cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex not removing authorized User

tag
Justin9825

Amex not removing authorized User

I was an authorized user on someones account for about a year. I decided I didn't want it on my report anymore because I wanted my credit to be MY credit not because of someone else on my report. Anyways I disputed the item with Experian, Transunion, and Equifax. Problem I have now is Equifax will not remove it from my report, it just shows up as closed, "terminated". Transunion and Experian has completely made the item disappear from my report like it never happened. What should I do? When I call AMEX they say it's up to Equifax but Equifax's website says they contact the company in question to verify account information. So it seems like it is up to AMEX what they do. Am I right or wrong?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: Amex not removing authorized User

Did Amex actually terminate the ACM relationship for you?  If so, I would submit another dispute on the grounds of the tradeline not being yours.  Equifax did something similar to me with an old collection that was not valid; I disputed, they marked as paid when the other CRA's deleted.  I eventually had to file another dispute to get it deleted.  If neither Amex nor EQ want to play ball, I would try filing a complaint against EQ with the CFPB.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Call the main holder of the Amex account to remove you as AU. Probably the easiest way to go about doing this.

Once he/she takes you off, Amex will update the bureaus that you are taken off. Account might still show as closed or something like that since its indeed true you were a user of the account for that period of time
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 10
Justin9825

I'm not sure what happen. I believe the account holder removed me at the same time I was disputing it. I forgot to mention I have tried to dispute this with Equifax twice now. After the first time I just turned around and disputed it again... same result. I just can't figure out who is being stubborn in this sitation, Equifax or AMEX? What is the CFPB? Never heard of that.

Message 4 of 10
Leadberry
Established Contributor

@Justin9825 wrote:

I'm not sure what happen. I believe the account holder removed me at the same time I was disputing it. I forgot to mention I have tried to dispute this with Equifax twice now. After the first time I just turned around and disputed it again... same result. I just can't figure out who is being stubborn in this sitation, Equifax or AMEX? What is the CFPB? Never heard of that.

CFPB = Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.  If you file a dispute with the CRA's and you believe they did not properly investigate the matter or you don't agree with their results, you can file a complaint with the CFPB.  If they think there is merit to your claim they will investigate for you.  However as enharu said, I'm not sure you have a basis to have the TL removed as you were indeed an AU on the account for a period of time.

Are there any negative flags associated with the account?

FICO Scores 800+
Message 5 of 10
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

I just got my final baddie off of equifax after two dispute attempts.  I can tell you that its literally ALL in the wording of your dispute.

I called Equifax (you will need a report number) and got a rep.  I was as nice to him as I can be because I believe we always get more bees with sugar rather than vinegar.

I explained the situation and then I asked, "If you were going to write this dispute, what would you say exactly?"

He actually wrote my dispute for me and it was removed about a week or so later.

Maybe try that? 

Hope it helps

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 6 of 10
Justin9825

No it was a 30k limit and balance never went over 8k. I understand I was a AU but since Experian and Transunion removed it I don't understand why Equifax won't. I mean the credit bureau's did try to get that law to pass a couple years back where AU's were not to be reported on CR because of piggybacking. So I just figured they would be happy to remove it.

Message 7 of 10
Justin9825

Thanks Pilotdude maybe I'll try that.

Message 8 of 10
enharu
Super Contributor

I guess each company has their own policies. Like pilotdude said, try to be nice and see if that helps.

Other than that if the Amex account is in good standing, might as well let it be on there since its only boosting your credit score, not dragging it down.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know for certain on this; however, Amex generates a seperate tradeline for ACMs rather than simply just taking the history of the current member and adding it to your report.

It's possible with the change they made to reach the current policy, that the tradeline in this case is yours.   This is hypothetical as I can't understand why it would be like this otherwise.  Traditionally an AU tradeline drops off upon request, but this sounds supciously different with how the tradeline is reporting, and Amex is anything but typical when it comes to AU/ACMs.

Edit: as a prior user stated, if it's in good standing it's likely not hurting you; however, Amex is probably the one to call in this case.

        
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.