cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex myth... Spending limit higher on Plat than Gold ???

tag
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Amex myth... Spending limit higher on Plat than Gold ???

Hello everyone, 

I had a question regarding the internal spending limits that are placed on amex charge cards... I know these cards have a NPSL, but however they do have internal limits placed on each account.. Do you feel that amex is more genourous with the amount your allowed to charge on a Plat verses a Gold card.... ( I am primarly wondering about the Business Plat and Business Gold, but would also like the experiences from users with personal cards.... )

I know that the cards have NPSL, and that spending limits are determined by many factors such as credit score, credit history, amex payment/spending history, amex internal score, and income... 

But I was thinking the the person that is paying $450 for an AF verses $175 for the SPG would be able to charge more a month...... I will be applying for a business card next year, but just wanted to know what happens with others... I already have a Gold personal card... Was FR'ed a month back and have a hard limit of3k....just want to build some solid history with them before applying.... 

For me personally.... I dont travel much so the Plat is of no real use to me, but lets say I had a Plat and was paying the $450 AF and had a spending limit of 15K verses 10K on a gold, that alone to me is worth paying the AF....... And the fact that I write some it off under business expenses....  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
laboi_22
Established Contributor

Re: Amex myth... Spending limit higher on Plat than Gold ???

I had a Gold business card. I used it for a bit. I then requested a personal card. I got the Zync. I started using the Zync and paying it off the day the statement cuts. I left the Gold alone. After a month I called for my internal spending limit for my business. They said 3500. I called Zync and asked for my internal limit. It was 5500. I then decided to cancel my Gold. I had until August but decided to cancel since 25 AF is better than Golds AF. I don't much care about rewards. I just wanted AMEX and a good spending limit. I think usage and history is different for each account. That's been my experience.
Current Scores: EX - 728 FICO (5/11/13) TU - 771 FICO (7/02/13) EQ ??

Current Cards: Chase Freedom $5,000, CSP $5,700, BofA Visa Signature $15,000, AMEX BCE $6,000, Walmart $4,150, Gap Visa $10,000, JC Penny $5,800, Lowes $8,500, Dillard's AMEX $8,000, AMEX Hilton HHonors - $2,000, Chase United $12,000, Citi AAdvantage & Simplicity $6,000/$6,000, SPG AMEX $1,000
Message 2 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

My zync has a great limit as well. I'm up to 3500 a month in actual charges. I don't know what the internal limit isat this point but I've been paying the day after statement cuts. This time I paid before the statement cut to avoid the balnce reporting. My fiance is apping for nfcu and I'm afraid that zync balance would scare them. He's sitting at less than 9% util when the 0 balance reports.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 3 of 10
youngman1234
Established Contributor

I like to have business credit cards rather than use my personal ones for business.... I have many personal cards but use them all for my business, this kills my score every month eventhough i PIF...... By having business credit cards they dont show up on the personal credit report, this is why i want to have them..... I got a Chase INk for 5K... so happy so far.... Im going to wait until Dec 12 or Jan 13 until I apply for a amex..... 

Message 4 of 10
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I now have a Platinum, but had the PRG for about a year before the Platinum.  My spend patterns were about the same with both cards.  I can't say that my internal limit isn't better now that I have the Platinum because I've never asked what it is, but with either card I haven't had any issues butting up against the limit.   I run about $5K average/month in business travel expenses through my card.  Occasionally I have higher months.  I've had no trouble charging up to about $30K on PRG or Platinum.  I don't think they give much weight to the type of card.  The AF is for the benefits, not for your credit line.  I think usage and payment history play huge factors in your internal limit.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
Blzer

On my PRG and Plat, they were half of my gross income. Any charge that was more required a FR. This is from playing around with Amex's (How much can I spend)
Message 6 of 10
GST2008
Frequent Contributor

I have had the business gold since 2007. I just checked the purchase approval limit button last week and was approved for $55,000. I would never need that amount or be able to pay it off at the end of the month but like to check periodically Smiley Happy I use the card regularly, have never missed a payment, and put anywhere from 2,000 to 6,000 through each month. The internal limit has definitely increased over time. When they first put the button up, I could only get approved for 10,000

Current:
TU (5/14/14): 796 (Inquiries; 8/23/13)
EQ (3/23/14): 791 (Inquiries: 8/23/13)
EX (9/24/13): 780 (Inquiries: 7/2/12; 11/20/12; 7/30/13; 8/23/13)

Goals: No new inquiries for 2014, 800 for all CRs by 12/31/14
Message 7 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think Amex evolves the internal limit system constantly, When we first had Gold Business it wouldn't let me charge much over $3k... Finally was told to write a letter saying I need $10k, I never received a response but I also never had issues charging anymore and they increased the internal charge line each month of full payment... then fast forward and I went about 6 months of not charging over like $1-2k and I got declined for something and called and they said the internal limit was reduced and that Amex was now taking an average each 3 months to adjust internal limit.  That was also the last I heard of that way....

but im pretty sure color of card does not effect internal limit.

Message 8 of 10
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

My recent Amex plat was the first rewards card I've ever had. Mostly I picked it for the lack of foreign ex fees and lounge access. I have a couple of regular cards that converted from secured cards a year ago. My AAoA is a bit under 2 years. One of the reasons I got the plat was the NPSL. While I am retired, I do have high income and a lot of other assets but had used debit cards up until I learned how credit works. I just  didn't realize that not having any credit cards or any LOCs was damaging scores that could affect insurance rates and such.

The first month I charged almost 10k and increased spending since. I have since purchased items exceeding 20k. I have no idea what my actual SL is but it looks like it is adequate.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 10
dmbtay
Regular Contributor

doesn't matter what card you have, just matters what your spending & paying patterns are + what AMEX believes you can pay.  Our internal limit is about $55k, and this was formed after spending roughly $12k per month on the card and PIF, then hitting a few consecutive months with big ticket $25K - $50k charges.  On our largest charge they called and ask that we pay some of it early since we had reached our max threshold.. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.