them.

I'm very happy with my Delta Gold

Skymiles in general aren't awesome, but the free checked bag, priority boarding, and $25 lounge access are nice perks. Especially coupled with the rest of the amex benefits. Even if you travel a few times a year with a spouse, it's easy to make up for the annual fee.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 22
jefftca925
Established Contributor

@drsmith wrote:

@jefftca925 wrote:

I'm very happy with my Delta Gold

Skymiles in general aren't awesome, but the free checked bag, priority boarding, and $25 lounge access are nice perks. Especially coupled with the rest of the amex benefits. Even if you travel a few times a year with a spouse, it's easy to make up for the annual fee.

My family and I flew them to Bangkok on Delta last fall and it was a very pleasant experience.  We were able to check two bags (for international) with no hassles and the staff was very accomodating.  I flew United to Asia some years ago and wasn't too impressed with them.  I have an American Airlines CC and they do not offer free baggage check-in or priority boarding and it is a real hassle.  When I flew them earlier this month, everyone on the flight brought all of their luggage on the plane and the flights were always delayed because they couldn't depart the gate due to trying to put luggage away.  What a pain!!  That makes the Delta card so much more appealing.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.