Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex member since date

tag
QuantumCredit
New Contributor

Amex member since date

So I just got my new BCP and under "Member since" it says 12. This came as a surprise, since I've been an ACM for another account since 2007 and on that card, as well as online, it says I've been a member since 07. So I called to inquire about this and the lady told me that the member since year on the card is for that card ONLY, and in their system (as well as on my CR) it does show correctly that I've been a member since 07, but the cards get their individual dates.

Based on what I've read on this and other forums, I have the impression that the member year is for everything and it should say on all my cards and everywhere else the year I first got an Amex card. Maybe it's a recent change? I honestly don't care either way, I will not request a new card just for the new date as long as it reports correctly and my membership year is reflected correctly in their system, but I was a bit surprised when she told me that, so what are your thoughts, have you heard of such a new policy or was she just wrong?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
distantarray
Established Contributor

Re: Amex member since date

remember a lot of CSR's are not very knowledgable and mis informed. Just call back and try a few times til you get through in which you should. but remember if you get backdated to when you got the AU reported on your name ALL your future cards with Amex will get backdated so it's in your best interest. Since Amex is probably not going anywhere anytime soon I personally think you should call a few times Smiley Happy

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 2 of 7
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@QuantumCredit wrote:

So I just got my new BCP and under "Member since" it says 12. This came as a surprise, since I've been an ACM for another account since 2007 and on that card, as well as online, it says I've been a member since 07. So I called to inquire about this and the lady told me that the member since year on the card is for that card ONLY, and in their system (as well as on my CR) it does show correctly that I've been a member since 07, but the cards get their individual dates.

Based on what I've read on this and other forums, I have the impression that the member year is for everything and it should say on all my cards and everywhere else the year I first got an Amex card. Maybe it's a recent change? I honestly don't care either way, I will not request a new card just for the new date as long as it reports correctly and my membership year is reflected correctly in their system, but I was a bit surprised when she told me that, so what are your thoughts, have you heard of such a new policy or was she just wrong?

Thanks.

Hey!  So just for clarification, your card says MS date of 12 but online, the BCP account header says Member since date of 07?  If the online account management header says member since 07, then that is what is reported to CRAs.  If the header says, 2012- then you will need to call and see if you can get it backdated.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 3 of 7
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

There's no need to call unless you want the physical card to say the right date.  The CSR is wrong, but it doesn't matter.  If it's correct online, it will be correct on your report and that is all that matters.  Personally, I would leave it alone as there are some that have reported being told that AUs don't get the benefit of their AU date.  I think most evidence suggests that this is also incorrect and there is a great deal of confusion between AUs being backdated to their AU date or the member date for the original cardholder for their AU account.  In any event, I wouldn't want some CSR to reverse my backdating.  Admittedly, they may not have the power to do that, but I'd leave well enough alone if it's reporting correctly.

However, if you do want it corrected, don't ask them about how it's supposed to work and whether this is correct.  Just call them and politely tell them that you've been a member since 2007 but your card says 2012, can they please send you a new card with the correct date. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 7
QuantumCredit
New Contributor

It does say 07 in the header, but it is the same header for both cards. I'm pretty sure 07 is what will be reported though, and I really don't care what my card says, so I have no intention of calling. I'll check my report in a couple of months and confirm this, if for any reason they are reporting different dates, then I'll call.

Message 5 of 7
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

I am not sure if AU counts for the backdating program.

GL though. 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just happened with my new Plat. I actually had to have them link my account to my other cards for MR points and what not. I also asked them to make sure it was backdated. They apologized and overnighted me a new card.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.