cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex member since question

Valued Contributor

Re: Amex member since question

Mine as '16 on my card and '87 on the website. Hmmm.  Smiley Frustrated

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 11 of 25
Established Contributor

Re: Amex member since question


OhMyWhatHaveIDone wrote:
In 2009 I defaulted on 2 Amex cards. I paid them in full since then. Recently I was Approved for the Delta Amex. I noticed after having set my account up online that it has me listed as a "Member Since '04". Did they back date my account? If this is true will this positively impact my AAoA.

Too bad you defaulted on those 2 Amex cards, since they both could have helped you out significantly. 



(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 12 of 25
Super Contributor

Re: Amex member since question


Irish80 wrote:

longtimelurker wrote:

12velectronics wrote:

kdm31091 wrote:
They still "backdate" the year on the actual card but it's purely cosmetic. The credit bureau is now given the actual opening date for the account.

Thanks for that Smiley Happy

 

My BCE was opened in 2011 (first Amex account). I plan on getting the PRG. Does that mean my PRG will display 2011 on the physical card? If so, that's pretty cool! 


Each to their own (unfortunately) but I can't really think of a situation where having 2011 on a card could justify the phrase "cool"!    Or even a much earlier date, unless you a) point it out, and b) to someone who is impressed by such things.   Miine say 1987 and AFAIK, no-one has ever noticed (or at least commented)


Come on now.  Isnt the reason your wife married you was because she was overwhelmed seeing 1987 on your Gold card?


Well, she has 1984 on hers, so maybe she was amused that it mine was so new!

Message 13 of 25
Established Contributor

Re: Amex member since question


UncleB wrote:

 

Side note:  my own Amex cards each have a different "member since" date: my BCP shows 2015, my PRG shows 2016 and my Delta Gold shows 1995 (I was logged into the Amex website when I apped for the Delta, which is why it has the 'correct' date.)  For the folks who care, it's been reported that when new cards are sent out (for any reason) this date is usually updated to match the website date; I'll get to see in a few years when my own cards expire.


All US consumer Amex cards are now available with contactless, so that would be a good reason to call now, and ask them to send you contactless cards if you don't already have them (some people get them by default but you usually have to ask).

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 14 of 25
Moderator

Re: Amex member since question


nyancat wrote:

 


UncleB wrote:

 

Side note:  my own Amex cards each have a different "member since" date: my BCP shows 2015, my PRG shows 2016 and my Delta Gold shows 1995 (I was logged into the Amex website when I apped for the Delta, which is why it has the 'correct' date.)  For the folks who care, it's been reported that when new cards are sent out (for any reason) this date is usually updated to match the website date; I'll get to see in a few years when my own cards expire.


All US consumer Amex cards are now available with contactless, so that would be a good reason to call now, and ask them to send you contactless cards if you don't already have them (some people get them by default but you usually have to ask).


Yeah, Pooka mentioned that a while back (that contactless is now available) but honestly it's just not that important to me. 

 

The only people that see my cards (other than myself) are the cashiers working the drive-thru at fast food places and no offense to them but I'm just not that concerned with my first impression... LOL.  Further, from what I've heard contactless can still be hit-and-miss, and that's for the places where it's accepted to begin with (which are not many of the places I frequent anyway).

 

Thanks for the suggestion, though.  For somebody who really cares about that stuff (or will be traveling overseas, where I've read it can be helpful) it's a great excuse to call them up and have the cards resent.  Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 25
Established Contributor

Re: Amex member since question


12velectronics wrote:
Can we clear some information please.. when y'all are referring to backdating, there are 3 places I think of:

1. Date shown on their website when you log in to your account.

2. Date shown on your credit report.

3. Date shown on your actual credit card.

Are all three the same or will there be different dates?

Two of the three should be the same.  (All three, when you get your first AMEX)

 

I also had an old AMEX back in the day (87).  When I got my BCE card (I also wish I knew about the backdating when it was happening), the card had the year issued (as they were still processing my account), but when I got my Hhonours card, it came with '87 (same as the website)

 

As has been said before, when I get a new BCE card (or if I took the offer to upgrade to BCP), it will have the correct member since date.  However, as much as it might stroke my ego, I suspect (no, I KNOW) that no one else really cares.  (And I can get the same ego stroke by going to the website and looking at the member since date there).  

Message 16 of 25
Established Contributor

Re: Amex member since question


UncleB wrote:

nyancat wrote:

 


UncleB wrote:

 

Side note:  my own Amex cards each have a different "member since" date: my BCP shows 2015, my PRG shows 2016 and my Delta Gold shows 1995 (I was logged into the Amex website when I apped for the Delta, which is why it has the 'correct' date.)  For the folks who care, it's been reported that when new cards are sent out (for any reason) this date is usually updated to match the website date; I'll get to see in a few years when my own cards expire.


All US consumer Amex cards are now available with contactless, so that would be a good reason to call now, and ask them to send you contactless cards if you don't already have them (some people get them by default but you usually have to ask).


Yeah, Pooka mentioned that a while back (that contactless is now available) but honestly it's just not that important to me. 

 

The only people that see my cards (other than myself) are the cashiers working the drive-thru at fast food places and no offense to them but I'm just not that concerned with my first impression... LOL.  Further, from what I've heard contactless can still be hit-and-miss, and that's for the places where it's accepted to begin with (which are not many of the places I frequent anyway).

 

Thanks for the suggestion, though.  For somebody who really cares about that stuff (or will be traveling overseas, where I've read it can be helpful) it's a great excuse to call them up and have the cards resent.  Smiley Wink


Contactless is freaking brilliant, but yes, acceptance in the US is poor (here in the UK, a place that doesn't accept it is rare), and everywhere, US and UK, Amex isn't as good as Visa/MC. There are shops that take contactless, and take Amex, but don't take Amex contactless.

 

It's still great, and you'll learn where it works and where it doesn't quickly. It isn't a huge issue if it doesn't, the terminal beeps and tells you to insert the card.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 17 of 25
Established Member

Re: Amex member since question

Regarding what you wrote "Those lucky enough to be opened before the cutoff are grandfathered into continued 'backdating'."

I was backdated once before in 1998, from a card I had gotten in 1988. Now I was approved for, and am waiting for a new Amex BCP to arrive, but my log-in screen reads Member Since 1988. For real

Are you saying that if someone was backdated at an earlier time, they will continue to be backdated - even if said person has just come back to Amex? 

If I wasn't clear, I had an Amex back in 1988 - I closed the acct. Then got another in 1998 (they backdated that card) and I defaulted on that Amex, and now I am coming around for a third time having just been approved for a new BCP. And I won't mess it up this time....

As of 12/31/16:
EQ 752 TU 754 EX 755 and climbing fast.
Goal: 800 by June 2017
Message 18 of 25
Moderator

Re: Amex member since question


Poster-Child wrote:

Regarding what you wrote "Those lucky enough to be opened before the cutoff are grandfathered into continued 'backdating'."

I was backdated once before in 1998, from a card I had gotten in 1988. Now I was approved for, and am waiting for a new Amex BCP to arrive, but my log-in screen reads Member Since 1988. For real

Are you saying that if someone was backdated at an earlier time, they will continue to be backdated - even if said person has just come back to Amex? 

If I wasn't clear, I had an Amex back in 1988 - I closed the acct. Then got another in 1998 (they backdated that card) and I defaulted on that Amex, and now I am coming around for a third time having just been approved for a new BCP. And I won't mess it up this time....


No, that isn't what he means.  He just means that those that opened the cards prior to March, 2015 had them backdated and those cards still report that way.  Your new card will report as opened in 2016

Message 19 of 25
Super Contributor

Re: Amex member since question


Irish80 wrote:

Poster-Child wrote:

Regarding what you wrote "Those lucky enough to be opened before the cutoff are grandfathered into continued 'backdating'."

I was backdated once before in 1998, from a card I had gotten in 1988. Now I was approved for, and am waiting for a new Amex BCP to arrive, but my log-in screen reads Member Since 1988. For real

Are you saying that if someone was backdated at an earlier time, they will continue to be backdated - even if said person has just come back to Amex? 

If I wasn't clear, I had an Amex back in 1988 - I closed the acct. Then got another in 1998 (they backdated that card) and I defaulted on that Amex, and now I am coming around for a third time having just been approved for a new BCP. And I won't mess it up this time....


No, that isn't what he means.  He just means that those that opened the cards prior to March, 2015 had them backdated and those cards still report that way.  Your new card will report as opened in 2016


Right.   Simply put, there is just one "rule""   Just like any other issuer, ALL newly opened Amex cards  that report will report to the credit bureaus with the actual open date.

 

(Website and card may show earlier dates, but that has no FICO impact, and vanishingly small other impact!)

Message 20 of 25